PDA

View Full Version : The Big Debate: Nokia or Sagem

vasehedar
15-07-2006, 09:59 PM
I was browsing on Ebay and it seems to me that the Sagem is selling for a lot cheaper the Nokia even though they have the same function.
does this mean its more stable or is it just that nokia is a better brand?
All opinions are welcome!
Also, a connection matter, is it possible to have this connection?:
N*L white box connect to cable modem and box with 2 way splitter, cable modem to router, so that the laptop has wirless internet connection.
Connect the laptop to dbox with ethernet and stream PC content or record to laptop.
The laptop essentially acts as the 'bridge'
any ideas?

scruff1963
15-07-2006, 10:15 PM
connect the dbox to the router with a straight through ethernet cable is much better if the router is close enough.

I like sagems you can work on them but they can have weak tuners, a booster from argos 534-4228 £7.99 sorts that.

Others like nokia but I don't know why, maybe they have money to burn :)

It's your choice and everyone will say something different.

vasehedar
16-07-2006, 08:35 AM
my router and dbox wont be close together

fergalsworld
16-07-2006, 09:09 AM
You need to get a ethernet wireless bridge
have not got a clue which one though.

marc4760
16-07-2006, 09:41 AM
i have my cable modem plugged into my router with my dbox plugged into my router also, and i can watch and stream to and from my wirless laptop no problem using neutrinotv.

gav12345
16-07-2006, 07:14 PM
hey well the best one is a working one

its like saying should i get a ferrari or a lamborgini lol

they both do the same thing as long as you sort out the settings and do as scruff says about a boaster if needed

shongola
16-07-2006, 07:30 PM
i have my cable modem plugged into my router with my dbox plugged into my router also, and i can watch and stream to and from my wirless laptop no problem using neutrinotv.

I do this too. I stream videos I download using VLC which is very handy and my most used feature.

Personally I have a Sagem. Not used a Nokia so can't comment on it. The majority of users are going to be in the same boat.

Yosser
16-07-2006, 07:59 PM
Had a 1x Sagem and it was nought but trouble-would not pick up certain channels that could be picked up by the Nokia. IMO a working nokia tuner is a better tuner than the Sagem and worth the extra money when purchasing a dbox2.

Scotster
17-07-2006, 01:06 PM
Definitely the nokia for me. 2 people in my family have sagems and they aint as stable as my nokia. Since i put com4 on mine its not crashed once wheras no matter what image i put on and what settings i use they still get the odd crash. Don't get me wrong its nothing major, maybe once or twice a week, but it happens.

Also the front of the sagem seems a lot cheaper than the nokia, the flappy bit falls off/breaks and looks cheap and tacky without it.

I currently have a wireless game adapter hooked up to my dbox which connects to my wireless router. My laptop also connects to it wirelessly wheras my desktop is hardwired as its right next to the router.

I don't have any issues with streaming or direct file recording etc but i do have the linksys wrt54g with speedbooster and the game adapter is meant to have speedbooster technology as well. Most of the time i stream from my desktop too so the fact that its hardwired probably helps quite a bit.

Scott =op

jats2k
17-07-2006, 01:37 PM
I have a Nokia, and bought one coz its meant to be more stable than the sagem.
I have had no problems with the nokia, just think i need to update my image, its a year old!!!

Scotster
17-07-2006, 02:56 PM
If its the year old sportster as far as i know that image is still going strong!

Damn good image that one! (1.75)

Scott =op

jats2k
17-07-2006, 03:02 PM
oh mine is 1.73 should i update it??

Scotster
17-07-2006, 04:47 PM
If its working ok then i don't see any reason but the more recent images do have a lot of nice toys.

If you fancy an upgrade remember to back up your image first along with your service file and bouquet file before you start. Its very important lol. Oh yeah also remember, as you have a nokia, to get a 2X image.

If your going for it i recommend commando 4. Its a great image it has ALL the toys and also massive support on here from the members

Scott =op

unforgiven
20-07-2006, 09:59 PM
i have a 1x sagem , had it for well over a year now and not a problem. it can be funny on some images but commando 4 is very stable , i cant compare to a nokia as ive never had one , but the sagem is fine for me.

nj2006
20-07-2006, 10:08 PM
yet to have a bad sagem but have had a dodgy nokia .
with a nokia your always gonna get 2x chip. with a sagem these days its pot luck on ebay.

Millie
21-07-2006, 01:58 PM
I would never buy another Sagem the reason being that by the time you receive them either the front flap or the complete front of the box has come off, even many of the fronts of sagem have been stuck with silicon before despatch. The sagem boxes I have had are very unstable and most of them, freeze quite a lot, no matter what image is used.
The Nokia boxes are very good, never have any trouble with freezing, images or any other problems, have had mine now for around 3 years.

veryfastworld
22-07-2006, 02:35 PM
ive got sagem had no problemas and ive had nokia but been told sagem has weaker tuner than nokia andmore problems mines been working for years

Spickmyster
25-07-2006, 04:28 PM
sagem all the way i had a nokia box and had nothing but problems

bennyben
25-07-2006, 05:02 PM
Ex Sagem user...Freezing all the time...moved onto Replay box.

ray1301
26-07-2006, 02:19 AM
Use both, Find Sagem is slightly better pictue..

But the Nokia is slightly better built...

Couldn't really pick a best one....

keefy7
27-07-2006, 04:29 PM
Nokia 2xi seem more stable downside problematic with display having stripes power built into mainboard
Sagem can be 1xi or 2xi/amd fronts come away power boards overheat not seen any with stripes on display tend to screach and glitch could be a memory issue or just the tuners are weaker
For this reason i would go for nokia and probably why the fetch more on fleabay more demand for them its all down to personal choice:) :wink:

carvegio
27-07-2006, 11:33 PM
I hear it a lot the nokia is better build, but is it worth thr 20/30 quid extra for this extra build quality?

They should do the same thing, but is it worth the difference?

Smig
29-07-2006, 05:39 PM
Nokia Dbox2 X2 version is the best without a doubt..... Just don't bother with a Sagem I have had 2 and there crap! ... Maybe its just the area am in ( Liverpool ) but they seem to receive a weaker signal then the Nokia's.. Sagem Signal = 25000 Nokia signal = 46000. I dont use a signal booster..

adyonline
02-08-2006, 12:13 AM
i got sagem 2x and nokia
sagem gives a better picture,but freeze more than my nokia
i think it is pot luck

trinitys_mate
03-08-2006, 02:09 PM
i have 2 sagem x2 and they work fine.
i think people pay more for the nokia cuz the phones they make are a lot better standard than sagems. dont think it applies to dboxs though.

pt-1
03-08-2006, 03:12 PM
Statesments as the above always amaze me .....

Nokias have sometimes Dodgy Tuners
Nokias have sometimes Stripes in the Display
Nokia Power Supplys are built into the main circuit board
Nokia Power Supplys are delivering stronger currents if a Multicam is needed

Sagems are cheaper built and the Front often comes off in transport
Sagems sometimes suffer more from bad cable signals
Sagems have a seperate Powersupply that is weaker for Multicams
Sagems come in 2 colors

giorgoXXI
16-08-2006, 07:50 PM
My nokia works really well, although the LCD is a problem and you do eventually keep losing lines, plus it does reboot at least once a day...

renwich
16-08-2006, 08:12 PM
No more which is the best box posts I think weve all got the idea now

Hunter
16-08-2006, 08:15 PM
Statesments as the above always amaze me .....

Nokias have sometimes Dodgy Tuners
Nokias have sometimes Stripes in the Display
Nokia Power Supplys are built into the main circuit board
Nokia Power Supplys are delivering stronger currents if a Multicam is needed

Sagems are cheaper built and the Front often comes off in transport
Sagems sometimes suffer more from bad cable signals
Sagems have a seperate Powersupply that is weaker for Multicams
Sagems come in 2 colors

if your nokia power supply goes throw the lot in the bin
if a sagem supply goes throw the power supply and fit a new one.
accidently cut your nokia power cable tough luck use dodgy terminal connectors
accidently cut your sagem power cable, not a problem it's a standard figure 8 plug so fit a new one (borrow the one of your cc box or cable modem)
Nokias can get terrible lines on the LCD
Only ever seen one Sagem with lines on the LCD
Nokia fronts very strong
Sagem front flaps are crap thats why there are so many without them.
Nokia tuners either work or they don't work
Sagem tuners are notoriously weak but an %u00A38 booster (534-4228 argos) soon sorts that out.
You have to make your own choice, my son won't part with his nokia, I won't have a nokia (again).

i belive this has been answered by pt1 and Scruff