PDA

View Full Version : iPhone 3G internet not working

anonymouse
04-08-2009, 04:14 PM
Recently got an O2 iphone sim which allows free web browsing for 12 months (through 3G and wifi hotspots).

All activated ok, shows 3G symbol in the iphone. But the internet will not connect. 'Safari cannot open the page because it is not connected to the internet'. Wifi works on my home network although I have not tried at any hotspots yet.

I have:

- Changed O2 settings to pay as you go, since I am on payg

- Tried using other internet-based apps, which also do not work

- Tried my sim card in a friend's iphone 3GS, and the sim DOES work on 3G internet

This means it must be my phone, right? So I have done a clean restore to new firmware 3.0.1, and I have NOT jailbroken it yet.

The 3G is still not working. What could possibly be wrong?

Thanks

pipehose
05-08-2009, 05:01 PM
take it back to where you bought it and get them to check it out for you

pande_monium
05-08-2009, 11:42 PM
Ok... think there's 2 things that you've perhaps not done...

Top up by at least ?10
Go to..... Settings > General > Network > Cellular Data Network
In the APN box, change "mobile.o2.co.uk" to "payandgo.o2.co.uk"
Save & exit.
Reboot phone for changes to take effect.That's it. Your phone should now work. If it still doesn't work. Give me a shout.

BTW... Happy Raakhi.

anonymouse
06-08-2009, 03:54 PM
Thanks for both your replies.

Have tried all these things. The problem is definitely not with the SIM, because it works in another iphone.

Took it to the shop on tuesday and they booked me in for a genius bar appointment. So should be either repair or replacement.

One question: this iphone has been jailbroken in the past. I have done a clean restore in DFU, and then restored my backup. Is this enough to remove all traces of the jailbreak?

Jai Shree Krishna

anonymouse
06-08-2009, 04:27 PM
UPDATE: I've just managed to fix it (I think)

Did a restore in itunes but chose to set up as a new iphone rather than restoring backup. Somehow this has solved the problem.

Will give it a while to make sure nothing stupid happens, but its looking good.

Next question: How do I restore specific parts of my iphone backup (ie. contacts) without restoring the entire backup?

Many thanks!

pande_monium
06-08-2009, 10:46 PM
UPDATE: I've just managed to fix it (I think)

Did a restore in itunes but chose to set up as a new iphone rather than restoring backup. Somehow this has solved the problem.

Will give it a while to make sure nothing stupid happens, but its looking good.

Next question: How do I restore specific parts of my iphone backup (ie. contacts) without restoring the entire backup?

Many thanks!

Glad you got it sorted. That was going to be my next suggestion anyway... happy to see you beat me to it. Just curious, did you change the settings as I'd asked you to and rebooted? That should have fixed your phone... unless there was something else wrong.

WRT contacts, just do a restore when connected to your iTunes. It'll get back your settings, contacts and apps. It will not jailbreak your phone again automatically.

In the worst case scenario, restart again and set it up as a new phone. Its very difficult to screw the phone up... so rest easy. And no, nobody will be any wiser regarding your iPhone being jailbroken earlier. Setting the phone up as a new phone reverses this.

BTW - Use the thanks button instead of saying it... that's what its for :).

anonymouse
07-08-2009, 04:39 PM
The problem was a lot deeper than simply incorrect settings or even the fact that it was jailbroken. As I said before, I did try many combinations of O2 settings - including the payandgo APN which is given on their website. And I also tried a full restore, but I made the mistake of restoring the backup.

If I restore from my previous backup, the 3G will stop working again.

I have a strong feeling the backup contains traces from a corrupt baseband or BossPrefs/SBSettings installation. Not sure which.

I managed to retrieve the contacts using Windows Address Book, so that's all good. Have jailbroken it again and its still working, but I'm not going to unlock it.

Many thanks again, I prefer to say thanks because it seems more sincere than clicking a button!

Gazer
11-08-2009, 12:02 AM
I had my 3g replaced as i lost wifi after upgrading to the 3.0 softwear and jailbraking it........but thats one good thing about apple, they just replace your phone for you no questions asked :)

pipehose
26-08-2009, 10:41 PM
I had my 3g replaced as i lost wifi after upgrading to the 3.0 softwear and jailbraking it........but thats one good thing about apple, they just replace your phone for you no questions asked :)
did you have to return phone to standard settings ie remove jail before taking to apple

Gazer
27-08-2009, 12:59 PM
did you have to return phone to standard settings ie remove jail before taking to apple

Yes m8 i did and they sent a brand new one 2 weeks later.