PDA

View Full Version : Tiscali hits back over filesharing

Shipoftheline
12-07-2006, 10:46 AM
I found this rather shocking which is why I'm posting in news.

Tiscali has refuted claims from the British Phonographic Industry that it is "turning a blind eye" to illegal music filesharing, instead accusing the music body of using "press tactics" without providing sufficient legal backing for the allegations.
The BPI yesterday called on Tiscali and fellow internet service provider Cable & Wireless to suspend 59 UK web accounts to stamp out "industrial scale" illegal music filesharing.

However, Neal McCleave, the managing director of media and customer operations at Tiscali, said he was "disturbed by the BPI's tactics in immediately going to the press".

"Of the 17 users they [the BPI] allege illegally downloaded music, they have only provided evidence about one customer," he said.

The evidence provided was use of the filesharing website Kazaa. Mr McCleave said he was awaiting evidence on the other 16 accused customers.

"We are suspending that customer and writing to ask them about defending themselves," he added.

"The BPI are asking us to release information on customers but they know it has to be done through the correct authorities.

"We are honour-bound by data protection and they know we cannot release information without a court order pursued through the correct legal channels."

Tiscali has had a difficult relationship with the music industry this year.

Last month, the internet firm's executives attacked the European music industry, saying record labels had made it "virtually impossible" to promote legal music online after being forced to close its filesharing service after just five weeks.

In April, the ISP launched the Tiscali Juke Box service to allow consumers in Italy and the UK to listen legally to streamed songs and share them with other registered users.

However, despite the service being given the green light, it has now been judged by the record companies as being "too interactive" because of the extensive search functionality available to users.

The service will remain down unless Tiscali removes the search function - which it says would defeat the purpose of the entire product - or it agrees to negotiate interactive rights with each label.

Yesterday, the BPI accused some ISPs are "turning a blind eye" to illegal filesharing and not taking effective steps to stop it.

The BPI chairman, Peter Jamieson, said that he was providing the ISPs with "unequivocal evidence of copyright infringement via their services".

The BPI also said it had gathered evidence using the unauthorised filesharing networks themselves.

Whenever an individual uses a filesharing network, he or she reveals the unique internet protocol address of the account being used at that time.

From this, the BPI said it has identified which ISP provides the service, however, only the ISP knows to which individual the IP address belongs.

Forty-two of the web accounts the BPI wants suspended are with Cable & Wireless.

Until now, the BPI has concentrated its efforts on individuals, pursuing legal action against 139 uploaders.

The four cases to have gone to court have been found in the BPI's favour and another 111 uploaders have chosen to settle out of court, each paying out up to %u00A36,500.

world-of-digital.com (http://media.guardian.co.uk/newmedia/story/0,,1818123,00.html)

So it would seem the BPI are trying to get people kicked off the internet but refuse to give the ISP evidence of any wrong doing

DanielHarvey
12-07-2006, 11:33 AM
Its a disgrace to expect an ISP to do this without supplying proper evidence.

hacker
12-07-2006, 02:35 PM
Its a scarey thought though that there are starting to clamp down on illegal downloading, i reckon in a few years time there wil b a lot of ppl fined

twobeercans
12-07-2006, 06:42 PM
at what point do these kinds of activities impinge on our civil liberties - personally i would say about now, what is going on here is no different to illegal phone tapping. oh its ok for them to use filesharing software to catch file sharers pfpfpf!"$%$%^"^ i don't fookin think so.
If it is posted on the internet then it is not illegal to download it ffs, now uploading something copyrighted may well be a breach of copyright - but since fookin when is downloading and listening of something freely availbale been a breach of copyright. If it is are not isp's giving us the means by which the copyrights are broken or doesn't that count because they are rich and powerful companies not easily frightened off.
Every single isp's own news servers carries a huge qauntity of freely available copyrighted material - funny i don't see them getting chased, i do see them cracking on to the small site that tells peeps where to find this copyrighted material on isp's servers though!!!! Its about time this was sorted properly, why the fook do we pay more for ipod downloads than our nieghbouring countries?? makes you wonder doesn't it?

hixy
12-07-2006, 07:04 PM
kazza l,imewire and so are monitered now so best to use nzbs and newsleacher

Hitman
12-07-2006, 07:20 PM
Its all part of the big brother regime!!!

hacker
12-07-2006, 08:15 PM
Is ther any sort of software that blocks them from actually monitoring these filesharing services

Shipoftheline
14-07-2006, 09:58 AM
Is ther any sort of software that blocks them from actually monitoring these filesharing services

Just use the torrents

Shipoftheline
14-07-2006, 10:01 AM
i would say about now, what is going on here is no different to illegal phone tapping.

Thats a good point if your an adsl user I would love to see this go to court the only difference is its data instead of voice

hacker
14-07-2006, 10:46 AM
So they cant monitor torrent downloads then??

Shipoftheline
14-07-2006, 10:49 AM
So they cant monitor torrent downloads then??
works different to other p2ps like kazaa and would be much harder for them to do anything

hacker
14-07-2006, 06:24 PM
Interesting,lol