PDA

View Full Version : The Dark Knight

tinkertiler
04-02-2009, 07:49 PM
Right i have just got a blue ray and hd dvd drive for my pc which i have just hooked up to my tv with hdmi. Anyway the picture is great and i have the sound is brill as i have it going through my amp. Now the thing that i have noticed is that alot of the film is in letterbox (black line at top and bottom) and then other parts of the film (i noticed at the begining when they rob the bank) the complete screen is covered!! Now while im not bothered about it or anything it just kept happening all the way through the film. It wasnt the tv popping it it just happened like it was on the disc format. Does this happen on stand alone players or is it just the way that i have it set up that is doing it?

None of the other films i have do it just this one. So its just a curiocity question if anyone else can help.

By the way it worked out alot cheaper to do it this way than buying a stand alone one only ?70 for the drive which can read Blue Ray and HD DVD and write cds and dvds.

little_pob
04-02-2009, 09:41 PM
Not got TDK myself, but its to do with the IMAX filmed scenes:

Most of Dark Knight is shot in 2.40:1 ratio so there are black bars on the top and bottom. When the picture fills the widescreen, the aspect ratio changes to 1.78:1 signaling the change to the IMAX scenes which are largely establishing shots of Gotham (Chicago) and all of big action moments.

tinkertiler
04-02-2009, 11:22 PM
Thanks for the info little_pob it was bugging me why it was doing that and now i have the answer. Seems a little odd that they would film some scenes like that and then alter it for the rest of the film oh well they must have thought it looked good. . . . . all it did was bug me lol