PDA

View Full Version : Blu-ray with AVCHD usb pen drive?

NumptyX
15-04-2009, 06:49 PM
hello guys, im looking for a blu-ray player that will play AVCHD from a usb pen drive and from a dvd5/9 could anybody recomend one?
TIA
NumptyX

Looking to spend around ?250

little_pob
15-04-2009, 07:53 PM
A quick google says the PS3 with firmware 1.6 or higher can do what you want.

The 40GB model is currently ?219 @ Argos: Buy Playstation 3 with 40Gb Hard Drive. at Argos.co.uk - Your Online Shop for . (To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. 2FProduct%2FpartNumber%2F5686917%2FTrail%2FC%24cip %3D29414.Video%2Bgames.htm&jspStoreDir=argos&referrer=COJUN&cmpid=COJUN)

Oh, and it's a console too ;)

NumptyX
15-04-2009, 08:15 PM
A quick google says the PS3 with firmware 1.6 or higher can do what you want.
The 40GB model is currently ?219 @ Argos: Buy Playstation 3 with 40Gb Hard Drive. at Argos.co.uk - Your Online Shop for . (To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. 2FProduct%2FpartNumber%2F5686917%2FTrail%2FC%24cip %3D29414.Video%2Bgames.htm&jspStoreDir=argos&referrer=COJUN&cmpid=COJUN)
Oh, and it's a console too ;)
Hello little pob thanks for the quick reply, i have a ps3 60gb model i have that in my game room with my xbox 360
i was looking for a standalone for the living room on my big hd telly :D

I am looking at a Samsung BD-P2500 it BD Live 2.0 Ready and play's AVCHD from disc's but not sure it reads from a usb pen drive :S

Collider
15-04-2009, 08:22 PM
Hello little pob thanks for the quick reply, i have a ps3 60gb model i have that in my game room with my xbox 360
i was looking for a standalone for the living room on my big hd telly :D

I am looking at a Samsung BD-P2500 it BD Live 2.0 Ready and play's AVCHD from disc's but not sure it reads from a usb pen drive :S

why not buy another ps3 as it would be about the same price and did someone mention it was a console ;)

+ the firmwares always updated so it will always be in front of any bluray standalone player

little_pob
15-04-2009, 08:23 PM
The USB on the samsung player is apparently for firmware updates and BD live downloads only.

I've just had a very quick search on AVF and AVCHD via USB is a 'would like to see' feature mentioned by a members - if they don't know of a standalone that does it there isn't likely to be one.

You could always go down the HTPC route, in which case I can try to spec you something out within your budget.

NumptyX
16-04-2009, 03:08 AM
The USB on the samsung player is apparently for firmware updates and BD live downloads only.

I've just had a very quick search on AVF and AVCHD via USB is a 'would like to see' feature mentioned by a members - if they don't know of a standalone that does it there isn't likely to be one.

You could always go down the HTPC route, in which case I can try to spec you something out within your budget.

I have got a HTPC but its a old p4 3.2ghz with a old agp socket with only 1 gig ram & the case is huge as its my old desktop pc lol
so id have to pretty much build it from scratch again and i was wanting something slimline like most blu-ray players

Thanks

NumptyX

little_pob
17-04-2009, 10:50 AM
Yes, HTPC cases aren't cheap, esp low profile ones.

If your TV has multiple HDMI ports, how about a ?150 blu-ray player (like the samsung BD-P1500) with one of these: To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. The BD player should provide AVCHD playback from DVD 5/9 provided you structure the disc correctly.

The WD TV HD media player then provides the USB playback as it lists support for H.264, which is an alternative name for AVCHD (although apparently you might need to rename .mts files to .m2t). You also end up with .mkv and .avi playback as a bonus.