PDA

View Full Version : UK to ban 'Standby'.

little_pob
13-07-2006, 07:22 PM
The Government are planning to ban standby buttons on all new electrical goods sold in the UK to reduce the amount of electricity households use. This includes TVs, VCRs, DVD players and [probably] computers.

Full story here:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,2-2266159,00.html

Wee Gordon
13-07-2006, 07:24 PM
nice find m8

not really any pont in doing thAT

little_pob
13-07-2006, 07:30 PM
Sorry, should have said its to reduce the amount of electricity used (orginial post edited).

redsquare
13-07-2006, 07:37 PM
People will just leave things on.

But if things turn on quicker from cold we wouldnt need them.

jrh8
20-07-2006, 11:26 PM
since standby was introduced it has been the cause of a great many cases of domestic fires, fire brigade says safest way with electrical goods is to turn them off when not being used , not the fridge of course

mohamm
20-07-2006, 11:31 PM
thanks for telling me

maybe i should start leaving everything on from now on

HELLO, its me that pays the electricity bill, not the government!!

hakz
20-07-2006, 11:40 PM
I think removing the standby option is a good move. It will also make some lazy people get up and push the button on the TV to turn it on and off instead of leaving it on standy.

Hitman
20-07-2006, 11:54 PM
Does a stand by really use that much electricity???

Dont know if its bull or not but i heard that a tv on standby uses about 60% of what it does when its on.

Sounds like a lot for a small LED

mohamm
20-07-2006, 11:57 PM
Does a stand by really use that much electricity???
Dont know if its bull or not but i heard that a tv on standby uses about 60% of what it does when its on.
Sounds like a lot for a small LED

actually you are making sense to me

i wonder how they work it out?

hakz
21-07-2006, 12:07 AM
dunno, but the Infrared is still active in standby mode, ready to turn on the TV fast when you press the standy button on the remote.

Don't forget, even though the power consumption can be small when you leave devices on standby, it all adds up anyway.

mohamm
21-07-2006, 12:09 AM
yeah thats true!

Diablo13
21-07-2006, 03:54 AM
I have just bought inthe last month a 42" L.G. plasma telly. Whether you switch it off on the remote or the set itself, it always goes to standby. You cannot turn this set off fully unless you remove the plug. I would guess if you did that you would lose all your stored channels? I did'nt know this when I bought it from Comet and they certainly did'nt tell me, though I have to say I got it at a very good price. I am aware that standby uses quite alot of electricity and always turned my previous sets off properly if they were to be left for some time, its common sense to me, but now I have no choice.
I wonder if they'll send the boys round to pinch my telly, probably to use in a government staff room because normal rules never apply to them, only to us.
Maybe I'm just an old cynic, lol. v:)

twobeercans
21-07-2006, 07:34 AM
there was a time when standby actually shut down the switchmode power supply and hence electricity consumption dropped by 95% this was achieved by means of having a very small transformer powering the remote curcuit, this in turn operated a relay that powered the switch mode powersupply. transformers cost money so they took them out, this of course mean't that powersupplies had to soft run to power the remote curcuit. 40-60% power consumption.!!! basically a money saving exercise on the part of manufacturers. these startup systems can be, and will likely be modified to enable a battery backup to do the task.
the government are simply trying to force manufacturers to use more energy efficient devices which they easily can at a very small cost - the end user is unlikely to loose there remote on and off features. Indeed this feature was introduced in the first place the save energy manufacturers somehow perverted it into a convenience exercise for the consumer.

twobeercans

Shipoftheline
21-07-2006, 08:19 AM
This is a good idea because things like washing machines can still use as much as 50% of the power they would if they were fully switched on. I'm still not 100% behind the move though because asking for companies to something like this just for the UK will push up price's (we already have the highest prices) and I really dont think this Labour government gives a flying feck for the people. I think those who voted Labour should be ashamed

Hitman
21-07-2006, 08:54 AM
I think all houses will be built using solar roof tiles or maybe even solar bricks.

Would be nice to be self sufficiant!!!

Shipoftheline
21-07-2006, 09:23 AM
I think all houses will be built using solar roof tiles or maybe even solar bricks.
Would be nice to be self sufficiant!!!Would be great in countries that get more sun in this country it would be more viable to use those wind mill things that go on the roofs

dave_c
21-07-2006, 10:54 AM
heres a list of the costs , some mite find it useful

thx to chrome307 for the info

Shipoftheline
21-07-2006, 11:20 AM
heres a list of the costs , some mite find it useful
thx to chrome307 for the info

I'm not so sure about those figures the Washing machine and Printer just don't sound right

skeith
21-07-2006, 12:13 PM
60% is a giant exaggeration. These days its more like 3% or less.

nss1888
21-07-2006, 12:31 PM
skeith.. nope, 60% is about right... You need a whole lot of power to get a TV to turn on via a remote. A high current has to be present in the system at all times to get the high voltage to fire the tube.. this power is dissapated throguh heat etc and thefore your burning power.

TBC (above) is right about the switchmode power supply... check out his post....

Diablo13
21-07-2006, 02:50 PM
A big thank you to 2beercans for explaining how this works and to everyone else for a very informative thread. Unbelievable how much money we waste without thinking about it. My pc is on 24/7 usually so I must be blowing a small fortune in a year.
I am as surprised as Hitman if this government actually does something which I think is a good idea, as most of us can't afford to just burn money.

I wonder if my tv could be upgraded with the backup that 2beercans mentioned to turn it off properly? When it's on a plasma heats my living room anyway.v:)

handos01
21-07-2006, 03:05 PM
No luck for sky tv everytime you phone them they tell you to put the box on standby.

wingco
21-07-2006, 07:44 PM
How would this work for products with timers.

Is it not the case that if the power supply is switched off completely the timer/clock stops working and has to be reset the next time power is applied.

hacker999
21-07-2006, 11:15 PM
How would this work for products with timers.

Is it not the case that if the power supply is switched off completely the timer/clock stops working and has to be reset the next time power is applied.
maybe it will have a built in battery for clocks and stuff. that the user can replace..

twobeercans
22-07-2006, 07:50 AM
when in standby the washing machine doesn't use any power at all of it has a mechanical timer, an electronic timer is powered by a very small transformer which is always running when the machine is plugged in.
many many televisions sat receivers and cable boxes don't even have a soft run, in the case of the crt tv the line drive is simply suspended while the set is in standby. but make no mistake a sm power supply is hugely more efficient than a transfomer so modern devices on whole are more efficient the older ones, but they could be more efficient if they were shut down in standby. the biggest problem for the manufacturer is they have built into many of these power supplies a life service expectation. meaning they are made infact to fail afer a certain time - we accept this because they are now so cheap to replace - problem comes when you have to rethink that senario due to the extra stress of them having to start up every time they are used, this would reduce there life expectancy somewhat lmao.

royston7777
22-07-2006, 09:15 AM
can't see it

ikon
22-07-2006, 11:54 PM
The standby power can be 60%-80%. Most people do not realise this and they use up a lot of power in their houses. Amazing the number of TV etc in bedrooms on standby.

carwash
25-07-2006, 03:57 PM
Great news”!

I always left my plasma on standby”! But as I no longer use it due to power supply problems I have found I use only 22 units per day instead of the usual 39 units saving me about 70 quid per quarter”!

B.T.W: Any one know where I can get a second hand power supply for my Plasma (Sony) has a new one costs £800 to replace

Regards

jacknife
25-07-2006, 07:06 PM
I think those who voted Labour should be ashamed

Lol, you're climbing onto your political hobby-horse again I see. Why not just stick to the point of the thread?

:please:

Shipoftheline
25-07-2006, 07:22 PM
Lol, you're climbing onto your political hobby-horse again I see. Why not just stick to the point of the thread?
:please:

I refer you to the OP

The Government are planning to ban standby buttons on all new electrical goods sold in the UK to reduce the amount of electricity households use. This includes TVs, VCRs, DVD players and [probably] computers.

Full story here:

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. now get of your horse and drink ya milk ;)

twobeercans
25-07-2006, 08:31 PM
Great news???!
I always left my plasma on standby???! But as I no longer use it due to power supply problems I have found I use only 22 units per day instead of the usual 39 units saving me about 70 quid per quarter???!
B.T.W: Any one know where I can get a second hand power supply for my Plasma (Sony) has a new one costs £800 to replace
Regards

is the old one not serviceable then ??