PDA

View Full Version : What would i be able to pick up on this set-up?

pacman160778
23-09-2008, 06:41 PM
Seen someone local to me selling this set up and was thinking of buying it.
I get poor freeview reception and not great analogue signals, especially when the weather is bad :( So i'm looking into something like this, but don't want another bill to pay every month so no Sky or whatever.
I really only need it for the football - english, scottish and whatever european matches are on live. I'm a setanta subscriber as well so would be good if this system has a card slot i could use, anyone know?
Anyhow, heres the ad, i've no idea about these things so any advice is appreciated :)

1 meter dish
diseq 1.3 (usals) compliant motor
Technomate 9100 PVR enabled DVB-S Satellite box
The whole system is fully functional, im selling as iv moved house and cant get any line of site (massive tree)
The dish is 1 metre and can be used to pick up freesat. ( though the box isnt hd)
It can also pick up any satellite from 60 east to 60 west
I previously was lifting 1w to 35east
You will be able to get all premiership matches with the setup, dependin on wat
satellite / provider you decide to watch the matches on ...
Im looking ?150 for the whole system which is a bargain, the sat and motor is already assembled and box has had the software updated...

dx100-uk
23-09-2008, 10:04 PM
just as a side note'
pop yourself along to one of the many freeview sites digtal.co.uk or WHY
if you look at the schedule, you should see when your area will go full power on freeview.
typically at present, most freeview is coming from lower power transmitters, then when the area goes fully digital, the main transmitter will be switched over and also there will generally be other improvement made to the signal.
so, if your area is near to switching and freeview could do what you want , p'haps this might be the answer

dx

pacman160778
24-09-2008, 12:06 AM
yeah its not happening here until 2012, which is why i'm looking into this type of thing.

i mean, i pay setanta every month but if its raining or windy then i can't even get to watch the matches when they're on and end up listening to them on the radio :(

Satsearching
24-09-2008, 01:09 AM
It sounds a decent setup, but multi satellite setups brand new can be cheap these days. Quite few years ago (in analogue days) I paid ?500 for a multisat system, just for the kit!

I'm currently sorting a family member with a system, with all new kit.

?69 for a 90cm dish including moteck motor, lnb, coax, brackets, f connectors etc with postage.

Approx ?65 for a clone DM500s box with postage inc.

?135 all in! Not bad! Have a google and shop around!

SS

dx100-uk
24-09-2008, 01:17 AM
yeah its not happening here until 2012, which is why i'm looking into this type of thing.

i mean, i pay setanta every month but if its raining or windy then i can't even get to watch the matches when they're on and end up listening to them on the radio :(

if you follow the postcode route and then drill through to the channels its says you should get, does this match what you are getting?

it sounds to me like you might be pointing into trees? or at or close to a roof that creates problems when wet?

either that, or your aerial has some issues with loose bracketing and or waterproofing of the connection?

i know its a side issue from the thread, but i'm interested to try and resolve your fv troubles.

dx

pacman160778
24-09-2008, 11:47 PM
if you follow the postcode route and then drill through to the channels its says you should get, does this match what you are getting?

it sounds to me like you might be pointing into trees? or at or close to a roof that creates problems when wet?

either that, or your aerial has some issues with loose bracketing and or waterproofing of the connection?

i know its a side issue from the thread, but i'm interested to try and resolve your fv troubles.

dx
Hi, no the website says i should be getting all the channels, but i only get a handful. When i tune my box in it only picks up 3 frequencies so only get the channels associated with those freqs. I don't get any of the ITV or Channel 4 channels (C4, E4, E4+1, etc.) I get maybe 10 channels tops, plus the radio channels.

Theres nothing in the way of the aerial, i have it on a pole on the room and its quite high up. Its just a cheap aerial though, ?20 from Argos a few months back, but it says its digital compatible. :S

It maybe is down to a loose bracket or something, as i had a friend go up on the roof and move it slightly as i was literally down to 3 or 4 channels, he moved the aerial to point in a different direction slightly and i was picking up 'most' of the freeview channels (not all of them though) but after a week or so they all stated disappearing again. Can only be down to wind or something moving them i guess?

I can't get up on the roof as its not something i can physically do anymore, and don't want to end up like Rod Hull lol! And i can't ask people to go up on my roof every time my freeview box drops a few channels!

pacman160778
24-09-2008, 11:49 PM
It sounds a decent setup, but multi satellite setups brand new can be cheap these days. Quite few years ago (in analogue days) I paid ?500 for a multisat system, just for the kit!
I'm currently sorting a family member with a system, with all new kit.
?69 for a 90cm dish including moteck motor, lnb, coax, brackets, f connectors etc with postage.
Approx ?65 for a clone DM500s box with postage inc.
?135 all in! Not bad! Have a google and shop around!
SS
So you reckon this second hand set up may not be a bargain then? Is the stuff you mentioned of a similar spec to the one i posted about?

I really have no clue about these things so all advice and info is appreciated.

:)

dx100-uk
25-09-2008, 12:44 AM
Hi, no the website says i should be getting all the channels, but i only get a handful. When i tune my box in it only picks up 3 frequencies so only get the channels associated with those freqs. I don't get any of the ITV or Channel 4 channels (C4, E4, E4+1, etc.) I get maybe 10 channels tops, plus the radio channels.

Theres nothing in the way of the aerial, i have it on a pole on the room and its quite high up. Its just a cheap aerial though, ?20 from Argos a few months back, but it says its digital compatible. :S

It maybe is down to a loose bracket or something, as i had a friend go up on the roof and move it slightly as i was literally down to 3 or 4 channels, he moved the aerial to point in a different direction slightly and i was picking up 'most' of the freeview channels (not all of them though) but after a week or so they all stated disappearing again. Can only be down to wind or something moving them i guess?!

ok well ithink that has nailed it then, probably not in the right direction & prob the inclination is screwed too, that would certainly cause what you are suffering from.

i dont think i've every changed the gear i use, just the channel i tune too.
it used to be BBC2, then it went to Ch4 , then along came ch5. [weakest channel over the last 30yrs!!] i always use a mini tv on the coax whilst im up the pole so to speak, spin it around a bit after getting the compass bearing from the bbc site , off i go. never fails on freeview, if you can get analogue ch.5. freeview will work.

anyhow, nuff said

i'll leave the thread to its original subject

dx

pacman160778
25-09-2008, 01:11 AM
my analogue channel 5 is rubbish and always has been in northern ireland :(

i'll take a pic of my aerial tomorrow so you can have a look, its a bit of a mess and an eyesore as its fitted with this weird and wonderful crazy aerial that doesn't seem to do anything lol