PDA

View Full Version : Slow d-load speed - router settings?

digitalman
26-04-2009, 10:03 PM
Hi,

Firstly did a speed test and got the following readings:

Download speed : 2.27Mbps
Upload speed : 0.35Mbps

My brother called me around earlier today as his d-load speed on bittorrent dropped down to approx 10kB/s from an average of 70-80kB/s.

I cant figure out what is going on - he is subbed to virgin broadband 2meg through telephone line.

Im pretty sure his daughter reset the router settings as when I accessed it his Virgin Connection was not set-up.

I have to the best of my ability set up everything (I set it up originally about 2 years ago, and cant remeber what i did then)
he is operating a Dynamode R-ADSL-C4W-G router.

We can now connect to the internet and d-load using Torrent but at no higher that 10kB/s (port forwarding is setup), we can connect to Xbox Live but after about a minute it disconnects.

There must be some settings I am missing/not entered - I cannot think what though.

Gonna go there after work tomorrow and have a play around again.

Any suggestions?

dx100-uk
27-04-2009, 01:27 AM
Hi,

Firstly did a speed test and got the following readings:

Download speed : 2.27Mbps
Upload speed : 0.35Mbps

My brother called me around earlier today as his d-load speed on bittorrent dropped down to approx 10kB/s from an average of 70-80kB/s.

I cant figure out what is going on - he is subbed to virgin broadband 2meg through telephone line.

Im pretty sure his daughter reset the router settings as when I accessed it his Virgin Connection was not set-up.

I have to the best of my ability set up everything (I set it up originally about 2 years ago, and cant remeber what i did then)
he is operating a Dynamode R-ADSL-C4W-G router.

We can now connect to the internet and d-load using Torrent but at no higher that 10kB/s (port forwarding is setup), we can connect to Xbox Live but after about a minute it disconnects.

There must be some settings I am missing/not entered - I cannot think what though.

Gonna go there after work tomorrow and have a play around again.

Any suggestions?

sure he is not been traffic manged by downloading too much this month?

i'd rfeset everything if not

reset wireless router to factory defaults - turn it off.
repower adsl modem - let it settle.
repower router - let it settle

repower pc.

dx

smif
27-04-2009, 02:04 PM
Some routers work better with bittorrent if you disable
UPnP on the router and the client.
For xbox live you may need to open these ports,
TCP 80,3074,53.
UDP 88,3074,53.

digitalman
28-04-2009, 08:57 PM
Did as you said DX and no joy both on BitTorent front and also on Xbox front.

So I emailed virgin, they sent me a standard email saying there are various reasons my speed could be slow from the weather to swine flu!

Tried Xbox that is now working without any problems and i havent done anything to it today - but d-loading on BitTorent is still slow.

Do they tell you if they have "invoked traffic management" on his internet service, bearing in mind that xbox is working fine but torrent isnt?

smif
29-04-2009, 01:34 PM
Does your torrent machine have a static ip or
is it dhcp?

digitalman
30-04-2009, 06:58 PM
IT is setup with a static IP address. I've enabled port forwarding. My connection is a 2mb link. I performed some download speed tests and get 1500 kb download speed outside off bittorent.

smif
01-05-2009, 08:28 PM
If your torrents are slow day and night then you could
try a different port or range if you havent already.
Slow torrents after 4pm will be vm throttling torrent
traffic as dx mentioned.