PDA

View Full Version : friend needing upgrade

scoobydooby
08-07-2006, 07:28 PM
hi , a friend of mine is needing his computer upgraded and needs some advice on whats hot and whats not,he has not changed his board for a couple of years and needs to know what good upgrades there are out there

currently running:

Pentium P4 3.2 g
ASUS P4C800
GT 6800 Nvidia
2 GIG ddr 400 RAM
Audidgy 2 soundcard

little_pob
10-07-2006, 01:30 PM
Current technologies:
64bit processing: AMD and Intel both have 64bit capable processors (in fact all of AMDs current processors are 64bit)
Dual core processors (e.g. the "Core 2 Duo"s from intel and the "X2"s from AMD)
PCI-e graphics cards: 'SLi' from nVidia, 'Crossfire' from ATI allow the use of multiple GFx cards
PhysX cards: A PCI card that takes the physics calculations off the GFx card (not many games currently support these cards, but the number is increasing)
DDR2: Both Intel and AMD have processors out that can utilise this faster clock cycle memory
Audidgy X-Fi: The latest in the line of Creative's soundcards (approx 4 different types)

jay
10-07-2006, 07:11 PM
nice post little pob
There are many factors when building a new pc, including: Budget, physical size, hdd space and general use. My pc cost me nearly 2k to build but its taylored to my needs.
So a little more info please

Being a Asus and a AMD man, i'd suggest the Asus M2N-SLI Deluxe with the new AM2 proccessor as your base.

Tom's Hardware UK and Ireland (http://tomshardware.co.uk/) is a good place for reviews