PDA

View Full Version : best wireless router

hinamalik
08-09-2008, 09:35 PM
hi i need advice on buying a wireless router, i have been using dlink router and it really sucks, i have had problem with netgear as well, any other make u wud highly recommend?

wullboy
08-09-2008, 09:52 PM
i`ve got a linksys m8, and had no probs at all with it ??

caoimhe
09-09-2008, 04:55 PM
hi there

it sorta depends on wat u want to use its for......

as suggested and i have use it too, the linksys is one of the best going.... highly configurable all with dd-wrt bios :), great security, and one of the best thing is assigning an IP to MAC address.

but if it is range and signal, then Belkin N1-vision, with its gigabit ports and N-range... i am using it at the mo, and the only complaint that i have, is that i like the Linksys MAC-IP configuration... makes like so mush easy assigning address :)

southernpimp
09-10-2008, 06:59 PM
i suggest the dlink 624 gigabyte router with the three antennas

basingninja
21-10-2008, 07:30 PM
Never been able to fault linksys routers for easy of use and stability. Buffalo are good but a bit more of a pain in the arse to configure.

Collider
21-10-2008, 07:59 PM
Got a belkin wireless g router/2.4GHZ may not be a new one but by far the easiest to set up ;)

vincewrd
14-02-2009, 11:29 PM
ive had 3 dlink all crap had issues with 2 ps3's on it and droping out conection now got a netgear rangemax wireless n router cost ?145.00 but deff one of the best no lag on gaming etc and never to this day has it dropped a conection well happy

thelostone
14-02-2009, 11:37 PM
Got a belkin wireless g router/2.4GHZ may not be a new one but by far the easiest to set up ;)
Got to agree with you there coll,i had a belkin and it was a doddle to set up and if i remember rightly i never had a prob with it either

pande_monium
17-02-2009, 05:43 PM
Model: Belkin 54g / N1
Ownership: Over a period of 3-4 years
Pros: Easy setup. Good configuration abilities. Can be configured via a webpage - No configuration softwares to install. Good signal. Fast transfers/downloads.
Cons: Bad handshake with Apple products. Constant reboots required in order for Macbooks/iPhone to pick up & stay on the network. Real pain in case you've got Apple products. NO USB PORT.
Will buy again? Ummm... not as long as I've got Apple products which use internet.

Model: Apple Airport Extreme N
Ownership: 1-2 years
Pros: Easy setup. Plethora of config options. Unique identification network options. Very customisable. Stronger signal than the Belkin 54g at least (not compared to N1 in the same house). USB Port for Print Server/network USB hard disks/etc.
Cons: Bit cryptic terminology (not if you're a unix/linux guy). Reboot it once/twice each month when speeds go down (Vermin Media at play?). Require apple software for the smallest things like adding a new mac address (for filtering/access), etc.
Will Buy Again? Yes. But, like to improve some issues like config via webpage instead of bespoke software. But then, I suppose, that extends the router's security as you can't just hack into the network and change the router's config.

Found it easy to hack into the belkin 54g & N1... even though it was my own router LOL ! Still not found a way to get access to the Apple's config without the software.

DannyJK7615
12-03-2009, 01:09 AM
im not sure which is the best, i also would like to find that out.
I have the Belkin N1 Vision, it's quite good....but you can't assign a static IP to your computers....so when you put your IP adress in the DMZ , the next time you reboot, it might be someone elses computer in the DMZ.

Diablo13
12-03-2009, 06:30 AM
I used to use a Belkin High Speed Wireless G router and it was alright and easy to set up. As has already been said there are a couple of things it didn't have, like a usb connection, for it's price. Belkin are one of the big names in the industry, but to be honest, having had switch boxes and cables and things bearing the Belkin name which were not very good at all I now think that some of their stuff is quite basic and very overpriced?
I now have a Linksys WRT 300N wireless router, which I bought on the asdvice of a friend. It is a bit expensive, but it is an excellent bit of kit once set up. It doesn't have a usb connection either but it can store ip addresses and can be backed up to an image, then restored in case of problems. It has a very good range wireless connection as well as many other useful features.
I am pleased with mine because I run 2 pc's and an Xbox 360 all hardwired through it with no problem. It assignes each rig an ip and remembers them so you dont upgrade something or go offline for a time and then come back to find you cant get online because the other rig has acquired the wrong ip, which used to happen with the Belkin!
I have no hesitation in reccomending the Linksys, if you can find one of that model and want to afford it at around 50 to 70 quid?

MetalKettle
12-03-2009, 08:41 AM
Ive currently got a Belkin Wireless G+ router. Well impressed, had it about a month after my Linksys gave up the ghost. The Belkin maxes out my 20mb over wireless no problems (using newsgroups)