PDA

View Full Version : Blue Ray for the 360

tinkertiler
08-10-2008, 11:45 PM
Well, well, well. Looks like the saga of the format war isn't over yet. And if this one proves to be true, it would certainly add an interesting new chapter. According to a report, Microsoft is getting ready to manufacture external Blu-ray disc drives for the Xbox 360.

This report comes after multiple vehement denials from Microsoft that it would ever happen, so it strikes me funny that the rumor still persists. Unless, of course, it's actually true. In which case, it would be terribly ironic, considering how valiantly (and, evidently, futilely) Microsoft fought against the Blu-ray format.

The report goes on to say that it's Toshiba-Samsung who picked up the contract to manufacture the external drives. A price tag of US$ 100 to US$ 150 is being pushed around for the drive.

I wouldn't put it past Microsoft to employ such a tactic to sell more consoles. It will probably work too - after all, one of Sony's main selling points for the PlayStation 3 is that it's also a great Blu-ray player. If the Xbox 360 gets a Blu-ray player, that's one less advantage for Sony.

The source article failed to mention where exactly they got their info, so for now this is tagged as rumor, pending official confirmation from Microsoft.

Maybe its getting a step closer as i would get one now that BR won the war and it will stop me getting a ps3 as that would be the only reason i would get one!!! Time will tell again i guess!!!

Collider
09-10-2008, 09:30 AM
Yea see this while back aswell but tbh i doubt they will wont to look like bigger mugs than they are for following the route of Blu Ray,i switched to ps3 for bluray to future proof meself but must admit 360 does have its advantages like quicker load times and for some reason when you download demos on ps3 it wants to install after but with 360 its done as its downloaded.

vincewrd
09-10-2008, 04:25 PM
who wants a external blu ray player, get ps3 so much better

tinkertiler
09-10-2008, 06:52 PM
who wants a external blu ray player, get ps3 so much better

Why would i want to spash out over ?200 for a Blue Ray player when if this is true i can get one alot cheaper? I wouldnt play on a PS3 they are horrid but im not going into that now, the 360 is all that i want and if i can get a add on so i can play Blue Ray for it then it will make the best even better!!

thelostone
12-10-2008, 10:31 AM
Was reading this today so who knows?
Xbox Group product manager Aaron Greenberg has refuted reports that Toshiba-Samsung Storage Technology Corp will develop a Blu-ray drive for the Xbox 360, claiming owners of the console would not be interested in such an add-on.

"We have no plans to integrate Blu-ray into the Xbox experience," he told Major Nelson. "We believe that we shouldn't force people to pay for things they don't want."

Following the commercial failure of the HD-DVD format Microsoft decided to invest in, Greenberg also stated that Microsoft's position on high-definition movie and TV content is currently centred around digital distribution.

"We've invested in a massive library of entertainment content. That's why we're bringing things like Netflix to members in the US, that's why we're growing our library in Europe, that's why we're adding all types of entertainment experiences around the world.

"And Blu-ray: who knows? I'll tell you one thing: if you look at retail sales and availability, there's not a lot there, and what is there is at a premium," he added. "No one knows what Blu-ray will be. It's pretty clear it's not the next DVD, right? The days of one physical format being the standard I think are gone... We're not sure if it's the next UMD or DVD."

plexo
14-10-2008, 11:12 PM
wmvhd on a dvd9

who needs original bluray?

x264 in bluray structure for ps3 aswell(wouldnt recommend unless your actually encoding it yourself as lately x264 release have sucked in quality due to scene standards not fully complete and alot of them are just been rushed in encoding so the group beats the others)

tinkertiler
15-10-2008, 07:25 AM
I went through a stage when i couldnt get enough HD films which i was converting to wmv then i just make do with dvds now alot quicker good enough quality and less hassle. And MS has denied the story about the Blue Ray drive AGAIN. :lol3:

plexo
15-10-2008, 04:48 PM
get WMV's ripped from blurays from where ever ya get yer stuff from ;)

burn to disc or stream over network, ya dont really notice a good difference unless u have a good big tv or a projector, but there is a good difference :)

Diablo13
21-10-2008, 02:03 AM
Like it or not Blu Ray won the format war.
In order for Microsoft to continue selling the 360, IN IT'S PRESENT FORMAT, I would think it made perfect sense to make a cheapish add on BluRay player to the console? The 360 is sold as a games console/ film player with high def capabilities, which it does very well.
More and more mainstream films are being released in Blu disk format, so Microsoft should stop being so childish about losing out to Sony this time and grab themselves a bite of the cherry, while also providing 360 owners with something many of them might want! This would also extend the life of the 360, unless Microsoft already have plans for a next next generation console to replace the 360, with UMD or Green Disk technology already incorporated? Which frankly would'nt surprise me.
The only question then would be WHEN? :-?