PDA

View Full Version : Freeview HD: Everything you need to know

Gazer
13-12-2009, 12:12 PM
Freeview HD is primed and ready to go, with Humax unleashing its two new hi-def boxes yesterday. So when can you lay your hands on one? And how exactly will it all work once you?ve got your precious new HD box under your TV? Read our complete guide now to find out.
You can?t get it just yet
While the Winter Hill transmitter up in the north west is already beaming out lovely Freeview HD signals, you can?t get it yet. That?s because there aren?t any Freeview HD boxes up for grabs at the moment, meaning if you want hi-def now, you still need Sky+HD or Freesat. But?
Humax Freeview HD boxes will land next year
Humax?s new boxes will be up for grabs in the first quarter of 2010 according to the set top sellers. the Humax HD-FOX T2 and DVB-T2 HD will both let you access the likes of BBC HD, ITV HD and Channel 4 HD without needing to pay a penny on top of the cost of the box.

Humax Freeview HD uses unPnP to access media over Wi-Fi
Rather than DLNA for media sharing, the Humax HD-FOX T2 and DVB-T2 HD use uPnP over Wi-Fi to snag other shows from wireless web enabled devices and sling them onto your 55-inch LCD. Eventually, Humax says its boxes will work as uPnP servers as well, so you can stream HD content to other TVs in your gaff. Neato!
Prices are still up in the air
Humax has yet to show its hand when it comes to how much its Freeview HD boxes will cost, although a spokesman says you?re looking at around ?170 for the low end T2 model. The iPlayer friendly 3View model has also yet to be priced. Expect cheaper models to fly onto shelves as the World Cup approaches next summer.

Gazer
12-02-2010, 02:07 PM
Just an update to this:

The first Freeview HD boxes will be available From this weekend in the shops. Freeview HD TVs will be available from March and Freeview+ HD recorders will be available later in Spring 2010. You can choose from a range of manufacturers, prices and product features. But they all come with 'just-like-real-life' picture quality and 'hear-a-pin-drop' sound from Dolby..............i cant wait ;)
Regards Gazer

Sicilian
12-02-2010, 02:34 PM
Get ya-self a VU+ Duo if you into your HD channels :wink:

Gazer
12-02-2010, 04:21 PM
Get ya-self a VU+ Duo if you into your HD channels :wink:

Hmmm Freeview HD boxes will start from around ?140, vu+Duo is around ?480 which is ok if you got the money to spend.

Sicilian
12-02-2010, 04:25 PM
Hmmm Freeview HD boxes will start from around ?140, vu+Duo is around ?480 which is ok if you got the money to spend.

Its ?399 :), but has a hell of a lot more of capabilities than a standard Freesat receiver :trustme:

Diablo13
12-02-2010, 06:38 PM
I would love to get a VU+Duo but its too rich for my blood, even at ?399.
The Humax boxes are more in my league but I await news of the VU+ single you mentioned Sic.
With a bit of luck as more HD boxes come on to the market some of the prices will come down. The advantages of having a Linux based box have not escaped me however.
Thanks for the update Gazer, :thumbup2:

DessertDog
12-02-2010, 07:21 PM
Well i hope its better than freesat HD cos the channels for HD aint increased that i have noticed since it came out total waste of 160 quid thats what i paid.

Diablo13
12-02-2010, 07:35 PM
There seems to be loads of HD channels out and coming out now DD.
The only problem is they all seem to be encrypted for Sky or VM cable.
So you can get quite a bit of HD content, but at a price, and you have to work out if you can afford it and is it actually worth it to get the same programs you get now, but in HD?

DessertDog
12-02-2010, 10:32 PM
There seems to be loads of HD channels out and coming out now DD.
The only problem is they all seem to be encrypted for Sky or VM cable.
So you can get quite a bit of HD content, but at a price, and you have to work out if you can afford it and is it actually worth it to get the same programs you get now, but in HD?

Yes i know m8 but the idea was that they would come to freesat and none have to my knoledge i wont be rushing to buy any other service that promises FREE HD may even up my Virgin and get HD that way the HD box i purchased is a waist of money as far as i see.There are none that broadcast HD all the time on Freesat not like sky and virgin.I was expecting at least 2 or 3 by now over a year later and still the same CRAP

thelostone
13-02-2010, 12:29 AM
i wonder how much is hd and how much is upscaled its one thing having these hd channels but if its only an upscaled picture then its not worth it.Take c4 hd as an example and i think i am right in thinking itv hd as well i dont think its all true hd.Only fools and horses are safe for now diablo:roflmao:

Diablo13
13-02-2010, 10:41 AM
I just saw this on a Maplins newsletter. It says ?99 as a B grade product, but they havent got any so it's ?149.99 Which doesn't seem bad? It is only a single tuner though, but worth a look I think?

Passion+ - HD Satellite Receiver for Free Digital TV with USB Recording : Satellite Recorders : Maplin (http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=224742&C=Email-Newsletter&U=10P02-3-B74LU&T=536903&utm_source=Newsletter&utm_medium=Email&utm_content=B74LU&utm_campaign=10P02-3)

Gazer
13-02-2010, 01:13 PM
well i'm looking at a new tv for the bedroom as the 42" plasma that i'v got in there at the moment is now 5 years old and cant get freeview, i,v got sky going to it, but that is a pain when i'm downstairs watching somethink on sky and the mrs starts shouting down to me to put the footy on for her :gun:(women)...........so i think as soon as the HD freeview tvs come out i shall change it

Diablo13
13-02-2010, 09:13 PM
You should look here Gazer, they get some great deals on telly's and the extended warranty is excellent!

All TVs | LCD TVs | Plasma TVs | Televisions | Richer Sounds (To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. By the way, my cheap LG has an HD Freesat tuner already built in!