PDA

View Full Version : new bike test

Hunter
27-02-2009, 09:56 AM
dont forget as from april the new bike test comes into force
its being changed from a simple test to a two part "and thats not counting your theory

so...... as not to frighten you all off i,ve added a little something for you to think about
LINK (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gs2RnbvHSuU) :roflmao:

dil
28-02-2009, 10:35 PM
and...
A key decision is that the practical motorcycling test will be split into two modules.

Module 1 ? a specified off road manoeuvres test ?10.00

Module 2 ? a road riding test ?70.00

Require candidates to complete both modules within 24 months of passing a relevant theory test.

DSA - Improving Road Safety through the Multi Purpose Test Centre (http://www.dsa.gov.uk/Category.asp?cat=402)

Diablo13
01-03-2009, 10:55 PM
:nss:

Improved road safety my ariss! It's just another money making scam by the government.
What makes this test different from before, apart from the price? :53:
I eventually decided to take my test on a bike about 17 years ago, there was no actual theory test like now, just the highway code bit, like watch out for a hump in the road. :63: :p
The test itself was still 2 parts though, the first bit was off road handling, where you had to ride round Morrisons without hitting anyone or knocking the stacks of special offers over. :bike: :))
Then there was the road test where you had to prove you could still keep control while driving slow enough for the tester to keep up! :rolleyes: :lol3:
So I say again, what exactly is different, apart from the price? :confused:

dil
02-03-2009, 08:24 PM
:nss:

Improved road safety my ariss! It's just another money making scam by the government.
What makes this test different from before, apart from the price? :53:
I eventually decided to take my test on a bike about 17 years ago, there was no actual theory test like now, just the highway code bit, like watch out for a hump in the road. :63: :p
The test itself was still 2 parts though, the first bit was off road handling, where you had to ride round Morrisons without hitting anyone or knocking the stacks of special offers over. :bike: :))
Then there was the road test where you had to prove you could still keep control while driving slow enough for the tester to keep up! :rolleyes: :lol3:
So I say again, what exactly is different, apart from the price? :confused:

Motorbikes have better braking and much sharper maneuverability than a car, so i cant understand how the motorbike test is more expensive than a cars test fee, doing the extra skills test off road (module1)wont help if someone is going to drive stupid anyway.
Would they respond better or differently if something pops out infront of them out of the blue? maybe the TRAINING involved (avoidance test)to pass module 1 might help the noobs to some extent.

(by the way (from 4th gear to 1st gear) when you approace a junction comming to a stop you slow down as you do then do you knock your gear down one by one as you drive slower and slower approaching the junction till ur in first
or
Do you slow down and knock down in first from 4th to 1st quickly just before you stop and put your foot down.)
i'm still learning :)

Diablo13
02-03-2009, 11:17 PM
Well you cant fall off a car, so you need extra training to stay upright. Best to do that off road because the bottom of a bus is'nt pretty. :D

The better braking and manoverability of a bike can cause its own problems, such as sharp braking in wet or icy conditions means you can lock up easier and slide. Wet manhole covers and oil on the road from other vehicles builds up and can also be a bit of a bugger for the unwary as well. These problems are really more to do with being alert to the dangers though and they can't really teach you that!
As with all vehicles you must look ahead and read the road. To approach a junction you should slow down under control so that you don't need to brake hard when you finally stop. You should go down through your gears steadily to slow down the engine and take advantage of it's braking power. When you do stop you stop in second, NOT first! If you try to stamp it in to first you will likely be going too fast and can either; grind the gears, lock your back wheel, overwind your engine or even snap a chain. The first gear ratio is too low to be used like that and if it wont go in you will be stuck in neutral, so freewheeling with no power to help you out of anything tricky!
For that same reason you go down through each gear because if you try to drop straight down you have to keep the clutch in and freewheel again, then when you let the clutch out the engine will be turning too fast for the lower gear. You will lock your back wheel unless your lucky. Try that on a shaft driven bike if you want excitement, eh Hunter.

You never stop learning hopefully, it keeps you safe. It's the cocky gits that come to grief because they know it all and it can't happen to them! The A+E dept of hospitals and cemetery's are full of them.
I hope this gives you something to think about dil?

If I'm absolutely honest I think everyone should do the off road training before they can buy L plates or go on the road at all! Long before a test you should prove you are capable of at least basically handling your bike, before you are allowed on the road. That way there is less chance of you injuring yourself or others in traffic while you are learning.
There are enough muppets on the road that should'nt be in charge of a pair of slippers! ;)

Hunter
05-03-2009, 04:53 PM
the new test is still gonna be 80 quid its just split up into 2 parts thats all
for ?10 you do your first half in a testing station involving emergangy stops, u-turns, flying around bollard's and that,

2nd part is ?70 whereby you go on the road and have a drive about as you would normally have done before, apart from you no longer do your manouvers on the road test now ei: uturn and emergancy stoping

so its still in effect the same price
if you fail either you start again lol

bit of an expensive start really

cbt: 100 quid
theory: 35 quid
main test 80 quid
then theres the lessons for round about 60 quid for 2 hours

not forgeting the hire of a bike for the test which works out about 60 quid

=285 if you only take the one lesson :lol3:

Lainie
05-03-2009, 06:41 PM
dont forget as from april the new bike test comes into force
its being changed from a simple test to a two part "and thats not counting your theory

so...... as not to frighten you all off i,ve added a little something for you to think about
LINK (To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. f**k a duck they are bloody good

dil
05-03-2009, 06:44 PM
Well you cant fall off a car, so you need extra training to stay upright. Best to do that off road because the bottom of a bus is'nt pretty. :D

The better braking and manoverability of a bike can cause its own problems, such as sharp braking in wet or icy conditions means you can lock up easier and slide. Wet manhole covers and oil on the road from other vehicles builds up and can also be a bit of a bugger for the unwary as well. These problems are really more to do with being alert to the dangers though and they can't really teach you that!
As with all vehicles you must look ahead and read the road. To approach a junction you should slow down under control so that you don't need to brake hard when you finally stop. You should go down through your gears steadily to slow down the engine and take advantage of it's braking power. When you do stop you stop in second, NOT first! If you try to stamp it in to first you will likely be going too fast and can either; grind the gears, lock your back wheel, overwind your engine or even snap a chain. The first gear ratio is too low to be used like that and if it wont go in you will be stuck in neutral, so freewheeling with no power to help you out of anything tricky!
For that same reason you go down through each gear because if you try to drop straight down you have to keep the clutch in and freewheel again, then when you let the clutch out the engine will be turning too fast for the lower gear. You will lock your back wheel unless your lucky. Try that on a shaft driven bike if you want excitement, eh Hunter.

You never stop learning hopefully, it keeps you safe. It's the cocky gits that come to grief because they know it all and it can't happen to them! The A+E dept of hospitals and cemetery's are full of them.
I hope this gives you something to think about dil?

If I'm absolutely honest I think everyone should do the off road training before they can buy L plates or go on the road at all! Long before a test you should prove you are capable of at least basically handling your bike, before you are allowed on the road. That way there is less chance of you injuring yourself or others in traffic while you are learning.
There are enough muppets on the road that should'nt be in charge of a pair of slippers! ;)

Thanks for the gear changing tip, i always changed to lower gear really fast when approaching a junction, it didnt feel right when i did it, looks like i better get some profesional lessons in once i get some money saved up.

Doing it your way makes sense using the gears to slow the bike down etc..

if you fail either you start again lol
Thats wank if the test is split they should then treat it split, next they'll come out with if you fail your practical you have to do your theory test again, grrrrrr

Diablo13
05-03-2009, 07:06 PM
Blimey Hunter that's got expensive! 100 quid for the CBT?
They don't exactly throw the lessons at you either do they!
Apart from the theory it sounds pretty much as I remember when I took it?
Times like this I'm glad I'm getting old and have got all this behind me.

Hunter
05-03-2009, 07:21 PM
Thats **nk if the test is split they should then treat it split, next they'll come out with if you fail your practical you have to do your theory test again, grrrrrrand from what i,ve heard its hard to get the part 1 and 2 in the same day:banghead:

dil
26-03-2009, 05:02 PM
if you fail either you start again

I emailed dsa to get the low down here is what i got:-

I asked:-
If i have passed my cbt, theory test and module 1 and failed module 2 which tests will i have to retake?

and she relpied:-

If you have passed your CBT training, theory test and Module 1 test but failed your Module 2 test, then you need only retake your Module 2 test, as long as your theory test and Module 1 test certificates are still valid.

I hope this answers your question.

Margaret Annable
MPTC Communications Liaison Officer

Tel: 0115 936 6480
Fax: 0115 936 6581

(After passing module 1 a certificate is issued which is valid for 2 years) pheww a bit of relief there.

Diablo13
27-03-2009, 01:16 AM
Good info dil.
It was a good idea to check out where you stand from the horses mouth, not that I've ever met her. ;)
Two years seems quite reasonable to take part 2 again to me. I would have expected about six months. Gives you a bit of time to practice and save up again. :thumbup2: