PDA

View Full Version : A decent router??

TexasPete81
27-07-2009, 01:24 PM
Hey guys, could anyone recommend a suitable router.

I'd like to network my pc (wired) with my laptop (wireless), PS3, WII and dbox (not much then, i hear you say!!) so that i can eventually stream vids from my laptop and pc through the ps3 into the tv (neither my laptop or pc have an av out)

I'm running off a standard vermin media 10mb modem. I've had a look round for a half decent router but tbh i'm more confused now than when i started.

As i've mentioned in another post i've currently got a auto MDI/MDIX fast ethernet switch, that i use for linking into my dbox, but that will only either let the ps3 on the net or the pc, not both so my thinking is its not up to the job and needs replacing?

Ideally i dont really want to spend a great deal and i'm only after something that'll do the job, i'm not too fussed about it being all singing, all dancing, walks the dogs when i'm out kinda thing.

Any help is much appreciated

Sicilian
27-07-2009, 01:32 PM
I'd like to ask how much your willing to spend on a router, they start at under 30quid for a 54g, where if you spend say 65quid you'ed prob get a half decent wireless n router which is a lot faster.

TexasPete81
27-07-2009, 01:39 PM
I'd like to ask how much your willing to spend on a router, they start at under 30quid for a 54g, where if you spend say 65quid you'ed prob get a half decent wireless n router which is a lot faster.

The speed would be good, upto around ?60-65 would be about right

Sicilian
27-07-2009, 02:15 PM
This will do what you want Belkin N Wireless Router kit with USB Adapter - Buy cheap Belkin DSL wireless routers at PC World (To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. 5@@@@&BV_EngineID=ccckadehleihmfjcflgceggdhhmdgmj.0&page=Product&fm=13&sm=1&tm=1&sku=103735&category_oid=-28361)

Shop around though, you might find it cheaper by doing a google search.

TexasPete81
28-07-2009, 01:24 PM
Managed to pick up a Belkin F5D8233UK4 Broadband Wireless-N Router for ?35 inc delivery and its worked a treat. I've now managed to network my pc, ps3 and laptop all in together aswell as being able to surf on all 3 at once.

The belkin router just plugged straight in and booted without any issues whatsoever, the only minor issue was setting up the security, which looks quite daunting but actually was really easy.

Thanks for the recommend Sicilian!!!

Sicilian
28-07-2009, 01:55 PM
Managed to pick up a Belkin F5D8233UK4 Broadband Wireless-N Router for ?35 inc delivery and its worked a treat. I've now managed to network my pc, ps3 and laptop all in together aswell as being able to surf on all 3 at once.
The belkin router just plugged straight in and booted without any issues whatsoever, the only minor issue was setting up the security, which looks quite daunting but actually was really easy.
Thanks for the recommend Sicilian!!!

Wow, where did you manage to find it that cheap?

TexasPete81
28-07-2009, 02:13 PM
Wow, where did you manage to find it that cheap?

broadbandbuyer dot co dot uk

its "used" but they're all tested prior to dispatch and the seals on the ethernet cable, cd etc were all unbroken, but at that price i'm not gonna grumble lol

The router itself was only ?29 inc vat, i paid the extra for next day delivery, cos i'm an impatient git lmao

Sicilian
28-07-2009, 02:19 PM
broadbandbuyer dot co dot uk
its "used" but they're all tested prior to dispatch and the seals on the ethernet cable, cd etc were all unbroken, but at that price i'm not gonna grumble lol
The router itself was only ?29 inc vat, i paid the extra for next day delivery, cos i'm an impatient git lmao

Looks like u had a right result, cant find it on there site now. Must have sold out :(

Collider
28-07-2009, 02:19 PM
@ pete heres the newest firmware if you dont have it(at bottom of page)

Belkin : Support : F5D8233 - Firmware Download (http://www.belkin.com/uk/support/article/?lid=enu&pid=F5D8233uk4&aid=10288&scid=282)