PDA

View Full Version : Modding my Wii

pande_monium
27-11-2009, 03:51 AM
Here's the current status on my Wii hack journey...
- Wii firmware version 4.1
- aad1f_v108.zip worked for me 1st time
- Homebrew channel installed successfully
- DVDx installed successfully
- HackMii IOS installed

Now when I try to install BootMii via the Homebrew channel (Home > Launch BootMii)... I see a screen with 4 icons Wii, The homebrew channel, SD & 2 gears (presumably settings)... and then nothing happens. It freezes.

What's going wrong here?

Also, the Wii won't recognise any DVDs/backups yet... what do I need to do now?

cozmo
27-11-2009, 09:15 AM
Hi pande_monium the bootmii screen is a pain in the ass. Its not frozen m8 you use the reset button and power button and so on on the front of the wii to move and select the options in bootmii can not remember what buttons do what but easy to find out

hope this help

Cozmo :)

pande_monium
27-11-2009, 11:36 AM
Hi pande_monium the bootmii screen is a pain in the ass. Its not frozen m8 you use the reset button and power button and so on on the front of the wii to move and select the options in bootmii can not remember what buttons do what but easy to find out

hope this help

Cozmo :)

Dang! You're good !

Power = Navigate
Reset = Select

So, that's one part of the mystery resolved. Now, for the important bit lol !

I've got 2 backups that I want to try (Resident Evil & New Super Mario Bros). But, neither of them work. They're just not recognised. Neither does it recognise any DVD I try to play in it.

cozmo
27-11-2009, 12:03 PM
right for dvd to play u need dvdx installed and you need mplayer on you sd card and the load in HBC as for the games New Super Mario Bros has new copy protection and needs patching if not patched then to play on softmoded wii u need neo7 game loader not sure about the other game but if not installed us perloader for the rest

patch for usa New Super Mario Bros
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. this helps

Cozmo

thesparky
28-11-2009, 04:34 PM
New Super Mario Bros fix

USB Loaders:

First run DOP-IOS Mod and make sure that you have the newest version of IOS-53V5406.

You will need to install cios rev 14 from Wanikoko and have the latest rev of Neogamma R8 beta 12 or USB Loader GX. There is no patching needed play the game after you add it to a hard drive through USB Loader GX.

Files:

NeogammaR8Beta12: Free File Hosting Made Simple - MediaFire (To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. USBLoaderGX:Downloads - usbloader-gui - Project Hosting on Google Code (http://code.google.com/p/usbloader-gui/downloads/list)

Dop-IOS MOD: Dop-IOS/Dop-IOS MOD - WiiBrew (http://wiibrew.org/wiki/Dop-IOS_MOD)

CIOSR14 w/wad for install: Free File Hosting Made Simple - MediaFire (To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Disk Loaders:

*This is a pain but it works No 10 minute freezes no stupidity.*

*This is for a unmodded iso file for either PAL or NTSC*

First make sure you are ciosr14 you can get the link above.

Download this pack: NSMB PACK.zip (http://wehackwii.pbworks.com/f/NSMB+PACK.zip)

Run the wiikey.reg program in the trucha folder. Run the truncha program. Under Select keyset. Select custom keyset one.

Load your iso. Under partition > sysfiles there should be a main.dol replace it will the pal or ntsc dols included in the pack depending on your region.
(this part i did have two partitions, RELSAB and SMNP01, only patch SMNP01)

http://wehackwii.pbworks.com/f/1258827479/NSMBT1.jpg

Now you will need to trucha sign the disk and your iso will be ready to use.
http://wehackwii.pbworks.com/f/1258827477/NSMBt2.jpg
On to the wii apps.

In the pack there are a few applications. First you will need to run pimp my wii. Just run the test and replace feature and say yes to everything. basically press A for all

That program makes sure you aren't missing or outdated on any ios's.

Next run the CiosR15 installer.leave the setting as is

Then run hermes Ciosr4 installer. also leave as is

Then use uloader 3.1 and select dvd in the upper right corner.

Click configure select cios249 and click ok.

Load the game and enjoy.

This has been tested on multiple NTSC and PAL systems and is the only way to get it to work on disk.

been work for around 3 hours now and no freezing, even with the sd card removed and the box reset

Enjoy lads

Collider
28-11-2009, 06:44 PM
@ sparky one question regarding th ewi fix for disc channel only,can i do the trucha signing and not have to run any homebrew on wii or is it inevitable i need to run homebrew on it

BTW have wasabi DX installed

thesparky
28-11-2009, 08:04 PM
any truncha apps ive seen run through the homebrew channel, so it would be inevitable to run the HBC

the above is for 4.1 and below, ive since manged to get the 4.2 tutorial if needed including files

Collider
28-11-2009, 08:11 PM
Ok thanks mate the reason i asked is i recently done a wii with wasabi dx because due to me not reading enough :) the previous one turned into a nice paperweight lol

thesparky
28-11-2009, 08:30 PM
lol a new white brick,

hold onto it you never know

Collider
28-11-2009, 09:22 PM
Sold it already for spares on ebay and bought second hand one so worked out i only lost 25 quid on it :)

pande_monium
01-12-2009, 06:27 PM
right for dvd to play u need dvdx installed and you need mplayer on you sd card and the load in HBC as for the games New Super Mario Bros has new copy protection and needs patching if not patched then to play on softmoded wii u need neo7 game loader not sure about the other game but if not installed us perloader for the rest
patch for usa New Super Mario Bros
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. this helps
Cozmo

@Cozmo - I think I've installed DVDx whilst doing the Bannerbomb hack. Isn't it part of the 3 apps you install? Think only BootMii got installed as ISO. I've also got MPlayer CE installed and it loads ok on HBC. But, it won't recognise the DVDs I give it! But then I've tried only a couple... let me try a few more.

Believe I've got the PAL version of the New Super Mario Bros on DVD and believe it must be patched - I got it off M-S. Will check it again tonight though - I might be mistaken.

Where do I get "perloader" from? I don't think its on the HBC...

@Sparky - Many thanks mate.. :hail: :hail: :hail:

I've got 3 backups on DVD... but going forward, I'm planning on putting everything to a USB Disk. In fact will probably end up putting these on USB HDD too. But, in order to be able to do both, I assume I need to do the following (assembled from your notes above... just so I get it straight!):

------------USB Loader-------------------------

Run DOP-IOS Mod and make sure that I have the newest version of IOS-53V5406 [LINK (http://wiibrew.org/wiki/Dop-IOS_MOD)]
Install CIOS rev 14 from Wanikoko [LINK (To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Install USB Loader GX [LINK (To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Loader-------------------------

Download NSMB Pack [LINK (http://wehackwii.pbworks.com/f/NSMB+PACK.zip)]
Run the wiikey.reg program in the trucha folder.
Run the truncha program. Under Select keyset, select custom keyset one.
Load game iso. Under partition > sysfiles there should be a main.dol
Replace it will the pal or ntsc dols included in the pack depending on your region. (only patch SMNP01 ??)

Trucha sign the disk and the game iso will be ready to use
Run pimp my wii. Run the "test & replace" feature. Say "Yes" to everything (press A for all)
Run the CIOS R15 installer. Leave the setting as is.
Run "hermes Ciosr4 installer". Also leave as is.
Use uloader 3.1 and select DVD in the upper right corner.
Click configure select cios249 and click ok.
Load the game & enjoy.

I'm going home to try this today... fingers crossed :)... wish me luck!

Cheers once again guys.

Collider
01-12-2009, 06:46 PM
Google wiibrew pande,first link mate ;)

pande_monium
02-12-2009, 03:48 AM
@Sparky - The Mediafire links for CIOS rev14 & Neogammabeta8R12 don't work. Found Neogammabeta8R12.gaby.rar on Mediafire and have downloaded it... but not sure if its the same.

Where can I get the CIOS rev14 from? Tried googling... it brings up some sites, but no download link which works. But then... its almost 3am... and I'm too tired. Will check tomorrow.

Collider
02-12-2009, 09:16 AM
Cios Rev 14 :)

http://www.box.net/shared/dcv3f1y9e0

pande_monium
03-12-2009, 11:35 PM
When attaching the USB drive to the Wii... what format should the Operating system be? FAT/FAT32/NTFS?

Reason I ask is - I'm unable to copy the images of the games to the drive because it is > 4GB.

I tried it on my MAC and my PC as well... neither are allowing me to do this. I know this is a FAT32 file limit issue, and I tried unrar-ing it directly to the drive too (which usually works), but it didn't either.

Any way out guys?

Also, when I try to trucha sign the file on my desktop pc, it says the data is corrupted... tried it on 3 different ISOs... same issue on all 3. What do you reckon I'm doing wrong?

pande_monium
04-12-2009, 02:22 AM
Update:

Did the Pimp My Wii and installed everything that was recommended.
Installed the CIOS38 R14
Installed the CIOS38 R15
Ran uLoader and popped in a Game Backup of Resident Evil... worked first time! Yay!! I am now able to run the backups via Disk now :banana4::banana4:

Am also able to download, install and run various apps from the HomeBrew channel - Wolfenstein was once my favourite back in those days... brought back a smile and fond memories :). Also ran the Internet Radio channel... all good. :banana4::banana4:

Then wanted to check DVDs. Ran MPlayerCE and popped in a DVD. Selected Play DVD, it mounted it ok... but does nothing. Pressing some buttons gets a counter at the top left, but no video/audio. This was an original DVD... not a backup or anything. So, should've worked for sure. Tried to install DVDx after downloading it from HomeBrew. It goes thru the motions and then pops up with a couple of error messages. :-O:thumbdown:

What am I doing wrong?

Also the earlier question still stands - will the Wii recognise NTFS? Otherwise, how else can I copy the games to USB Drive?

Last, but not the least... thank you Sparky, Collider & Cozmo... :hail: :hail: :hail:

Collider
04-12-2009, 08:57 AM
Whwn i had hmoebrewed wii for plaing games i use to run them from SD card and then via neogamma to load them,not sure about usb drives but did find compatibility list for you ;)

USB Mass Storage Devices - WiiBrew (http://wiibrew.org/wiki/USB_Mass_Storage_Devices)

pande_monium
04-12-2009, 12:41 PM
Whwn i had hmoebrewed wii for plaing games i use to run them from SD card and then via neogamma to load them,not sure about usb drives but did find compatibility list for you ;)

Cheers Coll... but most games don't fit on a SD Card. I'll end up buying 8gb cards for each game or buy a 16gb card and fit 3 games on it! Its much much cheaper to burn the ISOs on the DVD and play them.

Or put them on to a USB hdd and play them... but then... the issue of 4gb crops up. Hence the question... does the Wii recognise NTFS?

Collider
04-12-2009, 03:52 PM
Not true mate try http://wbfsmanager.codeplex.com/Release/ProjectReleases.aspx?ReleaseId=26808#DownloadId=67 341

Pretty sure it will format any SD card to run games from (load via neogamma or a usb loader channel wad) and also trims them if i remember rightly.

some games are pretty small as alot are filled with zeros to pad them out

BTW its open program then options/advanced/partitions to keep and just select only game partition

sifurlong
07-12-2009, 03:17 PM
The USB Hard drive needs to be formatted to WBFS (Wii Backup File System).
This is done via the software mentioned earlier (WBFS Manager).
The software will format the drive then allow you to load the isos on the hard drive, it will also strip out the dummy data and reduce the size of your isos saving you a heap of Hard Disk space. You will then need software such as USBLoader GX, to run the isos from the USB drive

cozmo
08-12-2009, 09:43 PM
pande_monium sorry bit late but been bit bizzy. Here is a link for the latest preloader 3.0r4 you must look on net and get a hack.ini for the region you are using eg pal/ntsc and is must be the right one for the os your using eg 4.1 , 4.2 and so on when you get it put it on the root of the sd card if you don't get the hack.ini file on the root then the hacks wont work on preloader

http://wiinewz.com/forums/attachments/wii-software-hacking-and-customization/3278d1256077289-preloader-v0-30-installer-removal-tool-preloaderv0.30r4-phpgeek.rar

as for the dvd mate i only have played with mplayer for a little wile so don't really know alot about the settings sorry m8 just know that's what they use for playing dvds and yes you do load dvdx from bootmii

Cozmo

saffronfox
09-12-2009, 02:18 AM
Using an external USB hard disk drive improves the load and play speed of the game and like sifurlong said The USB Hard drive needs to be formatted to WBFS.

As the PC does not recognize a WBFS-formatted drive, it is a good idea to have at least one partition in a format that allows your PC to access the HDD.
When you partition your hdd dont format the partition you intend to use for your backups as you will format this with WBFS Manager, after its formated in wbfs format you can load your backup using WBFS Manager.

Plug your Wii HDD into the OUTERMOST USB PORT. Power up Wii, from the system menu activate USB Loader GX, Load USB HDD.

i also find backups that wont load from USB Loader GX will work with NeoGamma.

pande_monium
10-12-2009, 12:46 AM
Some good advice there Cozmo/saffronfox

Plug your Wii HDD into the OUTERMOST USB PORT.

Why outermost?

And, which one is outermost? There's 2 USB ports side by side... which one do you consider the outermost port?

I've got a twin USB port to a mini USB port cable because my hdd tends to draw more power... so, in effect, I'll be using both ports! Does this screw it up somehow?

saffronfox
10-12-2009, 09:12 PM
Some good advice there Cozmo/saffronfox

Why outermost?

And, which one is outermost? There's 2 USB ports side by side... which one do you consider the outermost port?

I've got a twin USB port to a mini USB port cable because my hdd tends to draw more power... so, in effect, I'll be using both ports! Does this screw it up somehow?
the outer most usb port is the lower or left USB port depending on Wii position, as for your hdd i am not too sure dont think it will the hdd i use for my wii has a standerd USB 2.0 A to B Lead and a ext 12 v Power Supply.

pande_monium
15-12-2009, 02:55 PM
Gotcha... mine's upright, so its the left one you're referring to.

ATM I'm using a 2.5" 60gb with a cable that has 2xUSB at one end and 1xUSB mini at the other. The end with the normal USB ports has the extra port to draw in more power when needed.

I've partitioned it equally so that there's WBFS and FAT32 on the 2 partitions. I'm thinking of removing the FAT32 partition and just use the whole disk for WBFS so as to utilize it better. The FAT32 partition is really not doing me any good. Since I've already put 6-7 games on the WBFS partition, is there any way to extend the WBFS partition so as to span the whole disk WITHOUT moving the games off it first?

sifurlong
16-12-2009, 12:43 PM
No, you will need to move them of the hard drive first as the formating of the WBFS system is just that a formatting tool and not one that partitions.

There are 2 options for getting the isos off the drive, either copy them to another WBFS drive using the option in the manager or Extract the isos to an NTFS drive again using the option in the manager

saffronfox
17-12-2009, 01:43 AM
as sifurlong said no you will need to take them back off tho it dont take too long to be fair, i needed to partition mine as i still use it as storage for films and stuff, tho i am going to get a new hd just for the will in the new year, as well as that i rar all my backups and store them else were incare the wii hd gives up.

i have also found that you can fit alot more on a drive formatted in WBFS the in NTFS, i have a 1tb drive with a 200gig partion for WBFS have 27 backups on it and its only just half full.

pande_monium
25-01-2010, 12:07 PM
Hey gang!!

Did my mate's Wii last night... this is the 2nd Wii besides my own that I've done.

Thanks only to you folks taking the time out and helping me learn the ropes.

Just wanted to thank you all once again... :hail::hail::hail::hail::hail:

Mine was on 4.1E. Both my mate's Wiis were on 3.4E.

notanotherone
25-01-2010, 12:23 PM
Hey gang!!

Did my mate's Wii last night... this is the 2nd Wii besides my own that I've done.

Thanks only to you folks taking the time out and helping me learn the ropes.

Just wanted to thank you all once again... :hail::hail::hail::hail::hail:

Mine was on 4.1E. Both my mate's Wiis were on 3.4E.

ooo good now we know where to send them :roflmao: