PDA

View Full Version : if i get NTL Broadband...??

billyie
09-07-2006, 08:47 AM
Hi guys....hoping for ya help here.....!!
i have NTL basic tv package in an ntl area...and hope to go with the broadband they now offer..but wondering does this effect the use of my modded box ..wil they be able to see my box ....that, by the way has talk back already cut...but just not sure if the connection to their braodband will show any thing..sorry if this has been asked before..could nt find anything about this...
thanks for ya help...Bilyie

jumpinjo
09-07-2006, 09:38 AM
dont get package from ntl just get yourself a modem, preferably surfboard and do the business away you go :)

Diablo13
09-07-2006, 10:03 AM
Hi billyie,
I am on ntl for basic analogue telly and Broadband for my PC. The same Ntl cable is split (by them) to provide both services as all are streamed into your house but the receivers and their added monitors define what you can receive. As jumpino said the best way is to get a surfboard modem of your own, BUT Very BIG BUT, be aware Ntl provide their own modems and it is not their policy to allow you to use your own so they will not activate your modem to your ip address without a bit of a struggle! This is 1st hand experience as when I got my Surfboard, which was previously an NTL modem they would not activate it until an engineer friend of mine managed to persuede them that he was on callout from them to fix my pc and that the modem provided by them was faulty.
I know this is a bit long winded but just be aware of the snag. I removed the Ntl analogue box and replaced it with the Replay box so I could cancel the analogue subscription because they just increased their prices and I decided to buy a Freeview (undisclosed Replay) box instead.
It all works for me and I save the 5 1/2 quid a month. I hope you find this experience helpful. v:)

billyie
09-07-2006, 10:23 AM
I am completely new to this .....and really appreciate ya help heree....
Wow....so could actually get a modem from fleabay and connect it up myself..but wont they detect this....??and if so how do i avoid them detecting it..?

And i read that the surf 4100e is the one to go for....any advice on this modem..?

and any link to a tut..if its avaible here ..thanks guys...

Diablo13
09-07-2006, 11:08 AM
billyie, of course they'l detect it you have to tell them you've got it, if you want to do it legally. I have heard of people using stolen IP addresses and other tricks but I don't really know anything about that. I would suggest you have at least 1 legitimate service, as someone else said previously, to help you hide any other nefarious activities. LOL. v:)
I hav a friend who has the 4100 an he is big into computers and he's very pleased with his. I have the older SB3100 and have never had any problem at all with it in 2 years. Unlike ntls Silverfish 200 whichI had 2 of in 6 months! :troutslap:

billyie
09-07-2006, 11:24 AM
Thanks mate..so the way forward is to get thier cheapest broadband package from NTL, and then change the modem ...and i believe i would change the modem so as i can actually increase the speed from say 1mb to 3mb, without ntl knowing ..or charging me for the fatser speeds..
Am i right here...??Thanks again...

Diablo13
12-07-2006, 06:13 AM
Sorry M8, no your not. If you clock the speed of your modem they WILL detect it and quite quickly. A personal friend of mine did just that and believe me he is an expert who fixes computers etc for a living. They gave him a second chance but if he did it again they would blacklist him with all the service providers and he could face criminal prosecution!
I am no expert but I personnally would'nt bother as its just not worth it. As I understand it, A replay box or the like can receive all the channels that are pushed out because they all are pushed out to everyone. So you get around the scrambling and your laughing, your just opening a bigger tap. If you hack a modem its different somehow because they are not sending you bandwidth, it is there but if you get more than you should you are stealing it in effect, and they can moniter what you draw off, like the electric or gas companies can. They take a very dim view of this, bit like Bill Gates at a piracy convention.
Don't get me wrong I think all companies exploit their customers for the great god of profit, so anything you can get over on them is a victory for the little man, but I wont get the **** if you get caught, you will, so think about it carefully before you hack a modem. Apparently your better stealing your neighbours bandwidth within reason, with a wireless modem if you know how to do it. It's unlikely they will prosecute you and may not even notice if you dont kick the arse out of it. Apart from that its their own bloody silly fault for not hiding it or protecting it like you have to do with a Bluetooth phone.
Please understand I am trying to be helpful, but as I said I am by no means an expert though I have friends that are. I would invite anyone reading this to feel free to correct me if they feel I have in anyway misled anyone.
Good luck to you billyie whatever you decide to do, but think about it first, as if you were expert enough to hack the modem and not get caught, then you would'nt be asking me for advice now would you. :trustme: v:)
PS, just as an afterthought, Ntl recently increased all their speed settings across the board at the same price, so if you subscribed to 1mb broadband at 14.99p a month you will now get 2mb broadband, uncapped for the same price, which seems like a pretty good speed and price deal to me. v:)

vasehedar
14-07-2006, 09:06 PM
there;s always risk attached to this kind of activity but Q is how do you minimise the risk.

My advice is to 1) change MAC every few weeks and chagne ur NIC MAC
2) Dont download too excessively!

mickm
26-07-2006, 03:50 PM
You Cant Go Wrong For £30 The Lot

martinuk
31-01-2007, 11:58 PM
hi just bought a cable modem of ebay its a motorola surfboard sb4100 its gt softwear loded with it and all other stuff but ant got a clue how to work it i got get mac addys in stoke on trent ares and then got to connect it up can any one help me how the hell am i gonna get macs every week??;;lool

Cableguy69
03-02-2007, 10:49 AM
For F*cks S@ke, N*L can detect cloned modems on the network, the trouble is, the cable network is like one big splitter, the CC's can only locate the modem to a general area, from there it's like a needle in a hay stack. Many, many people are using cloned modems undeteced, I've been using my modems for 3 years and never had a knock on the door. I do however pay min subscription so my catv line doesn't get disconneted. Go to the downloads area and download the Haynes Guide, it covers all makes and models of modems. The easiest modems to do are Moto SB4100 or the Moto SB4200 as you don't need any additional hardware, just an ethernet cable. Like I said download the Haynes and you may be a little more informed. Just read the first few chapters, about the basics, and then take a look at the 4100/4200 chapters.

http://world-of-digital.com/forums/f71/12571-haynes-guide-modems-rev-1-6-a.html