PDA

View Full Version : Heres one for you wireless buffs...

BraveHeart
10-05-2009, 01:25 AM
Came across a strange situation here and cant figure this out, i would love to know the technical details of how and why this happens if anyone knows.

Ok, the internet service provider is sky (adsl).

Me and another mate have noticed that when using the sky routers, both the sagem and netgear, the broadband speed is actually better using the wireless setup rather than the hard-wired ethernet cable setup.

I had mines hard-wired till the other day as i know that nomatter what, the hardwire option is the most stable connection out of the two, but thats not in question here, its the speeds.

My mate was saying to me that his wireless speeds were actually faster than with ethernet cable, so i says that cant be right and i argued the point for ages, but the next day i also trys the wireless option and guess what, the speeds are far better than with the ethernet, i found this really unbelievable, so much so that i asked sky tech support about it and they didnt know the answer, fookin idiots as usual, lol :fryingpan:.

So i thought, ok, lets try my rubbish old laptop computer and connect wirelessly to that and check, and i was stunned to actaully see that the old lappy was actually even faster again, lol, unbeleivable eh ?

The connection i use to recieve the wireless signal on my main pc (top of range system) is just one of those wireless usb dongles, and on the lappy it of course has the usual built in wireless adaptor.

The only thing i found that was sometimes a little worse when wireless was my ping time, but when ya move the usb dongle about just a wee bit using a tiny usb extension cable then i can get the ping to exact same as the ethernet ping time, hmmmm, looks like wireless is the better of the two, i never used to like wireless much, but iam liking it, hehhee:))

So apart from those points and the question at the start there, iam thinking now about buying a wireless card for my pc rather than this usb dongle to see if i can get the speed a little bit more, but because ive never purchased a wireless card before iam unsure of what is best to get, i dont mean best as in most expenive, i just mean the best of the reasonable priced ones, does anyone know ???

:trustme:

dx100-uk
10-05-2009, 02:15 AM
well one thing i would do it to check your ethernet connection IS set to 100mbps

dx

BraveHeart
10-05-2009, 02:20 AM
well one thing i would do it to check your ethernet connection IS set to 100mbps
dx
where do i check that mate ?? ive never needed to check settings like that before when i used virgin cable etc etc, infact ive never had to check anything like that, its a gigabit onboard ethernet adaptor, but good shout mate, where would i check ??

dx100-uk
10-05-2009, 02:40 AM
Speed Up Vista | Network Tweak (To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. dx

BraveHeart
10-05-2009, 04:41 AM
Speed Up Vista | Network Tweak (To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. dx
Done that, made sure it was set to 100, and still the same, wireless beats it a bit, and actaully as i says before quite a bit on my lappy.