PDA

View Full Version : which pigtail?

hakz
11-09-2008, 10:03 PM
I have an antenna that has a male RT-SMA connector. I need a pigtail that will connect that antenna to a device. Doesn't matter what the type of the other end is, but the cable diameter needs to be small. What should I buy?

dx100-uk
11-09-2008, 11:21 PM
have a look at cpc or maplins sites
there are various ones on one of those.

there is also a GPS site that doers them
if u get stuck i'll find the url

dx

hakz
11-09-2008, 11:45 PM
hi, thanks for the fast reply, will this work? PRO SIGNAL | NLWL-CAB01 | Wireless Networking Products | Computer Products | CPC (http://cpc.farnell.com/CS15139/computer-products/product.us0?sku=pro-signal-nlwl-cab01&_requestid=8381)

The connector on my aerial is an rt-sma male. Will this connect to my wireless card (considering the connector on the wireless card is rt-sma female) and work? I was hoping for something shorter in length, 1.8m seems a bit long.

dx100-uk
12-09-2008, 12:43 AM
trying to understand what you are rrying to do.
i guess you want to extend your wireless cards aerial further away from the PC to get a better signal?

your post dont exactly make it clear what you are trying to do & why.

but , yes, the cable your have ordered, will do what i have guessed you want, above.

through as you say, the lemgth might be a bit greater than you want.

also dont forget they also do aerial with longer leads on ready built. so might that be the answer?

dx

hakz
12-09-2008, 01:05 AM
trying to understand what you are rrying to do.
i guess you want to extend your wireless cards aerial further away from the PC to get a better signal?
your post dont exactly make it clear what you are trying to do & why.
but , yes, the cable your have ordered, will do what i have guessed you want, above.
through as you say, the lemgth might be a bit greater than you want.
also dont forget they also do aerial with longer leads on ready built. so might that be the answer?
dx

Hi, I wasn't entirely honest in what I wanted to do because I thought it wasn't really necessary to know, and I didn't really want to explain it, oh well.

this is what I want to do: Antenna Mod for Buffalo Air Station g54 (To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. I bought this usb a while ago wanting to do this in my spare time, but never got around to it. technically, I did say that the other end can be anything

dx100-uk
12-09-2008, 02:28 AM
right that makes sense now
do those kind of things every day , been in electronics 35yrs.

the fly you pointed to will be perfect for your purpose, though as you have eluded too already, p'haps 1.8mts is a bit long.

if i were to do it, i would give myself about 12-18" of fly, that way i could place my aerial a wee bit higher,
i only say this as i know how diff 2.4GHz can be to get an aceptable signal on if the objective is to increase the range the USB device can drag in AP's from.

i used to wardrive on a regular basis before Wi-Fi became so popular and AP's were rare.

TBH, i now find the 3G USB dongle is far more reliable & cheap to use, so don't do it too much, but the kit is still in my lappy bag should the need arise.

incidently, you might find my previous idea of getting one of the mini magmount Wi-Fi aerials more suitable, just cut the connector off it and solder the aerial + lead directly to the buffalo.

i did that with a pcimia card and got far better results that with a lead and arial via a connector, for each connector you need to use, you introduce connector loss, which at 2.4GHz can mean a serious 'deafness'.

dx

hakz
12-09-2008, 06:34 PM
right that makes sense now
do those kind of things every day , been in electronics 35yrs.
the fly you pointed to will be perfect for your purpose, though as you have eluded too already, p'haps 1.8mts is a bit long.
if i were to do it, i would give myself about 12-18" of fly, that way i could place my aerial a wee bit higher,
i only say this as i know how diff 2.4GHz can be to get an aceptable signal on if the objective is to increase the range the USB device can drag in AP's from.
i used to wardrive on a regular basis before Wi-Fi became so popular and AP's were rare.
TBH, i now find the 3G USB dongle is far more reliable & cheap to use, so don't do it too much, but the kit is still in my lappy bag should the need arise.
incidently, you might find my previous idea of getting one of the mini magmount Wi-Fi aerials more suitable, just cut the connector off it and solder the aerial + lead directly to the buffalo.
i did that with a pcimia card and got far better results that with a lead and arial via a connector, for each connector you need to use, you introduce connector loss, which at 2.4GHz can mean a serious 'deafness'.
dx

thanks for the reply, I went ahead and bought an antenna without an attached lead beforehand, so I do need to get a wire. Do you know where I could get a cable that small in length for my connector on the antenna? I tried to look for one in the maplins store, but couldn't find any. Wouldn't cutting the cable down in length reduce any loss?

hakz
28-09-2008, 05:20 AM
hi,i bought a pigtail off ebay, however when I stripped the cable, there is only one wire, no ground. There is a lot of shielding, and a plastic tube around the bare wire.

dx100-uk
28-09-2008, 06:25 PM
whAT WAS THE PRODUCT NUMBER ILL LOOK IT UP ON EBAY OR SEND A PIX?
THERE MUST BE A GRN

DX
oopps caps..

hakz
28-09-2008, 09:03 PM
hey, thanks for the reply. here is the product I bought.

IPAX/U.FL Plug to RP-SMA Female Pigtail 15cm IPEX WiFi on eBay, also Accessories Parts Components, Wireless Networking, Networking, Computing (end time 20-Oct-08 08:54:05 BST) (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/IPAX-U-FL-Plug-to-RP-SMA-Female-Pigtail-15cm-IPEX-WiFi_W0QQitemZ250273693128QQihZ015QQcategoryZ61816 QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1742.m153.l1262 )

I cut off the other end and there is a lot of shielding, and a plastic tube around the silver metal wire.

dx100-uk
28-09-2008, 11:27 PM
erm........
the braid is the ground.

dx

hakz
28-09-2008, 11:49 PM
erm........
the braid is the ground.

dx

seriously? I thought that was the shielding

dx100-uk
29-09-2008, 12:15 AM
which is connect to? to provide the earth screening...the ground.

just like coax

dx