PDA

View Full Version : Topfield TF 5810 PVR 500gb Freeview recorder

Diablo13
02-12-2008, 07:59 PM
I have been looking at these as an upgrade to my current Humax 9200T freeview box, because they have an HDMI slot and upscale to 1080i. I wondered if anyone had any experience with this box or any Topfield box? I was inclined to go with another Humax as they have been good and reliable for me, but although a bit cheaper than the Topfield do not have the same amount of features.
I do not really need a 500gb hdd, but I do need twin tuners HDMI with upscaling and 7 or 8 days epg.
I would be grateful for anyones advice or experience as to the good and bad qualities of the Topfield, or a suggestion of a better box around the ?230 - ?250 price mark which would meet my needs? For example do any of the Dreamboxes come with HDMI sockets or twin tuners?
Thanks for your help people.

Sicilian
03-12-2008, 11:12 AM
The only dreambox with hdmi & twin tuners is the dm8000, but that comes with a price tag of over 800quid!. Not worth the spend for freeview.

keyd
28-12-2008, 10:40 PM
The topfield tf5810pvr (To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. more or less has the same features as the tf5800 both are good machines backed by 2 year warranty. The only issue you may get is a Hard disk problem which is a moving part other wise it is perfectly fine and I own a tf5800

Diablo13
29-12-2008, 01:49 AM
I bought a Topfield 5810 new.
Straight out of the box there was no digital display unless you picked it up and shook it a bit! I eventually got it going and set it to record 2 programs as a test. It recorded 1 of them and 2 mins of the wrong program for the other. The HDMI connection gave me sound, but only a blank green screen.
I hated the clumsy feel to the epg menus which only showed 4 channel lines, compared to the older Humax's 5.
It went back the next day and I bought a Humax 5300t. The Humax only has a 320gb hard drive and only upscales to 720p compared to the Topfields 1080i, but it works flawlessly. I also got it new for ?110 cheaper than the Topfield, including postage. The only crib I have about the Humax is a slightly noisy fan when there is no sound on, but its not noticeable when watching telly normally.
I obviously got a faulty Topfield to start with, but after checking out the epg and recording menus which are crap compared to the Humax, I certainly wouldn't buy another Topfield.
I do appreciate your comments with regard to your experience though keyd.