PDA

View Full Version : Web Hosting Help

pande_monium
09-03-2009, 04:03 PM
G'day to all the Gurus... Hoping to find some help & guidance.

Issue: I need a NAS and I'm planning on replacing it with either the

QNAP TS-409 Pro Turbo NAS (To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. OR.... Drobo & Dorboshare combination (To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. My requirements (listed priority-wise) are that the NAS should be able to serve as a:

Media Server
Serve as my shared iTunes library & as a usual media server
Web hosting server
I need to host a couple of small websites. The volume to these websites is expected to be low i.e. about 10-25 hits / day and 4-5 orders/day.
The website should be able to accept secure payment via credit-cards/paypal/etc Website type = eCommerce
Items for sale = 100-250

File & FTP Server
Be able to share files across the internet between my family members, etc.
The above NASs readily do these jobs, and more. Obviously, there are differences (and I'd be happy to find out if anyone has any good/bad experiences/issues with either item). One of the main differences, which affects (read stumps) me, is this:

The QNAP has inbuilt support for phpMyAdmin, Joomla! and dual support of MySQL and SQLite. It also supports DDNS for domain name redirection to its hosted websites.

The Drobo has a "Lighttpd Web Server" and a INADYN DDNS client.
Now, this is where my understanding/knowledge ends. I'm Donald Duck beyond this ! What I need help/advice from you folks is :

Which side should I lean towards - Joomla! or Lighttpd?
Are these the only options I'm limited to?

What are the pre-requisites I need in either case? Dev s/w, etc?
If going for Joomla!, how can I customise the Joomla! templates that people have kindly put up?
A HUGE Thank You in advance for all responses.

Dr X
17-03-2009, 07:59 PM
Which side should I lean towards - Joomla! or Lighttpd?
I would say both m8 if i`m to be honest as http is great once u learn it and easy and there is plenty of proggys that teach you.

Are these the only options I'm limited to?
Not by a long shot m8, most servers have plenty of goodies now and they call them "Easy Apps Collection" depending on the server provider they are like so.
Blogs
* b2evolution
* feedonfeeds
* WordPress
CMS & Portals
* e107
* Joomla
* Mambo CMS
* PHP Nuke
* PhpWiki
* vtiger
* xoops
Forums
* phpBB
* SM Forum
* XMB Forum
E-Commerce
* CubeCart
* OpenX
* osCommerce
* PHPAdsNew
* phpcoin
* SugarCRM
* Zen Cart
Support Systems
* CS Live Helper
* helpcenterlive
* phpMyChat
* phpMyFAQ
Galleries
* Coppermine Photo Gallery
* Gallery
Misc.
* DokuWiki
* FormMail
* phpESP
* phpgroupware
* PHProjekt
* Advanced Poll
* SiteBar
* sRecommender
* WebCalendar
* WebCards
The above is a just some of the list i have on one of my media servers, so as you can see there is quite a few.

What are the pre-requisites I need in either case? Dev s/w, etc?
Once again m8 most server providers will have the revelent links to the main sites were software is offered but if i can help you in geting any such progies ect i`ll be more than happy to help ;)

If going for Joomla!, how can I customise the Joomla! templates that people have kindly put up?
Once again useing most php and httm/L software will do the trick for yea, there are lots of software, but joomla is easy to work with m8 and you`ll master it in no time.
Once again if i can help just give me a PM or short and i`ll be more than happy to help.

One thing i will mention m8 is that, when choosing a Media Server provider, i`ve always found that a Linux server is better than a win media server, but that is my own personal view and no doubt others would disagree :)

pande_monium
24-03-2009, 01:17 AM
Cheers DrX. Wow... ok.. this is such good news.

Have started reading up on some stuff now and hope to be able to understand the basics in a couple of weeks (time is a rare commodity unfortunately).

Will try to avoid annoying you will silly questions :) but if the going gets really nasty will definitely raise a question for you.

Wish me luck :)... dang... I'm gonna need it !

Dr X
25-03-2009, 05:04 PM
You`ll be ok m8, just dont try skipping things that you dont understand as later in such things u need to know them lol.
You take your time and when you need any help just let me know i`ll be more than happy to help you bud ;)

Ashtechsmith
06-07-2012, 09:41 PM
Web hosting used to be very simple yet expensive at the early stages of its inception. Responding to the diverse needs of customers, web hosting too becomes more technical and a bit complex. Now its quiet an easy thing to build and administer a web site. Web hoisting has also become competitive. There was a time when web hosting was only considered to be corporate sector or institutional solution. Today, everyone can make his own website and for personal as well as for business purpose.