PDA

View Full Version : sky + box, does it need two feeds ??

BraveHeart
05-04-2009, 08:13 PM
sky have says they are giving me a sky+ box for free, but i dont have two lnb's on my sattelite dish, does the +box need the dish to have two lnb's or does it just require a splitter to split one feed into two ??

To be honest i would be happy with just being able to record one channel, iam not interested in recording one and watching one, and if i wanted to do that i can simply record a sky channel and watch channel 1 to 5 from my terrestrial tv aerial, so ive still got the ability to record sky and watch a tv channel anyway albeit not both sky channels.

any advice on this would be appreciated.

p.s
to use the sky+ box, does it have to be connected to a fone socket ?

dx100-uk
05-04-2009, 09:44 PM
you need a dual lnb & bt phone line

dx

BraveHeart
05-04-2009, 10:19 PM
you need a dual lnb & bt phone line
dx
so that +box wont work with just a single feed then like i previoisly described ?? thats a bummer man, i will have to call them up and cancel it if thats the case :(

ohh, and it needs a phone socket too ?? whats that for ?? i dont ever purchase any movies or nuffin like that, never have, never will, plus the sky tech guys says that having it hooked to your phonline and you have adsl it can sometimes interfier with the internet connection, so i wanted to avoid that like the plague :(

BraveHeart
06-04-2009, 03:06 AM
ok, just to confirm this before i make an ass of myself and cancel my order for free sky+ box.

why does the box need connected to a foneline ??

ive had the standard free box you get for a couple of months now and they havent even mentioned the phoneline, and its never been connected to the phoneline either, and when i spoke to them today and they says ok you can have a free sky+ box, they didnt then even mention a phoneline.

The only thing they seemed a bit concerned about was the fact that the dish is a communal dish serving 3 houses and its only got 1 lnb feed, but when i explained that i dont need to be able to record one channel and watch another on the sky box, and that i would just use it like a normal video recorder, they says ok in that case we can send the engineer out with it, but they says he may or may not fit it due to the circumstances.

so iam stuck, i dont quite understand why i need any sky box plugged into a phone socket when i would never purchase a movie or use interactive or anything like that, and iam not sure about the 2 lnb's supposidly needed even for using as a normal one tuner recorder.

can i have this all clarified please before i put my foot in it and tell them to shove thier box where the sun dont shine, lol.

p.s
just had a look up at the dish and its defo only got one Lnb, but ive looked behind the tv at the wall socket where the sky tv box cable feed plugs in and there is another exact same socket next to the one its screwed onto, and theres also a phone socket right next to them two sky sockets too, but its not the socket that the house phone is plugged into, thats about 1ft away from all that, this is a brand spanking new house, so i dont know what is wired up and whats not.

Sicilian
06-04-2009, 09:37 AM
Regards the sky sockets, why dont you try feeds to your current sly box, that way you will see if they are both live. Sky+ needs to feeds to work correctly as some channels could be on different transponers to what being viewed. With regards to the phone line why dont you plug a phone in & see what live or not.

krazylegz
06-04-2009, 04:44 PM
a sky+ box WILL work with only 1 feed mate as long as its in input 1 on the box, but you will only be able to record what you are watching.

BraveHeart
06-04-2009, 10:38 PM
a sky+ box WILL work with only 1 feed mate as long as its in input 1 on the box, but you will only be able to record what you are watching.
ahhh, good stuff, thats what i wanted to know :)

as for the phone socket, ive just had it confirmed tonight from sky that the fone socket is not needed at all if you dont plan in viewing your bill on the tv etc (interactive) and/or if you dont want to purchase on demand movies and stuff and/or you dont have sky multiroom, so now we know the correct answer to that too

RoYaL KiD
07-04-2009, 12:36 AM
1. The phone line is not required with any sky package unless you have sky multiroom..this stops the two receivers being used in seperate addresses..
2. Your sky+ box will work with only one lnb input but you will only be able to record a channel which is on the same polarity, band, transponder, symbol rate etc as the channel which you are already viewing so sky+ is useless without the second lnb input..
However you could ask the engineer to try with the second output on the wall and see if he will try for you.

BraveHeart
07-04-2009, 02:20 AM
1. The phone line is not required with any sky package unless you have sky multiroom..this stops the two receivers being used in seperate addresses..
2. Your sky+ box will work with only one lnb input but you will only be able to record a channel which is on the same polarity, band, transponder, symbol rate etc as the channel which you are already viewing so sky+ is useless without the second lnb input..
However you could ask the engineer to try with the second output on the wall and see if he will try for you.
yes but if iam just using it to record a channel from sky when iam out the house or asleep etc then surley that works ok ?? even with just one feed from one lnb on the dish, thats all i want to know as thats all i will do with it anyway.

RoYaL KiD
07-04-2009, 11:20 AM
yes but if iam just using it to record a channel from sky when iam out the house or asleep etc then surley that works ok ?? even with just one feed from one lnb on the dish, thats all i want to know as thats all i will do with it anyway.
Yep, it will be fine for that purpose..

krazylegz
07-04-2009, 09:15 PM
you will either need to leave it on the channel that you are gunna record off or put it in standby otherwise it will fail. if you have it on say bbc1 and it is set to record from sky sports it wont record because it thinks you are watching that and the second tuner is innactive....if you get my drift lol

BraveHeart
09-04-2009, 11:12 PM
just to update, i have now got the sky+ box installed by the sky guy, there must have been two feeds from one lnb coming in as its working, and i dont have the box hooked to the phone line either.

maoo
10-04-2009, 11:54 PM
just to update, i have now got the sky+ box installed by the sky guy, there must have been two feeds from one lnb coming in as its working, and i dont have the box hooked to the phone line either.

I am guessing your in a flat, possibly a modern development? Most modern developments I ever been to when I worked for Sky, had each room wired for 2 inputs, even if there was only one on the wall socket. You could ask the building owners to put you in the second feed for a small fee (but in your case it was already there).

Mostly they just used massive splitters lol, had the H band on one and the V band on one, then split it how ever many times they needed for how ever many rooms, since the signals were good off the massive communal dishes, no need to worry about signal getting too weak from splitting so many times.

But one drawback is, if they ever do any work requiring scaffolding on your roof, you will be missing a ****e load of channels if the scaffolding obsures the dish. I was called back to one guy 3 times in a month, turns out it was the above situation, he was told every time by Sky this was the case, just he was an impatient sod lol.