anyone know how to get shut of win32/virut virus,ive formatted the
pc 3 times today but avg keeps picking it up,it says its in system vol
on extra drive but i cant see the system vol,also ive scanned with
cwshredder both drives nothing picked up,scanned with smitfraud both
drives nothing picked up,i cant format the other drive cos its got me music on

little_pob
24-08-2009, 09:52 PM
It's infected an exe on the music HDD.

Here is a standalone remover: Download Win32/Virut Remover 1.2.0.453 - A useful tool for cleaning the Virut virus from your PC - Softpedia (To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. As ever run in safe mode after turning off system restore.

Magnu420
24-08-2009, 11:40 PM
ive scan it with that virus scanner and it never picked
it up ???,gonna try avg again

little_pob
25-08-2009, 08:16 AM
Odd, the standalone tool is from AVG.

Disconnect the drive with the music on, does AVG still report the virus? If it does it's time to pull out a disk scrubber. Rather than buying a solution, provided your disk was made after 2001, it should have the Secure Erase facility built in as part of the ATA standard.

For an outline of and links to Secure Erase see: How to REALLY erase a hard drive | Storage Bits | ZDNet.com (http://blogs.zdnet.com/storage/?p=129)

If disconnecting the drive stops the virus being reported, and reconnecting the drive starts the reporting of the virus again then it looks as though you are going to have to move your music to a backup drive (as individual or groups of tracks, moving them as folders increases the risk of copying the virus). Then run Secure Erase on that drive and copy your music back.

dx100-uk
25-08-2009, 09:07 AM
that seems weird....

what about combofix?

or p'haps popping the drive up on the housecall site.
you can scan specfic drives there too.

dx

Magnu420
01-09-2009, 10:20 PM
ive think ive managed to get shut of that virus dont know how cos
rmvirut from avg never found it,only a couple of times that avg found it
specialy when i plugged in me ext drive,flash pen but once avg did a scan
on all the drives,it seems to be all clear

Chimaera
02-09-2009, 09:11 AM
We get this one regularly at work and its a nasty lil sod cos it replicates into any .exe it can find, i have a cd with special tools and i have downloaded most of the known tools for removal, you need them burnt onto cd so it cant jump to the toolz [which happens i had my pen drive infected several times lol]
There are other companys that can remove virut just search for standalones on google