PDA

View Full Version : laptop Wireless

Albertz
15-09-2008, 07:35 PM
I have a packard bell laptop with a ralink RT2500 wireless card in it. I turned it on yesterday and it wouldn't find any wireless connections, i have uninstalled the card and reinstalled it checked the drivers, they are all up to date. Rolled the drivers back and done a system restore but still no joy. I also took the card out and put it back in. So am i right in saying that the card must be faulty or is there anything else i can do?

turner123
15-09-2008, 07:42 PM
is the wireless turned on?

try pressing Fn (function) button and F10 or what ever F button looks like it has a wireless logo on it

Albertz
15-09-2008, 07:51 PM
Yes the wireless is on, i have checked it with my n95 and iphone and they pic it up and others, the laptop doesn't pick anything up.

ihatedeskjets
15-09-2008, 08:33 PM
Sounds like the card has died to me, is it a mini pci card ? caution before you replace it and check the laptop doesnt have a "whitelist" built into the bios as IBM and HP laptops do.

My wireless card died in one of my HP's, I bought one from fleebay, same model and make, but the laptop rejected it at p.o.s.t saying "unsupported hardware at pci id:03"

same thing on an IBM i've got "although there is a fix for ibm's"

They do this to make sure you buy from certified suppliers and pay top whack for parts.

If in doubt get a usb wireless dongle and use that.

Albertz
15-09-2008, 09:01 PM
I am such an idiot, i just read under what the last guy said in his msg about pressing Fn and the wireless button. I just tried that and it turned back on. Thanks for all the replies.

dx100-uk
15-09-2008, 11:49 PM
duh!

dx

turner123
16-09-2008, 01:00 AM
I am such an idiot, i just read under what the last guy said in his msg about pressing Fn and the wireless button. I just tried that and it turned back on. Thanks for all the replies.lol happy you sorted it lol, nothing to technical in the end then lol