PDA

View Full Version : problems with home theatre kit.

rigga
29-06-2009, 09:46 PM
hello all got my 5.1 cinema kit up and goin but the only problem is that i cant watch tv though it. i can get picture but can only use the tvs own built in speakers, do i need any extra leads ie phono leads to connect it to the home theatre syatem from the audio output on my plasma? oh tv model is lg 5000

thanks

pande_monium
29-06-2009, 11:09 PM
hello all got my 5.1 cinema kit up and goin but the only problem is that i cant watch tv though it. i can get picture but can only use the tvs own built in speakers, do i need any extra leads ie phono leads to connect it to the home theatre syatem from the audio output on my plasma? oh tv model is lg 5000

thanks

Dude, I need a lot more information than this to be able to maximise your hom.
Amp model?
Dvd/HD/BD player/console model?
DVB model (sky/ntl/dreambox/etc)?
Cables used?
Connections utilised (coaxial/toslink/analog/hdmi)?

In short, you should be connecting the following...
Video Source (dvd/bd/hd player) ---> Amp via the Toslink / Coaxial connection
Video Source (dvd/bd/hd player) --->TV via HDMI (if you have it) OR Scart (can advise you better once you let me know all the models)

The above setup will channel your audio through the amplifier and the video through your TV. You may also have to setup your video source to divert your audio via the audio connection you use (toslink/coaxial/analog)

little_pob
30-06-2009, 08:40 AM
It sounds like you're using the built in freeview/freesat tuner to watch the relevent services?

Without knowing the exact model (the LG 5000 is a 'series') it is difficult to advise conclusively, however most of the 5000 series models I looked at on the LG website have an optical output (aka TOSlink) or headphone jack for connecting the TV to your amp. Given the option go for the optical connection, if your TV only has the headphone jack you need a 3.5mm mini-jack to RCA/phono but you are only going to get stereo.

Stereo isn't so much an issue at the moment with freeview as the channels seem to be in 2.0 (4.0 at best). However, you may be disappointed if you have a freesat TV and are reduced to connect via stereo as this, apparently, is broadcast in 5.1 (were the programing allows).

pande_monium
30-06-2009, 10:59 AM
It sounds like you're using the built in freeview/freesat tuner to watch the relevant services?

Cheers LP... didn't think of that one... thought he was trying to 'watch' on the telly with the source being either the sky/ntl box or dvd/hd/bd player. Good point.

If, as LP suggests, you're using the freeview on the TV, then the Source is the TV and the destination is your Amp. What this means is that you'll (again as LP suggested) you'll need to connect the TV to one of the inputs in your Amp (analog/digital) and then select the corresponding source on the Amp. You may also have to set up your TV to direct the audio output either - Both (Analog + Digital) OR Either Analog OR Digital.

Hope this makes sense... if not, give us a shout :).