PDA

View Full Version : Mike Ashley to sell Newcastle United

fergalsworld
14-09-2008, 09:27 PM
Mike Ashley, Newcastle's beleaguered owner, has confirmed that he wants to sell the club following Kevin Keegan's resignation and supporters seemingly unrepentant in the removal of the St James' Park management.
Ashley only took charge at St James' Park outfit last summer and has endured a torrid spell at the helm in the North East.

His relationship with the fans has reached breaking point in the past week following the resignation of revered manager Keegan.

Keegan quit his post after just three games of the new season, claiming that he was forced to walk at St James' Park due to the board's continued involvement in the club's transfer policy. It is believed that Ashley met Keegan today in a final bid to lure him back to Newcastle.

Ashley said he is looking for a buyer, but he warned Newcastle supporters to be patient. He said in a lengthy and impasioned statement: "I am putting the club up for sale. I hope the next owner is someone who can lavish the amount of money on the club that the fans want.

"You don't need to demonstrate against me again because I have got the message. Any further action will only have an adverse effect on the team.

"I am determinded that Newcastle United is not only here today, but that it is here tomorrow for your children who stand beside you at St James' Park."

It is understood that a Chinese businessman and a North East consortium are in the running to take over the reins, while Ashley is also keen on contacting Dubai International Capital, who have been at the forefront of a takeover at Liverpool.
More here
Mike Ashley to sell Newcastle as he lets go of Tyneside turmoil - Football - Telegraph (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/leagues/premierleague/newcastle/2958200/Mike-Ashley-to-sell-Newcastle-as-he-lets-go-of-Tyneside-turmoil---Football.html)