PDA

View Full Version : Does sky+ recording work with no subscription ?

BraveHeart
03-12-2009, 07:43 AM
when i say no subscription, i mean just the having the card that gives you all the freesat channel's.

I have a basic sky+ tv subscrition just now and obviously the sky+ recording facility works fine, i have never ever had the box connected to a telephone line, only to the sat feed.

Basically what i need to know is, if i cancel my basic sky subscription and get a freesat card (or whatever its called), can i still use the recording function of the sky+ box ? I cant see why not as i see freesat+ box's advertised and they just seem like exactly the same thing.

can someone please advise, thanks.

Sicilian
03-12-2009, 08:22 AM
I believe you lose the functionality, not 100% sure on this. Pretty sure that's what I read once, but there are way's round it I believe. I'll do some digging around.

BraveHeart
04-12-2009, 12:30 AM
I believe you lose the functionality, not 100% sure on this. Pretty sure that's what I read once, but there are way's round it I believe. I'll do some digging around.
yea, thanks mate, would be good to find out.

but as i said, i see now that you can get freesat+ which records etc like sky+, and as you know, freesat dont have subscription, hmmm.

And also, like i said earlier, my sky+ has always worked perfect and ive never had it plugged into the phone socket once, despite some people telling me it had to be, but nope it dont, so i cant see how the sky+ feature would stop working, hmm, strange if it does, eh ?

Sicilian
04-12-2009, 08:02 AM
Done some searching around. You will lose your recording facility if you cancel your sky subs and you will not be able to view any encrypted recorded programs either.

BraveHeart
04-12-2009, 08:43 AM
Thanks mate.

ok, must be the card that holds the info then for turning the recording and playback functions on and off then, hmmm, strange.

I wonder how freesat is doing it then, same signal, same channels, same recording, and no subscription.

you know what i should try, silly me, lol, ive never tried this, i should just pull the card out the sky+ box and see if i can record bbc1 etc, its just all the basic channels iam interested in anyway, 1,2,3,4,5, channel 4+1, itv2, itv4, thats about it, but still would be good to be able to have the recording function of the sky+ box to record them channels, i wonder what the difference is with freesat+ is then ?

krazylegz
06-12-2009, 01:23 AM
you can record free channels if you cancel your sub but pay them ?10 a month, however if you have a sub then the ?10 fee is scrapped.

freesat boxes dont have NDS encryption like sly boxes

BraveHeart
06-12-2009, 01:27 AM
you can record free channels if you cancel your sub but pay them ?10 a month, however if you have a sub then the ?10 fee is scrapped.

freesat boxes dont have NDS encryption like sly boxes

ahhh, so thats the answer then, i see i see, thanks mate.

well iam fe**ed if iam paying 10quid just for the record function, be better off just getting a freesat box, eh ?

whats the deal with them anyway, you just buy any freesat box which comes brand new with a card and thats it for life, eh ?? i dunno, thats why i ask

(or can i turn my sky+ box into a freesat+ box by simply getting the correct card from sky ?)

cyclops1
09-12-2009, 11:00 PM
I have got a minimum channel setup on a sky + box.Was working perfect up untill I changed to a Hd bo. Got it seperately as to avoid movie subscription on top of hd one. (Ido try to stay legal in the front room as various enforcment officials are at my premises at times. nothing wrong just as liason). HDbox went down after 2 days so sent to supplier,have to wait for a swop after they check it out. Did not re-initiate my sky card on sky plus box did not see any point for a few days. Recorded my usual set of suspectes.
Went to play them and got "recording interupted" on screen The only good recording was Jeremy clarksons Top Gear.. The wife loves that I hate It.thats a personal choice though. So tried some progs at random. The only runners were The BASIC BASIC .what I would expect from pre digital days. None of the freeview . I live in a antenna restricted area.just piped .they dont do freeview just Vir*** I refuse to pay them as well for free to air. . Have not reactivated the sky+ box as I keep hoping the HD replacement will arrive any day.. (we do have a starview HD up in the bedroom for the wife fitted this last weekend) so far thats so good. Got a techie fellow I know to sort it for her at his house. Will keep you posted on ongoing if you are intrested ust the button bottom right