PDA

View Full Version : Hostel blaze victims 'let down'

Wee Gordon
08-07-2006, 12:13 PM
Last Updated: Saturday, 8 July 2006, 09:07 GMT 10:07 UK

E-mail this to a friend Printable version

Hostel blaze victims 'let down'

Natalie Morris (right) and Sarah Williams were both killed in the fire
The father of a backpacker who died in an arson attack at an Australian hostel has criticised the authorities for failing to prosecute its operators.
Natalie Morris, 28, from Cefn Coed, near Merthyr Tydfil, was one of 15 people to die in the fire in Childers, Queensland, in June 2000.

A Queensland coroner has ruled that the hostel operators should not face any charges.

Ken Morris said he felt the authorities had "let down" those who died.

Life sentence

The fire at the Palace backpackers' hostel on 23 June, 2000 killed 15 people, seven of whom were from the UK.

Among those who died was Natalie Morris, 28, who was travelling with her friend Sarah Williams, 23, of Aberfan, who also died in the blaze.

Fruit picker Robert Long was found guilty of starting the fire and jailed for life in March 2002.

Ken Morris says he feels those who died have been let down

Eleven of the victims' families filed civil proceedings against the Queensland state government, local authorities and the hostel operators.

Queensland state coroner Michael Barnes this week reopened an inquiry into whether the hostel's managers should be charged for allegedly failing to provide adequate emergency escape routes from the hostel.

The inquiry heard that the century-old hostel had never had a fire inspection.

A fire alarm at the hostel was faulty and was turned off.

Windows were barred or nailed or painted shut and escape exits were blocked. At the time of the fatal blaze 87 people were at the hostel despite a local law limiting occupancy to 53 people.

Hostel operators John Dobe and Christian Atkinson both refused to give evidence before the coroner.

On Friday, Mr Barnes found that they were not so negligent that they should face manslaughter charges.

'Safety precautions'

Mr Morris said: "This decision has left the doors wide open for anyone in Australia in these circumstances to ignore safety.

"Anyone who runs a hostel for paying customers apparently does not have to follow fire and safety precautions.

The hostel was destroyed in the arson attack in 2000

"One of the things that we wanted out of this was justice for our youngsters.

"I was so proud of my daughter for wanting to go out to Australia.

"I still would not discourage any youngsters wanting to go out there but I would strongly urge anyone to make sure themselves all the safety precautions where they want to stay have been observed."

He added: "I thought Natalie would be safer out there than she would be if she'd gone to London. I was wrong.

"This shows the standards are different out there, but people from the UK would think it is like here.

"This decision has let down my daughter and everyone else who died in the hostel. But the authorities were not even prepared to admit that they are in the wrong."