PDA

View Full Version : lost cause?????

grantstrouther1982
17-12-2008, 12:52 PM
hi all
i know this will prob be the most stupid post you have ever read but i'm trying to get an old pc tower unit running windows 98 se to connect wirelessly to the internet (dont laugh)
i have already found the drivers and installed the dongle and have it connected to my home network i just cant figure out how to connect to the net.
i know the tower is a relic but all i want it to do is connect to the net, run utorrent and access my external hd.
i am not hopeful i will get this working but i know some of you guys on here are geniuses and its always worth a try

Sicilian
17-12-2008, 12:57 PM
If you can connect to your home network, you should be able to connect to the net.

Go to the wifi dongle properties in networking & make sure the ip is set to auto.

Check wifi router settings, ensure no pc's are blocked.

Turn off all pc's, reboot wifi router, then turn back on pc's on network.

dx100-uk
17-12-2008, 02:46 PM
make sure you ARE in the correct
workgroup on all the PC's & that the gateway is set the same on all PC's.

dx

Calico
20-12-2008, 12:56 AM
Is your home network connected through a router? / or hub?

How many other pc's do you have on it? and are they connecting to the internet ok?

Speedy2206
20-12-2008, 01:10 AM
In Windows 98 you will have to use the WIRELESS UTILITY that is supplied with the dongle, because there isnt any built-in wireless support like there is in XP or above.

Using the wireless utility, find your wireless network (you will probably have to do a SCAN or SITE SURVEY), then enter your WEP/WPA key when prompted. If connected OK you will get an IP address assigned automatically.

After that you will need to tell the computer that you want to connect "via the Local Area Connection (LAN)". Although its not a wired connection you still need to select this so that internet explorer doesnt think you want to dial a connection.

Also you will need to go to INTERNET PROPERTIES (either in control panel or via the settings menu in internet explorer), and check "Never automatically dial a connection" instead of "Dial whenever a connection is not present". Also make sure that no proxy server IP is entered and that the "Automatically detect" box is not ticked.