PDA

View Full Version : netgear WGR614V9 set security ??

BraveHeart
13-11-2009, 04:26 PM
ive had a brand new virgin netgear router laying in the cupboard a while, decided to setup a modem and the router in one of the spare rooms.

anyway, ive never been a fan of routers, and therefore literally not a lot of experience with them.

basically, iam wanting to know what settings to change to make sure no one can steal/share my connection, i can get in the routerlogin.net page and stuff, but theres a few things in there iam not sure about, i just want to simply make sure its protected and no one can access my connection using the default passwords etc.

thanks guy.

p.s
should i still use smac to spoof nic mac too even with using a router ??

boodykaka
14-11-2009, 10:05 AM
The router should have been flashed with virgin media's own software, ie you cant update the firmware from netgear, if you log on the the router using your browser the default username is "virgin" and the password is "password"
the router can use WPA2 encryption (AES) but not TKIP, for wireless this is the best setting, use a passphrase that has letters & numbers, you can go a step further by using Mac address filtering in the wireless settings / setup access lists
in the Wan setup make sure the disable spi firewall is not ticked also respond to ping
thats about it

cant type much more got a bit of a hangover this morning

BraveHeart
14-11-2009, 05:54 PM
The router should have been flashed with virgin media's own software, ie you cant update the firmware from netgear, if you log on the the router using your browser the default username is "virgin" and the password is "password"
the router can use WPA2 encryption (AES) but not TKIP, for wireless this is the best setting, use a passphrase that has letters & numbers, you can go a step further by using Mac address filtering in the wireless settings / setup access lists
in the Wan setup make sure the disable spi firewall is not ticked also respond to ping
thats about it
cant type much more got a bit of a hangover this morning

thanks mate, i have turned on wpa2 encryption now and i think ive changed the correct password, thanks man.

Collider
14-11-2009, 07:36 PM
Please advise that this fix is not supported by Netgear Support/ Warranty. If you brick your devices you will not obtain NO WARRANTY!!

Hi everybody!

Yes, you've read the title right! This is a guide on how to update your firmware on the Netgear WGR614v9 from Virgin (FCC ID PY306400057)!

After having been searching the internet for something that feels like ages, this is what I've pieced together from everywhere to get the end result that I wanted: out with the Virgin customized firmware and in with the newest Netgear firmware!

So, this is what to do:

First of all you need to connect your computer to the WGR614v9 using a wired LAN connection.
Second you need a telnet client installed, it?s standard in Windows XP, but not Windows Vista.
Third, this is what you need to do:

1. Download the file wpn824_ko_2.12_1.2.9.zip file from the Korean Netgear support website (To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. or from the other locations found around the web http://netgear.co.kr/support/at_QAboard/support_qa_filedown.asp?filename=telnetEnable.zip and unzip it.
2. Login to Windows using an account which has administrative privileges (needed for sending custom crafted network packets which this tool does).
3. You will see a Microsoft Word document, which contains screenshots and instructions in korean language, a firmware update (you don't need this) and the telnetEnable.exe tool
4. Get the MAC address of your Netgear router. You can look it up on the web interface of your router (Maintenance -> Router status -> LAN port -> MAC Address).
5. Copy or type the MAC address to a text editor such as Notepad, Wordpad or write it down.
Remove any minus signs ( - ) or colons ( : ), replace all characters by their upper case representation (a -> A, d-> D etc.)
6. Copy the result of your editing to the clipboard and return to the command line window.
7. Type (without quotes) "telnetenable.exe", the IP address of your router (e.g. "192.168.1.1"), add another space (" "), paste the contents of the clipboard, and append " Gearguy Geardog". These are the default username and password for telnet console access (they differ from those of the web interface), you need to modify them appropriately if you changed them previously. The result should look similar to this: telnetenable.exe 192.168.1.1 000FB5A2BE26 Gearguy Geardog
8. Now press Enter to run the tool. It should return to the shell pretty quickly with no error. If it takes a long time and returns a 'send failed' error message, just try again.
9. You should now be able to login to the router via telnet from any computer in your local subnet (including the one you just used to activate the listening mode). To do so, type the following (no quotes): "telnet", append the IP of your router and press enter (e.g. telnet 192.168.1.1)
10. You should not be prompted a a login and password, but if you do the login is Gearguy and the password is Geardog - Correct character case is important here.
11. After successful authentication you will be presented a prompt such as: U12H09400 >
12. Then type ?burnboardid U12H094T00_NETGEAR?
13. Then type ?reboot?
14. After that, you can log back into the router via its web interface and flash it with the generic netgear firmware. (The newest is available here (http://kbserver.netgear.com/products/wgr614v9.asp).)
15. After flashing reset the router by holding in the reset button on the back of the router until the ?Ѵ-?sign on the front starts blinking.

Now your Netgear WGR614v9 from Virgin is working just like a generic Netgear WGR614v9, and all there is left to do is set it up using the normal web interface using http://192.168.1.1 (http://192.168.1.1/)!

from another place,also tried it with my one but could never get telnet working with the router so just gave up.

Plus user and setup manual enclosed ;)

Kiefels
17-12-2009, 03:08 AM
I did my router some months ago to enable my "Wireless Repeating Function"

It took me many attempts and many fcuk its and try it again in a few days to find out why it wouldn't work..

I know this seems very obvious now but trust me. I spent many hours on this before I spotted my problem.

Check that you have written your router mac address down correctly, check your spaces and check your punctuation.

Funny how its the little things we seem to overlook.

Derek Deeson
30-08-2014, 03:16 PM
TY this was great help