PDA

View Full Version : help please!

jay
06-07-2006, 05:24 PM
I'm pretty good with pc's but this has me stumped.

I'ts my sisters pc, the internet works fine and normal downloads are fine but torrents will no longer work.
She's using nvidia firewall, I shut that down but it made no difference.
I've tried Azureus, bitcomet and bittornado all with the same results.
She doesn't have a router and network activity is nominal.
Done full avg scan and ewido scan.

Tomorrow i'm going to update network driver and uninstall nvidia firewall.

Any ideas what else I could try?

Tallywadger
06-07-2006, 07:17 PM
It may be that some other program has taken control of the ports.. check that the windows firewall has not re-enabled itself and blocking the ports.

DessertDog
06-07-2006, 08:52 PM
It may be that some other program has taken control of the ports.. check that the windows firewall has not re-enabled itself and blocking the ports.
yep thats a good point m8 this sometimes happens done it to me several times had to disable it each time

The-Wappy-One
07-07-2006, 12:11 PM
hi jay i'd look at the firewall first..

Quotes form Torrent foruns and problems with nvidia firewall

I have been told it is because Nvidia firewall is incompatible and buggy and doesn't work with certain bittorrent programs (I am using the latest version of utorrent).

there r a few rules to use when installing the nvidia firewall

they are as follows

Rule #1. Do not install the nvidia firewall.
Rule #2. Do not install the nvidia firewall.
Rule #3. Repeat Rule 1 to 2.

it works on some systems, but it causes so many problems that is not recommended we have heard so many horror stories about it that the only advice we can give u is to follow the rules .........

I than found this on the nvidia forums

NVIDIA Forums -> Nforce4 firewall is unstable. (http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=15640)

NVIDIA Forums > Nvidia GeForce 4 Firewall Memory Leak (http://forums.nvidia.com/lofiversion/index.php?t2682.html)

TBH i would uninstall it and try another firewall as the nvidia one seams verry buggy, ive even seen people say disabeling it wont fix it only uninstall and a new firewall.

hope some of the links provide some usefull info ;)

renwich
07-07-2006, 05:09 PM
you could try a program called active ports, it will tell you what ports are in use and whats using them

titch12
25-08-2006, 08:00 PM
i would agree with previous posters , try downloading sygate personal firewall (its free) , thats what i did and works fine with all torrent downloaders.

akthar
25-08-2006, 08:39 PM
Something that everyone else has not mentioned is your ISP. I use F2S and they are very good with P2P stuff.

However, one time my Kazaa would not work. I rebuilt my PC 4 times after I couldn't fix it. BTW I support computers for a living.

The answer was that the ISP had blocked certain TCP ports and apps. They didn't notify anyone. I would give them a call just in case.

PS. If you have Windows XP, use system restore to take you back to the last time it was working.

Hope this helps.