PDA

View Full Version : BELKIN N1 VISION F5D8632UK4A N1 ADSL modem router

Gazer
16-10-2008, 12:57 PM
does anyone have this and is it any good ? as i was looking at getting one this weekend

Your thoughts please

Regards Gazer

little_pob
16-10-2008, 01:43 PM
I've been looking at these myself. I do like the Belkin brand (though a lot of people don't).

The download monitor is a nice gimick, but I'm not sure if its worth the extra over the F5D8631uk4A.

There are 2 things that put me off: There's nothing wrong with my current Belkin modem/router. As a BT customer, if I really wanted/needed a wireless 'N' access device I could just phone CS for a free home hub 2.

Have a read some of the reviews on Amazon: Amazon.co.uk: Customer Reviews: Belkin ADSL2+ ROUTER W/MODEM * N1 VISION (To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. and for the related cable router version: Amazon.co.uk: Customer Reviews: Belkin N1 Vision Wireless Router (http://www.amazon.co.uk/review/product/B000XRZOWO/ref=dp_top_cm_cr_acr_img/202-2543798-7526228?%5Fencoding=UTF8&showViewpoints=1)

Gazer
16-10-2008, 03:11 PM
I've been looking at these myself. I do like the Belkin brand (though a lot of people don't).

The download monitor is a nice gimick, but I'm not sure if its worth the extra over the F5D8631uk4A.

There are 2 things that put me off:

There's nothing wrong with my current Belkin modem/router.
As a BT customer, if I really wanted/needed a wireless 'N' access device I could just phone CS for a free home hub 2.
Have a read some of the reviews on Amazon: Amazon.co.uk: Customer Reviews: Belkin ADSL2+ ROUTER W/MODEM * N1 VISION (To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. and for the related cable router version: Amazon.co.uk: Customer Reviews: Belkin N1 Vision Wireless Router (To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Got to say i too like it for the display that is on it and like you say you get to see you download and upload speeds plus who is using it.

Thanks for the links little_pob ;) will have a read of them

Regards

kilowatt
03-11-2008, 10:28 PM
I have a Belkin Wireless G Plus MIMO at the moment. The router has been running for over a year now without any major issues. But it does, on occasions, drop its settings to default. The problem with this is that the wireless security has to be reset everytime it goes back to default. This is potentially a security hazard, specially since there is usually no indication the router has gone back to default.
I'm not sure if this is a problem with my router only or a general problem with these but the fact that the WPA security has not been set as default in the router(unlike some other routers that DO have security as default) leads me to believe the manufacturers must have a clown responsible for the wireless security dept.

nj2006
04-11-2008, 05:39 AM
just installed this in a shop. the download monitor is gr8 and very actate. it was very easy to install.

personaly i want one for the house but not the adsl version.

my belkin in the house drops settings aswell its a pain. although like you say thats a minor problem considering its been on constantly for over 3 years now. lest it lasted longer than the linksys i orignally bought .

little_pob
04-11-2008, 09:48 AM
Have you checked if there is new firmware available. Or even 3rd party firmware?

My Belkin does leave the 'connected' light on when the ADSL connection drops, other than that its fine - certainly not worth flashing the firmware.

My sister's Belkin DSL router did forget all its settings a day or so after first setting up - though I'm not conviced she didn't use the reset pin when the connection dropped as I also had to reboot the modem. However, I had saved the config file so setup was quick and easy. Since then its been fine.

kilowatt
05-11-2008, 01:54 AM
Have you checked if there is new firmware available. Or even 3rd party firmware?

I've checked for firmware updates a couples of times but apparently there's been no update for a while for this router.
I've tried various different settings & played around with this but have had no joy.
I did read somewhere this could be some overheating problem in the hardware. It can happen if its left running for long periods. I'm not sure if this is the cause of the problem but I do usually leave it running for days on end.

little_pob
05-11-2008, 10:29 AM
As an ADSL modem and wireless router mine is always on, I'm sure my sister leaves her cable DSL version (which could well be the same as yours) on 24/7 too. Both, however, have pleanty of ventilation.

Apparently some of the Belkin routers can be hacked to run Linux, but the instructions for the F5D7230-4 v1444 are beyond me: Hacking the Belkin F5D7230-4 Version 1444 router (To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Might it be worth you making a seperate thread and if you could include your model number?

kilowatt
05-11-2008, 05:18 PM
Mine is a DSL, model: F5D9230uk4.

The hacking tut does look a bit complicated & probably needs the best part of a day spending on it. Not sure if I have the patience!

icaicm
06-11-2008, 12:40 PM
i have the belkin n1 vision connected to my cable modem and i must say the router is very good. got loads of features and the range is very good as well.