PDA

View Full Version : Gecko

Kiefels
24-12-2009, 02:54 PM
Hi good folk of WOD

I have a question that for some reason the answer although simple is eluding me and possibly others.

I have a Wiikey chipped Wii. (japanese)

Currently I am running 3.4j version software but if I play some of the newer games I have to update to 4.1/4.2.

My confusion starts because if I update to 4.2 it knocks my Wiikey chip out so I can no longer play backed up games through the normal disc channel.

However...If i run gecko through HBC I can run any game ntsc-pal original or back-up.

Incase you are unaware. Gecko is a software that allows you to play ntsc or pal format games regardless of the wii region.

Soooooooo...

If it is allowing me to play backed up games through gecko is this because it is utilising my wiikey or bypassing nintendo non-original games discs protocols?

If it's the latter this brings me to another question.

Why go to the trouble and risk of messing around with ios files and wads to install a pre-loader when all you have to do is install gecko through the HBC and eliminate bricking risks?

Thanks in advance on any light shed on this mind puzzler and Happy Holidays to you all.

Kiefels
27-12-2009, 05:30 PM
Hmmmm..

I think I have found my answer.

I took some of my backed-up games to my other wii at my parents house(Un-Chipped). Installed HBC and gecko then tried to run one of my back-ups through gecko.

Result...No disc in drive.

So I'm guessing that some how gecko can run through my wiikey when the nintendo software bypasses it.