PDA

View Full Version : windows 7 install

wullboy
24-10-2009, 05:54 PM
I have bought windows 7 full version, should i just do an upgrade as im running vista, or should i do a full install, Thanks ??

DessertDog
24-10-2009, 06:31 PM
Not sure you can do an upgrade m8 if its the full version im sure you need to buy the upgrade version thats how it used to be lol

thelostone
24-10-2009, 06:55 PM
my lappy was running vista but i did a new instal

berley
24-10-2009, 07:04 PM
you should take it back to the shop and wait on a pm from someone here ;)

wullboy
24-10-2009, 07:06 PM
you should take it back to the shop and wait on a pm from someone here ;)

ok berley......will do... ??

berley
24-10-2009, 07:28 PM
btw i'd like to make it clear it's not me, but i'll pm you details ;)

Diablo13
24-10-2009, 11:40 PM
From what I understand;
If you have never had Win 7 installed on your PC or laptop, but stuck with XP or Vista, you should be able to buy the update version, which is cheaper, install as an update and not lose any data.
If you have previously had a beta or trial version of Win 7 installed, then you need to do a full 'Clean' install. This means you will have to start from scratch and install all your programs again.
I had to do a full clean install when I upgraded because I had been running a beta version for some time. :mad:

Am I right about this? Please tell me if I am wrong?

Sicilian
25-10-2009, 08:41 AM
If it where me i'd do a re-format and complete fresh install and oh btw you have PM :wink:

saffronfox
25-10-2009, 09:40 PM
as said in last post fresh install is best way, i always partition 3 quarters of my drive for storage and install my os on the 1 quater just incase.

dont think much to windows 7 and never liked vista, still too much of an xp fan tho i said the same with 98 after being a 95 fan then got hooked on xp so who knows.

Diablo13
25-10-2009, 10:10 PM
You really should give Windows 7 a try saffronfox, it is a very nice quick operating system and worth the upgrade.
As it turns out you were right to stick with XP, although I personally liked Vista, it seems to have been universally branded a failure. As mentioned you can easily upgrade your system, with no loss of data. It is a well thought out and fast operating system.
From what you said you might as well do it now rather than wait and miss out on the benefits, unless of course you have an old steam driven system and you don't think it would take modernising? ;)

saffronfox
25-10-2009, 11:57 PM
thanks for the info Diablo13 and i do have a rig well within the capabilities of running win 7 and i do have the new os installed on a slave and have been running for last two days, but already i have ran into a few compatibility issues.

the one i am most annoyed about is Kaspersky 2009 will not install and all Kaspersky have to say is to buy 2010 edtion.

i still have vista on the lappie and did have it on the rig till sp1 killed it 3 times and sp2 messed up my wga then when i phoned them they told me i had a illagal copy even tho i got it from pc world lol.

win 7 does seem very smooth and from what i have seen so far uses next to no processes, but i just want to see what happens when they start rolling out the service packs.

Sicilian
26-10-2009, 07:08 AM
Your kaspersky 2009 serial will work with Kaspersky 2010 :wink:

saffronfox
26-10-2009, 10:04 AM
Your kaspersky 2009 serial will work with Kaspersky 2010 :wink:

thanks for that info, kaspersky support failed to mention that have now orderd 2010.
still 23 quid for 3 pc's aint bad and will just swoop the licence over to the kids pc, only got 3 months left on it anyway.