PDA

View Full Version : Anyone get game lockups?

maoo
13-04-2009, 03:05 AM
I been having these a few times recently, mostly happens when the game has been running for a few hours, then sometimes when the disk spins up to read, the game ends up freezing, you can see the screen as it was the second before disk spinned up, also the music continues as it was before (background tune just looping etc). Have to switch off from mains to restore.

Very annoying on red alert 3, was playing for like 30 mins, then as soon as I done the objective and the cutscene thinggy was loading, bam lol. Was not so bad in fallout 3 when it happened to me a lot (I played that a lot lol), since that had autosaves from the last doorway I went through hehe. With any other games it happens rarely, since I tend to play them for a hour or so then turn the ps off.

I am guessing this has something to do with either heat, the hdd or maybe both? (heat affecting the hdd etc?). If it is heat related, I hope the ps dies while under warranty lol, no way I will fork out for another 80gig one :S.

Collider
13-04-2009, 03:23 PM
Fallout 3 was prone for it with all gamers it was the game not the ps3 and i had glitching with UT3 but that was down to mods i had installed on it,all i did ws uninstall them and reinstall one by one to see what one it was ;)

maoo
14-04-2009, 06:35 PM
Fallout 3 was prone for it with all gamers it was the game not the ps3 and i had glitching with UT3 but that was down to mods i had installed on it,all i did ws uninstall them and reinstall one by one to see what one it was ;)

Yeah I know fallout3 was glitchy lol, there was one area of the map I could not even enter without it causing the game to lockup, no matter which way I tried to go into it from, lucky for me it was some power station I did not need to goto ever lol. I read it had to do with visiting some area on the map befoire a certain mission was passed? Caused to save game to glitch or summit, only way to fix was go to previous save or restart, like heck I was gonna lose hours of play for one crappy area of the map lol.

But the issue I am on about seems to be hardware related, playing mirrors edge today, and as soon as disk spins up, again bam, guessing I will fire of an e-mail to Sony and see if they know what could be causing it. If no luck will just goto Game and exchange the thing, least I will get rid it before it dies one day outside warranty lol.

Collider
14-04-2009, 07:53 PM
Apparently Sony are running an exchange program for faulty PSP and PS3s. Even if it's out of warranty [Edit: May not work if they ask and you remember buying it more than a year ago....], as long as the warranty sticker is intact (you haven't opened the case to fiddle with the insides) and you've got the battery and charger then they'll send out a refurbished one via parcelforce and pick up your dud one to take back. This is all free of charge (less the phone call). It's said this even covers broken screens.

what i just googled :)

+ if they dont this is worth getting and leave it a week and then claim ;)

PLAYSTATION 3 News Articles: - Protect Your PlayStation (http://uk.playstation.com/ps3/news/articles/detail/item68849/Protect-Your-PlayStation/)