PDA

View Full Version : How to flash drive/3rrod

olly
29-10-2009, 09:18 PM
Hi folks,im wanting to have a go at flashing the drive of my xbox 360 to play backups,after i get rid of the 3rrod....also best way to deal with 3rrod,as my last attempt only lasted a few hours playtime.
Any tuts i can read and the programs/cables i may need to do this i would be greatfull.
Not sure what make of drive yet until i open it up to check again,cheers olly

tinkertiler
29-10-2009, 10:07 PM
If i was you i would try and send it back to MS for repair. The thing is with doing the rrod it never lasts! You will get some people that say yes they have had it working for so many months but most fail to make it last a few hours im afraid. Sending it back is the best solution if you havent already opened it and if you have put it on ebay and get rid of it and get a new one.

When you come to flash the drive Jungle flasher is the only program you will need and all instructions are on the site.

tonybod
30-10-2009, 09:37 AM
Hi folks,im wanting to have a go at flashing the drive of my xbox 360 to play backups,after i get rid of the 3rrod....also best way to deal with 3rrod,as my last attempt only lasted a few hours playtime.
Any tuts i can read and the programs/cables i may need to do this i would be greatfull.
Not sure what make of drive yet until i open it up to check again,cheers olly

I would also make sure you use decent heat transfer compound. I've used the cheap stuff before on computers, sometimes it only lasted an hour or so. The good stuff (the most expensive stuff Maplin sell) never gives me any problems.

I recently got an xbox for free that had the red lights. Repair had been done before, but obviously the heat compound was no good. It's still running fine three months later, no problems at all.

olly
30-10-2009, 09:11 PM
If i was you i would try and send it back to MS for repair. The thing is with doing the rrod it never lasts! You will get some people that say yes they have had it working for so many months but most fail to make it last a few hours im afraid. Sending it back is the best solution if you havent already opened it and if you have put it on ebay and get rid of it and get a new one.
When you come to flash the drive Jungle flasher is the only program you will need and all instructions are on the site.

TT,Already been opened,but have another on the way to try and fix,and was going to see how easy it was to flash the drive too,but after reading a little, a lot of it seems harder to understand than first thought it would be.Not sure where to start.

olly
30-10-2009, 09:14 PM
I would also make sure you use decent heat transfer compound. I've used the cheap stuff before on computers, sometimes it only lasted an hour or so. The good stuff (the most expensive stuff Maplin sell) never gives me any problems.
I recently got an xbox for free that had the red lights. Repair had been done before, but obviously the heat compound was no good. It's still running fine three months later, no problems at all.

Tony,do have the silver stuff now,not the cheapo,but whats the process involve fixing,is it the 2 chips under the cpu&gpu that need re-flowing to get rid of the 3rrod,or is it a case of the gpu/cpu need bonding together on the chips......im thinking the 1st? cheers

tinkertiler
30-10-2009, 10:07 PM
To flash it is the easy part unless you get a lite-on drive. have a look at jungle flasher the latest version and you will be good to go on there site is a very good tutorial and all the info you need is on there mate.

the guide is here - http://www.devilsps3.centelia.net/tutorials/JungleFlasher_User_Guide_06_March_2009.pdf

olly
31-10-2009, 07:46 PM
Cheers will have a read once i open the xbox up and fixed the 3rrod first.
Can it all be reversed if i cock it up?

tinkertiler
31-10-2009, 08:18 PM
MAKE SURE that you make a complete dump of the firmware and you have the correct key from it and you should be fine. The only one that can be a prroblem if you mess it u is the hitachi but i think that JF makes sure that everything is ok first before doing anything.

As long as you have got the key from the drive you can always recover in some way without it you could be in trouble

olly
01-11-2009, 12:59 PM
TT,is the key supplied once jf is opened,or do i have to search for it before i start anything? cheers

Do i need to buy any additional cables to connect the drive to flash it too.

Soz for all the Q`s,but prefer to know what im doing beforehand.

tinkertiler
01-11-2009, 01:14 PM
JF will store the key for you anyway im pretty sure of that and it checks its correct. You will only need additional hard ware if you have a lite on drive in it but if its a older model you should be ok without it

tonybod
02-11-2009, 09:10 AM
Tony,do have the silver stuff now,not the cheapo,but whats the process involve fixing,is it the 2 chips under the cpu&gpu that need re-flowing to get rid of the 3rrod,or is it a case of the gpu/cpu need bonding together on the chips......im thinking the 1st? cheers

I just followed the tutorial from the llamma xbox site (easily found on google).

olly
02-11-2009, 08:44 PM
Used that site before,well take another look.