PDA

View Full Version : BBC iPlayer launches Wii channel

thelostone
17-11-2009, 11:38 AM
Only consoles with a broadband connection in the UK will be able to run the channel.
To get the service, Wii owners will be able to download it from the console's online shop for free.
The BBC iPlayer has been on the Wii since April 2008 but many console owners reported problems with the original interface.
The iPlayer is also available on Sony's PlayStation 3 console.
The BBC is not the only broadcaster to experience difficulties with bringing its catch-up service to games consoles.
Sky launched the Sky Player on the Xbox 360 in October but Microsoft temporarily suspended the service almost straightaway due to "unprecedented levels of simultaneous demand".
Erik Huggers, direct of Future Media and Technology at the BBC, said that the evolved Wii service was an improvement on the old BBC iPlayer system, describing it as a "faster, high quality and improved viewing experience".
According to research company Chart Track GfK there are almost six million Wii consoles in British homes.
The catch-up radio and television service is also launching in trial, or beta, form on the Freesat TV platform later in November.
British broadcaster Channel 4 has concentrated on making its on-demand service 4OD more accessible on the internet. In October it announced that it would be showing entire programmes free of charge on YouTube.

ssmacc
17-11-2009, 08:21 PM
Thats good to know thanks, has anyone tried this on the Wii? Just wondering if the wireless connection is fast enough for streaming?

Cheers

tinkertiler
17-11-2009, 08:29 PM
Ah i know someone who wont be using this service lol Untill he fixes it that is lol

Collider
17-11-2009, 10:54 PM
Ah i know someone who wont be using this service lol Untill he fixes it that is lol

i bought another one,was easier lol ;)

tinkertiler
17-11-2009, 11:21 PM
Thats cheating col lol

Diablo13
17-11-2009, 11:38 PM
I am more impressed with the BBC Iplayer being shown on Freesat.
If you miss a program or your recorder fails to record, you can watch the program as normal on your big telly, without having to use your pc to watch it on a smaller monitor.
ITV have some catching up to do as you can download BBC Iplayer content and transfer it and watch it when ready.
The ITVplayer you can only watch online direct from the site and not download and store it. This means you have to watch the ad breaks as well, instead of being able to skip through them.

tender
07-01-2010, 07:37 PM
can you load this from sd card as downloading from wii shop will prob update the firmware and knock out my softmod

sifurlong
08-01-2010, 12:54 PM
Im sure there is ways to add it to a wii versions 4.1 and earlier.
If you download it directly forces you to update to 4.2 which then wipes out the softmod. You can softmod 4.2 wii's again, but it is quite long winded and takes about 30 minutes or so to do it.