PDA

View Full Version : using a surge protector

thelostone
16-07-2009, 10:23 PM
Because there were not enough power sockets near were the tv had to go (there was only one single socket).I fitted two doubble sockets that are being fed from this single one, now i have to have the sub for my home cinema system behind the tv so i need another socket.I have been told the best thing to do is to use a surge protector ext and plug everything in to that so i only have one plug in the wall.Can you guys please tell me if this would be ok to do it this way thanks

Collider
16-07-2009, 11:36 PM
I have a tower belkin that has a life time 3 grand warranty and never had any probs mate all works fine,tbh i hope it would fail then i get some dollar lol :)

little_pob
17-07-2009, 12:07 AM
Surge protector is definitely the way to go.

Go for the trailing types rather than the 3 way adapters that plug directly into the socket. The extra weight on the plug socket from the 3 way + 3 plugs can partially unplug the adapter, thus creating a fire and electrocution risk.

There are several different types of surge protector. Off the top of my head:

Bog standard: Buy Masterplug 8 Way Surge Protector. at Argos.co.uk - Your Online Shop for . (To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Surge protect inc TV and telephone: Buy Belkin 8 Way Home Cinema Surge Protector. at Argos.co.uk - Your Online Shop for . (To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Individually switched: Buy Individually Switched Surge Protector. at Argos.co.uk - Your Online Shop for . (To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Tower style: 10-Way Surge Socket Tower : Surge Towers : Maplin (To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. off-all off" energy saving panel: Energy Saving IntelliPanel for your Desktop - Tesco.Direct (http://direct.tesco.com/q/R.202-5873.aspx)

(Links for illustration only, as prices could be cheaper elsewhere.)

thelostone
18-07-2009, 05:39 PM
Thank you for your help guys i have got my self one of these
BDC - MICROMARK - 6 Gang Surge Protected Extension Socket - MM22270 (To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. I have switched all of my stuff on and only the first two of the green lights on the protector,light up so i dont think that my tv ect is not drawing to much current any way ,that will do the job:D

Diablo13
18-07-2009, 06:15 PM
I got 1 of the Maplin 10 way surge protected towers, as mentioned in little_pobs post, when they were on offer for about 12 quid. I use all of the sockets and they work well. We had a few power glitches since I've had it and the answerphone which is not surge protected always resets itself, but there was no effect on any of the kit on the tower.
Another handy thing about it , it has an off switch on the base, so you can switch off/isolate all your equipment at once, so nothing is left on standby wasting power.
All in all a product I would recommend, especially when it is at a frequent Maplins offer price.

dx100-uk
18-07-2009, 10:27 PM
just as a bit of otherways to protect stuff,
i'm lucky to be in associated trades shall we say, where back up and mains supply conditioning is imperative

i get redundant UPS's from various sources
even seen them at bootsales, computer fairs & ham fests etc etc
they make excellent mains condtioners & protect against almost everything.

ok you need a couple of 12VDC dry fits batteries 'cause most of em are sulfated thats why they have been disposed of. but if you are cleaver you can get those free too from your local battery disposal place [typically your recycle centre]
there area always lots of good ones there too, because most large firms with emergency lighting change the dry fits every year & they end up at these points.

you can even extend out the terminals where the batteries are supposed to connect to outside the case and fit phsically larger dry fits.
i've got one which feeds my complete radio shack/server room.

got acouple of 1000Ah caravan batteries on that. it can run the whole room for more than 12hrs if the mains goes.
sadly something that happens alot here out inthe wilds of essex.

just a thought

dx

Collider
18-07-2009, 10:35 PM
hahahaha @ dx the wilds of essex,i hear you there lmao