PDA

View Full Version : broadband issue

andy1494
17-05-2009, 11:43 AM
hi there i have had an issue the last two days, what it is i being able to download at 20mg no problems the last two days i being lucky if i have got between 1mg or 3mg contacted twpest they said there no issue nut the problem is still there any help plz

dx100-uk
17-05-2009, 05:39 PM
repower the cm

dx

andy1494
18-05-2009, 06:35 AM
repower the what m8 cm?

DessertDog
18-05-2009, 06:55 AM
Cable Modem ?

andy1494
18-05-2009, 09:47 AM
hi there sorry but i have tried that quiet a few times now all i am getting is the same download a week ago i was getting nearly 20g download with no issue

Sicilian
18-05-2009, 01:18 PM
Ok, firstly i'm assuming you have a subbed 20meg connection with virmin?

Secondly, we need more details, are you downloading through newsgroups, torrents?? Or other P2P software?

andy1494
18-05-2009, 02:36 PM
Ok, firstly i'm assuming you have a subbed 20meg connection with virmin?
Secondly, we need more details, are you downloading through newsgroups, torrents?? Or other P2P software?

i have a 10g connection with virgin and i only dl through newsgroups well i did until saturday when i just gone crawling pass

Sicilian
18-05-2009, 02:56 PM
Ok right, you have a 10mb subbed & a 20mb clone then :)

Newsgroups can slow down depending on server load. Try again at off peak times or your speed could be being throttled by virmin if you've exceeded the download limit.

Another thing to check, is make sure you open the relevant ports on your router & any software firewall installed for the port of your newsgroup server.

andy1494
18-05-2009, 03:38 PM
yes i have always giganews with never any problems, now i am lost where you say about my router and firewall how do i checked this my router which i have always used is a dlink and my antivirus which i have always used is avast so think the firewall on that if i am wrong please let me no thanks

Sicilian
18-05-2009, 03:41 PM
Go to your router settings & look for port forwarding.

Check the ip of your pc, then forward the server port to the ip of your pc in the router port forwarding settings.

Avast is just a anti virus, so no need to change anything there, although I've found some anti virus's to slow download speeds.

andy1494
18-05-2009, 03:50 PM
hi sicilian how do i find my ip then am in the settings now

Sicilian
18-05-2009, 03:59 PM
hi sicilian how do i find my ip then am in the settings now

Goto start > run > type cmd, then in the DOS box type ipconfig and press enter :wink:

Letmein
10-12-2009, 03:04 PM
Hi guys, I hope this post is in the right area, but hey here goes. I have a 10 meg broadband connectionand and am considering updrading to a 20 meg or higher. I watch a lot of streaming video, sport etc. With the 10 meg connection the pictures can be a little grainee and sometimes buffer far to long. Question is if I upgrade to the higher spec will my online video viewing be better??????

Diablo13
10-12-2009, 03:42 PM
On the higher speed connection your download speed would be much higher, therefore you should not need to be buffering at all.
The buffering is dependent on the load put on the site at the time though, so if there is a high demand for what you are streaming, then it can slow down and buffer from their end.
I have a 20 meg connection and if I watch BBC Iplayer for example, there is USUALLY no problem. If I watch a clip on IMDB or UTube then I can still get a bit of buffering.
I don't think it will make a difference to your picture being grainy though, that has more to do with the source you are receiving from and the capabilities of your graphics card?
Someone who knows better may correct me if I am wrong here?
I hope this helps and answers your question Letmein?

Albertz
01-04-2010, 11:19 PM
I am having the same problems.

I have 20mb subbed and use newsgroups, for years i have been downloading at 2400kbs now i am getting about 1600kbs most of the time.

Is this just an overload of people at this time or could there be an issue?

dx100-uk
02-04-2010, 12:48 AM
it will always 'change' in chunks
you have just been lucky the loading on your UBR has prob remain pretty static
now the 'users' have gone up & its probably been resegmented.

it will 'change' again soon.

infact it will change drMATICALLY IN THE NOT TOO DISTANT FUTURE [opps caps]
as IPTV get its structure inplace, the speed should rocket.

over xmas i spent most of my time stuck in wick with a couple of freinds, one of which is a longterm VM eng

there are some impressive plans for network speed inplace like +200Mbps
dx