PDA

View Full Version : Best cable modem for ntl

Paul_Robson
13-07-2006, 03:08 PM
Whats the best cable modem for NTL. Is it the motorola 4200e or the 5100. Thx

Crayz
13-07-2006, 05:32 PM
I am assuming you are going to be cloning modems or you would stick with the one you had?
It totally depends on ure budget if u dont wanna spend too much then the SB4100i/e are good for £20 and the SB5100s good for £35 inc postage of flebay . Also the SB4100i/e are more easyer to clone because the firmware can be loaded with its cables it needs to run im not sure on the SB5100 series but im sure some one will post if it cant.

I also saw that you put 4200(e) make sure you know what area you are before you buy because there are 2 types i and e. I is pure and e is ex-cw i know that the e modems can work on pure areas with little modification but not the other way around.

hoped i helped a little.

Paul_Robson
13-07-2006, 06:05 PM
That helped alot, thankyou. Just unsure about this stuff, im sooo new. Any more advise, please feel free to give it, thx. Paul.

bladesftp
13-07-2006, 06:14 PM
i would personnally go for the 4200 m8 as the 5100 is not very reliabe from what ive heard i think the 4200 can be cloned the same way as the 4100 but dont quote me on that because i have mever done a 4200 before

Crayz
13-07-2006, 06:22 PM
From reading Haynes Cable Modem Guide, it says that the 4200 and 4100 cloned in the same way, it all depends on what you get your hands on Paul. there is a good guide written by J00 the post below this which will explain how to do it if you are unsure its a very well written guide.

Paul_Robson
14-07-2006, 11:18 AM
Thankyou so much guys. I really do appreciate it more than you know. Ive been trying to figure this stuff out, but seeing as no one wants to talk about it, its so hard to find facts out. I have seen some 4200e's on the net for sale.They are £40 , and thats with software. If i get one can i call upon your knowledge or first hand experince to teach me anything.I am so excited, and i want to learn. I love new technology and stuff like this. I got into pc building and now i am building gaming rigs for pro players and lan meetings. I am sorta frustrated that i cant figure out which modem to get and which files to get and cloning and mac's and oohhhhh, the list goes on. I aint a stupid person but boy! this subject is so vast and deep, i fear i shall never get it. Thanks for reading this long drawn out post.Thx :)

Diablo13
14-07-2006, 05:21 PM
I know I am being a bit thick here but can someone please explain what cloning a modem is and what it involves? I would guess that you can clone your existing modem to another 1 you got to upgrade without having to get NTL etc, to accept your new modem and get it online?
I have a Surfboard SB3100, but when I got it NTL did not want to let me register it as they provide their own modems. As this is quite old could I get a newer (better?) modem and clone the existing mac IP on to it? Would there be any advantages to doing this and could it be done by a reasonably sensible muppet like me?
All help greatly appreciated, (but still no cheques in the post). v:)

Paul_Robson
14-07-2006, 05:35 PM
Im not the only muppet here :)

Crayz
14-07-2006, 06:00 PM
Well first Paul here on the forum there is many people willing to help with your problem :) and the guide written by j00 should work for the 4200e also, and with the software already loaded onto it, it gells a hell of alot easier to do.
And to Diablo13 basicly cloning a modem is taking a exisiting mac address weather it being your current one from your modem or someone elses by means of scanning for mac addresses and someone sending you them. So basically taking a mac addres and putting it onto your modem as well as a config file which determines your speed weather it be 1mb 4mb or 10 :D lol and your all cloned up :). And to answer your question yes you can clone your own modem onto a newer one for what ever reasons without the hassel of your provider.
There isnt any real advantages unles you change the config file to obtain 10mb then it seems like a pretty nifty advantage to me ;) but if you alredi have the highest service then there is no advantage at all in my opinion.
It is totally dependent on the modem to its difficulty some modems require you to open it up and load software onto it with a blackcat cable others can be done with just the ethernet cable so it depends on what modem you buy matey.

Hope i helped both of you.

Diablo13
14-07-2006, 06:13 PM
Im not the only muppet here :)
Welcome to the muppet show: v:) :9:

Diablo13
14-07-2006, 06:36 PM
Hope i helped both of you.[/QUOTE]
Yes you have helped me and now I know the details i will look for a newer modem. surfboards are supposed to be very good and I have certainly had no problem with mine so I would probably look for another Surboard , now that I know I will be able to use it. I am currently on a 4mb connection so I have 2 more questions if you don't mind? If I clone a modem to get the 10mb speed should I use My existing mac id to do it, or will that be too easily traceable?
Is there a Surfboard you would recommend for ease of cloning to the higher speed?
Thanks again for your help.v:)

vasehedar
14-07-2006, 08:40 PM
Hi,

Just wanna say>>>>> Surfboards 4100 or 4200 are the best, 3100 are ok-ish and harder to get and i think the 5100 need sigma something or the other. never used a 5100. But if u had to choose 1 go fro 4100.

As im sure you are aware the N*L modems are kinda screwed up and in most cases need soldering... so 1st time buyer beware: dont buy n*L modem unless u wanna do soldering.

Paul_Robson
15-07-2006, 10:28 AM
Thankyou so much Crayz, you have made things a little clearer. Can i be a pain and ask a silly silly question. i have decided to get a motorola 4200e, do i need to open this up and solder or alter something or can i just change it using an ethernet cable. I have been told that the 4200e is the best one for easyness :) And my next question is, where does one aquire mac address or config files. How do i know what the settings are in the modem to enable me to get an 8 meg line from the 1 meg that im getting from NTHell.Sorry for the annoying newbie questions, but if i dont ask, i wont learn.
And to diablo13, can i be kermit :)

Crayz
15-07-2006, 11:12 AM
Well at Diablo i would use another mac address m8 kinda in your area but same region stick a post in the mac addy trading section see if you can get any. The ones for easyness which everyone is talking about are the Surfboard 4100 and 4200s.
@Paul, nope no opening or soldering involved with that particular modem its all over the cables. You aquire mac addresses by sniffing using cmsniff (always worked well for me but there are others avaliable) which is on this forum under the modem files so youl have to pm a mod to get the password if you dont already have it. Download that sniff for macs and trade them in the mac trading area im not sure how many miles you can be apart or close too but ino it has to be in another gateway. And config files you get them off n*l ot tw ^^ if you go to this post http://world-of-digital.com/forums/post7308.html
And download then read part 7 it goes into great detail on all you need to know about the 4200 modems and how to obtain what you require with a step by step guide which screen shots you cant go wrong.

Paul_Robson
15-07-2006, 11:26 AM
Wow, thanms so much. Im still very very new at this stuff and lost. But im learning little by extreme little. Thankyou so much , Paul.

Paul_Robson
15-07-2006, 11:29 AM
Cant find or get cmsniff anywhere.

Crayz
15-07-2006, 11:31 AM
Its under modem files in cable download section it wil ask for password to enter you gota pm a mod for it or admin.

Paul_Robson
15-07-2006, 11:35 AM
Ok thx, i will pm a mod.Thx for the info too :) Im reading so much my brain will explode soon,lol.

Crayz
15-07-2006, 11:39 AM
Np check your pms mate. I was just reading reading reading and it gets pretty simple after reading that guide by far the best ive read so credits to the maker and uploader. let us know how you get on with it :)

Diablo13
15-07-2006, 01:09 PM
A big THANK YOU to crayz for all the helpful advice and pointers, I will check it all out later when I have more time.
Paul no objections to your being Kermit, I think I'll be Gonzo, I may need that nose to sniff out the mac addresses. :fight: v:)

Crayz
15-07-2006, 02:48 PM
no problem guys use thanks button :). People here helped me sort my dbox so it would be silly if i couldnt share the little knowledge i had to attempt to help you. Just post back wen its all working so we all know how you got on :)

Crayz
15-07-2006, 07:57 PM
What modem are you looking for a tutorial and what do you want the tutorial to do? a little more detail please.

Paul_Robson
15-07-2006, 08:14 PM
Sniff me a mac too dude, and i wont set miss piggy on you :)

Paul_Robson
15-07-2006, 08:17 PM
I am going to buy a 4200e off the net.The guy says the firmware has been changed and that it just needs a mac address. What prog should i use to find a mac address. Or should i just clone my own mac, even though i dont know how to clone :) thx guys.

Crayz
15-07-2006, 09:46 PM
The guides are how to clone you are cloning other people modems by using their mac addresses on your modem. Cloning your modem is just putting in your current mac address into your new modem. I cant snif you a mac because you are too far away from me you wouldnt be able to get online useing one. To find macs you use cmsniff to snif for mac addresses but they wont work because your on the same gateway so youl have to trade some1 in your area i dont know how many miles is the range but im sure someone might? so if they could post would be handy.

Paul_Robson
15-07-2006, 09:52 PM
Cool, ok thankyou. I am slowly getting this. :) Thanks for advise.

Paul_Robson
17-10-2006, 09:57 AM
Nice 1, thx

Jimbags
18-10-2006, 11:58 PM
gotta be the sb5100 black catted.

pain in the arse to set up tho

Just get a 4200 or 4100, much simpler

arzoo
23-10-2006, 08:01 AM
pain in the arse to set up tho
Just get a 4200 or 4100, much simpler

You could always buy a pre-modded sb5100, even simpler!

PM for help.