PDA

View Full Version : sky+ box with whining noise, help !

BraveHeart
09-09-2009, 04:11 PM
i have noticed that my sky+ box is making a whining kinda burrring noise, it sounds to me like the hard drive or a fan, thing is though, you can hear it going on and off when the box is sitting in standby mode.

does anyone know if thats normal or what ??

thelostone
09-09-2009, 11:26 PM
Is it a thomson box mate? i ask this because i found this
Thomson have a reputation for being the noisiest of the Sky+ boxes. They also have the poorest design internally for cooling (and hence the noise of the fan) problems - with the fewest ventilation slots in the case of all models as well as the use of a plastic internal "caddy tray" to hold the hard disk thus cutting back on heat dissipation through metal to metal contact.

dx100-uk
09-09-2009, 11:48 PM
if its sometihng that wasnt there before, prob dust in the fan too.
get a can of compressed air from tescos and give the fan a good blast.

also a good thump will knock dust out the fan portal and prob quieten it down again.

in my younger days i worked for hayter mowers, well from 7yrs old act.
owner was fathers best freind.

i went as a favour to fix someones hayter in a really big house out in much hadham one BH monday, cycles about 15mls to get there, i was only 13!

heck of a racket when it eventually started, took out my hyde hammer and whacked the mower, all went quiet.

thats 10 bob i said, 10 bob the old bloke said! here have a oncer!
ive been hitting it w/end ... ah! its knowing where to hit it i said!

dx

BraveHeart
10-09-2009, 12:54 AM
i dunno if its a thomson brand box, i couldnt be arsed pulling it all out to look and see if it says the brand name on the back, its all tucked away nicely in there and i dont want to disturb it, lol.

i got in an argument with the sky guy on the phone trying to tell me its normal, i says no its not, he says yes it is, i says so is it normal for a piece or electrical equipment to overheat, he say yes, lol, i says ballocks to you, i says so its normal for electrical components to get too hot and always need cooling, he says yes, lol, i says listen mate, your talking piss and you know you are, i says no component should be running that hot on standby that it requires a fan to cool it intermitantly when box is on standby, he says it does, i says ballocks again,lol, and i says if its the hard drive thats spinning and making that noise then it is faulty, hes like no no, lol.

In the end i says listen mate, tell me what mainboard is in these box's and tell me the exact component thats causing the box's to overheat and i will go and look it up on the internet and fix the thing myself, he hung up on me, no joke man, lol, i then phoned up again and got another idiot on the line, he says i can see you called a few minutes ago with a question about your pin number, i was like ermmmmmm no i ****in didnt, your man cut me off cause hes not got a brain cell, again i got hung up on.

But the second guy did say before all that if theres a noise like that they will bring out a new box, hmmm.

dx100-uk
10-09-2009, 01:12 AM
well they do run hot, some very hot.
i would suspect as with every app with a fan that its a full of fluff. clean that out and silence will return.

you really ought to consider looking at your PC too. now that going down would be a shame:berley:

pop its case off get a flappy sash brush and a vacuum and clean out the dust esp on the fans processor fins and graphics fan.

it might well be an idea to download and run a prog called speedfan
and if any of the sensors are above 40dec get in there and clean the dust out,

your sky box will be the same

dx

BraveHeart
10-09-2009, 01:16 AM
well they do run hot, some very hot.
i would suspect as with every app with a fan that its a full of fluff. clean that out and silence will return.

you really ought to consider looking at your PC too. now that going down would be a shame:berley:

pop its case off get a flappy sash brush and a vacuum and clean out the dust esp on the fans processor fins and graphics fan.

it might well be an idea to download and run a prog called speedfan
and if any of the sensors are above 40dec get in there and clean the dust out,

your sky box will be the same

dx

lol, eh ?? whats my pc got to do with it, lol, actually i had my pc stripped down and blasted dust out a month or so ago funny enough, but yea i know all that stuff, been there seen it done it million times, but this sky+ box is only like 4 months old and in a very clean house, so them feckers sky can replace it, its paid for anyhow, i was just wanting to rant and rave about it, LOL