PDA

View Full Version : Connecting my ps3 to the internet and pc

TexasPete81
26-07-2009, 08:37 PM
Hey Guys,
I'm currently trying to connect my ps3 to my pc and the internet using Ethernet cables and a fast switching router, however i cant get them to both work together. I either manage to get the ps3 on and lose connectivity to my pc or vice versa. I just cannot get them working in unison. I've been right through the ps3 network settings with the pc also connected and it "times out" when searching for an ip address at the end of the instructions.
Has anyone come across this before and could pass on some much needed advice??
Ultimately i'd like to be able to file share from my pc to my ps3 in order to watch movies etc from my pc harddrive, but for the minute i'd be happy just to get them working in unison

Collider
26-07-2009, 11:58 PM
Way i connnect ps3 in past or xbox360 is modem plugged into wan on router then an ethernet cable from the routers wan to the PC and another ethernet from another lan to the ps3/xbox 360

pictures wireless but you get the idea

TexasPete81
27-07-2009, 11:44 AM
Thats pretty much what i've done but still no joy in getting them working together. I suspect my router might be the weak link, its an old cheapy one i got for use with my dbox.

I'll have a scout round and see if i can pick up a half decent one, and i'll let you know how it goes

Collider
27-07-2009, 02:11 PM
Pretty decent one Currys - Shop for Wireless DSL Routers - Belkin 54G Wireless Cable Router (To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. 1@@@@&BV_EngineID=cccladehleijdkecflgceggdhhmdgmi.0&page=Product&fm=null&sm=null&tm=null&sku=118743&category_oid=)

TexasPete81
28-07-2009, 01:33 PM
Success at last!!

As was suspected my ethernet switch wasn't upto the job so i bought a Belkin F5D8233UK4 Broadband Wireless-N Router (recommended by Sicilian) and fitted it this morning. The ps3 came straight online, once i'd loaded the router sotware into my pc, maintaining both internet connections.

Downloaded a media server called TVersity (very easy to install and use) to my pc and then searched Media Servers on the PS3 and picked it up straight away, allowing me to view all my movies etc from my pc, through the ps3 onto my big screen.

Collider
28-07-2009, 01:54 PM
Just one word of advice is i found ps3 mediaserver alot better than tversity mate for playing streamed files etc

ps3mediaserver - Project Hosting on Google Code (http://code.google.com/p/ps3mediaserver/)

TexasPete81
28-07-2009, 02:15 PM
Just one word of advice is i found ps3 mediaserver alot better than tversity mate for playing streamed files etc

ps3mediaserver - Project Hosting on Google Code (http://code.google.com/p/ps3mediaserver/)

I'll see hows TVersity goes mate and if it does have a few issues i'll let jump across to ps3mediaserver.

Thanks for your help :)