PDA

View Full Version : Another windows 7 question.....taskbar

BraveHeart
23-09-2009, 04:47 AM
in windows 7, you know when your on the internet and down the bottom of the screen is your taskbar right ?? well you'll have seen that when you have a few windows open and you hovver over the buttons on the taskbar it shows you an image of the actual window thats open rather then having to open the window and look yourself, clever eh, lol ?

well i want that option turned off now, it was great at first but as with lots of new things they become useless after a few hours, lol, so anyway guys, i cant see the option to turn this feature off, do you know what it is and how to get rid of it ???

cheers :)

Sicilian
23-09-2009, 07:19 AM
in windows 7, you know when your on the internet and down the bottom of the screen is your taskbar right ?? well you'll have seen that when you have a few windows open and you hovver over the buttons on the taskbar it shows you an image of the actual window thats open rather then having to open the window and look yourself, clever eh, lol ?
well i want that option turned off now, it was great at first but as with lots of new things they become useless after a few hours, lol, so anyway guys, i cant see the option to turn this feature off, do you know what it is and how to get rid of it ???
cheers :)

Goto control panel > performance information and tools > click on adjust visual effects on the left > then uncheck enable aero peek :wink:

BraveHeart
23-09-2009, 07:29 AM
Goto control panel > performance information and tools > click on adjust visual effects on the left > then uncheck enable aero peek :wink:

that was first thing i tried mate soon as i installed windows 7, it doesnt work, must be some other option that we cant see.

Sicilian
23-09-2009, 07:50 AM
that was first thing i tried mate soon as i installed windows 7, it doesnt work, must be some other option that we cant see.

your right, just checked. Got me baffled now lol!

Sicilian
23-09-2009, 09:32 AM
Just found this: -

1.Click on Start button and type GPEdit.msc in Instant Search text box, then hit Enter.
2.Navigate to User Configuration -> Administrative Templates -> Start Menu and Taskbar in left pane of Local Group Policy Editor.
3.Locate and double click on Turn off taskbar thumbnails in right pane of Local Group Policy editor. (see attached screenshot)
4.Select Enabled radion button.
5.Click OK to make the change effective.
6.Logoff and logon again or restart computer if needed.
7.To re-enable Taskbar preview feature in Windows 7, just set the value to Disabled or Not Configured.

Btw moving this to windows 7 section.

BraveHeart
23-09-2009, 10:13 PM
tried that mate, it doesnt work :(, says summit about windows vista only.

MetalKettle
24-09-2009, 08:39 AM
Try this...

Click on Start button and type RegEdit in Instant Search text box, then hit Enter.
In the Registry Editor, navigate to the following registry key:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Policies\Explorer
Note: If Explorer registry sub-key does not exist, then right click on Policies and click New -> Key and name it as ?Explorer?.
In the right pane, right click on a blank spacce, and then select New -> DWORD (32-bit) Value.
Type TaskbarNoThumbnail as the name for the new registry value data.
Double click on TaskbarNoThumbnail to modify its value data.
Type 1 and click on OK.

BraveHeart
25-09-2009, 04:03 AM
Try this...

Click on Start button and type RegEdit in Instant Search text box, then hit Enter.
In the Registry Editor, navigate to the following registry key:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Policies\Explorer
Note: If Explorer registry sub-key does not exist, then right click on Policies and click New -> Key and name it as “Explorer”.
In the right pane, right click on a blank spacce, and then select New -> DWORD (32-bit) Value.
Type TaskbarNoThumbnail as the name for the new registry value data.
Double click on TaskbarNoThumbnail to modify its value data.
Type 1 and click on OK.

thanks for that mate, tried it but it doesnt work :( (not for me anyway), i even tried it along with the method sicilian posted too but still didnt work, lol, this is prooving to be a real ball buster this one eh, lol :banghead:

this is just a suggestion but are we sure they are actually called "taskbar thumbnails" ?? they arent actually thumbnails, they are a lot larger and if you open a window like a video clip and then look at it in the taskbar image you can actually see the video playing there too, i will take a screenshot of the things iam on about incase youz are getting something different from me.

BraveHeart
26-09-2009, 05:31 AM
no one worked out yet how to do this ?

Chimaera
26-09-2009, 07:40 AM
Google is your friend m8

Have a look around whilst your waiting for answers

Reddevil
26-09-2009, 04:28 PM
Its connected to the "AERO" theme if you change to a standard theme using Control Panel / personalise / then select basic theme the preview is replaced with just the windows title no image of the window displayed.

BraveHeart
26-09-2009, 09:06 PM
Its connected to the "AERO" theme if you change to a standard theme using Control Panel / personalise / then select basic theme the preview is replaced with just the windows title no image of the window displayed.
yea i know mate, i googled and found that too, hehee, only problem with that though is you lose all the other fancy bits of aero :(, ive been googling too so much my eyes have went square, seems like apart from what you suggested there isnt an actual true fix yet which is disapionting :fryingpan:

Diablo13
26-09-2009, 10:52 PM
I find it quite useful, especially when popups open behind other larger open windows. You can use it to close the popups without closing the window you may be working in.
You could always put a bit of masking tape across the screen about a 1/2 inch up, then you would'nt see the "thumbnails"? :rofl:

The thing that irritates me a bit is when you move several windows around to show all at once, is the damn things either expanding to full screen and covering everything else, or shrinking to the taskbar!
I know you can use it to show 2 split screens etc, but if you want to copy a file or image to several different places or drives at once, the window disappears because you put it too near the top or bottom.

10mg
26-09-2009, 11:01 PM
Can i ask why you dont want it? I mean is it hitting on your pc performance, does it get in the way of some applications you use?

Windows 7 does have some basic themes. Click blank bit of desktop, personlise, choose a basic theme. Turns all the fancy stuff off. You may even be able to customise it to suit your needs.

Still, never bothered me here....find it quite useful myself!

BraveHeart
26-09-2009, 11:45 PM
Can i ask why you dont want it? I mean is it hitting on your pc performance, does it get in the way of some applications you use?

Windows 7 does have some basic themes. Click blank bit of desktop, personlise, choose a basic theme. Turns all the fancy stuff off. You may even be able to customise it to suit your needs.

Still, never bothered me here....find it quite useful myself!

i liked it at first mate, not now, its annoying everytime i drag my cursor around the screen and accidentally pass over the taskbar and all the thumbnails appear, thats why i want shot of it mate.

BraveHeart
09-11-2009, 05:28 AM
Just found this: -
1.Click on Start button and type GPEdit.msc in Instant Search text box, then hit Enter.
2.Navigate to User Configuration -> Administrative Templates -> Start Menu and Taskbar in left pane of Local Group Policy Editor.
3.Locate and double click on Turn off taskbar thumbnails in right pane of Local Group Policy editor. (see attached screenshot)
4.Select Enabled radion button.
5.Click OK to make the change effective.
6.Logoff and logon again or restart computer if needed.
7.To re-enable Taskbar preview feature in Windows 7, just set the value to Disabled or Not Configured.
Btw moving this to windows 7 section.

just to update this...

thanks sicilian, thanks mate, on vista i enabled aero, and that daft issue came back with the little peek view things like i first explained in the thread, and thanks to your post here i was quickly able to turn the option off, works perfect in vista, thanks for the post, saved me having to go and look for a fix elsewhere.

just out of curiosity, is that issue fixed yet on windows 7 ?

Sicilian
09-11-2009, 07:55 AM
Had a google around & tried a few methods that claim to disable the preview, but none worked in Win7 x64.

saffronfox
13-11-2009, 03:22 AM
i find the app quite good tbh the thing that anoyed me was the Quick Launch Toolbar being disabled but have that back now, as for your problem why not try to side dock toolbar wont fix your problem but may help you from passing over them so much or you could auto hide the toolbar?

Sicilian
13-11-2009, 07:49 AM
As soffronfox say's, I find it a really hand feature. For instannce if I've got loads of tab's open in firefox, I can just hover the curser of the firefox icon in the taskbar and pick the tab I want :)

Give it a chance thomson, i'm sure you'll warm to it :)

BraveHeart
17-12-2009, 02:14 AM
ok, i now have windows 7 installed again, and i still hate this feature with the aero view, someone please tell me theres now a fix for it, lol ??

(p.s, same old crap with windows 7 again too, takes ages booting compared to vista, but thats another story)

BraveHeart
18-12-2009, 05:35 AM
ok, i now have windows 7 installed again, and i still hate this feature with the aero view, someone please tell me theres now a fix for it, lol ??
(p.s, same old crap with windows 7 again too, takes ages booting compared to vista, but thats another story)
ive just found summit out, been reading on several websites and they quote "aero peek" as being the option to view the desktop screen by clicking the far right edge of taskbar, so now iam wondering if infact the feature iam on about in this thread is actually called aero peek, according to what ive been reading its not, hmmm, i wonder what the heck the feature is that iam on about them, scratching my head with this ? :dunno:

Chimaera
18-12-2009, 10:56 AM
Dude they are called Taskbar Thumbnails

Here is how you can do this:
1. Log in as an Administrator into your Windows 7 computer.
2. Click the Start Menu and type “gpedit.msc” in the search box. Hit enter to open the Local Group Policy Editor.
3. Navigate to User Configuration –> Administrative Templates –> Start Menu and Taskbar.
4. On the right side pane scroll down to the end of the list to find ‘Turn off taskbar thumbnails’ and double click this entry. In the following Setting window (see image below), select Enabled and click OK.
From now on whenever you hover your mouse over an icon in the Taskbar you will only see text tooltips.

found it here

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. If you run a modified OS this may not work but give it a try