PDA

View Full Version : Broken Simm Socket Pace 4001

moonster
09-07-2006, 08:36 PM
Hello All

I managed to break the simm socket on a Pace 4001 (Over confident with LED SIMM me thinks). Basically ive managed to break a couple of the legs off the socket.

Does anyone know if this is a standard 72 pin Simm Socket?

And if it is where can i get the right type? I have had a look at Farnell and they offer about 6 different variants. Anyone got any ideas as to which is likely to be the correct one?

Cheers
Moonster

Chookey
09-07-2006, 10:43 PM
Hello All
I managed to break the simm socket on a Pace 4001 (Over confident with LED SIMM me thinks). Basically ive managed to break a couple of the legs off the socket.
Does anyone know if this is a standard 72 pin Simm Socket?
And if it is where can i get the right type? I have had a look at Farnell and they offer about 6 different variants. Anyone got any ideas as to which is likely to be the correct one?
Cheers
Moonster
Have a word with TBC mate, he has replaced a couple recently. I suspect he has used spare boards for the sockets but they are a bitch to remove. Best to know what you're letting yourself in for first.

Chookey

twobeercans
09-07-2006, 10:50 PM
tbh wouldn't know where to start looking for a new replacement, i use recovered parts myself (they are not that easy to recover but quite do-able).
However removing your old 1 without doing damage to the board and leaving it in a fit state to fit the replacement is gonna take a little skill and patience with a mini blow torch. - if you know which pins are broken (meter them to find out) you could always add a few hard links from stb motherboard to simm?? much easier. infact before i worked up the courage to takle the problem i actually in the past hardwired the whole simm lmao. Since those eearly days i have become quite an expert at changing atty's and simm sockets and once even a processor with a mini blow torch. don't even fire up the rework station anymore lol

moonster
11-07-2006, 05:35 PM
Hello all, just to keep you updated. Ive oredred a 72 Pin Simm socket from Farnell for a cost of £2.50. Ill keep you all updated when it arrives to see if it is of the correct type.

Cheers
Moonster

moonster
23-07-2006, 09:28 AM
That was a bum idea, the simm is different from a pc simm. Ill have to try and hardwire. Thanks all.

Moonster