PDA

View Full Version : bit of advice please

DavC
22-08-2008, 02:40 PM
Hi guys,

just after a bit of info about the dreambox, a friend of mine has just ordered a 500c and no doubt he will be mithering me to help him set it up when it arrives.

i've had no experience with dreamboxes at all. I'm ok with setting up dbox's though. how different are the two? is there anything i need to watch out for when i help him, i've read something about official images bricking the box or something? can anyone recommend a decent safe image?

is there any sort of guides about for the dreambox like pt-1's?

notanotherone
22-08-2008, 02:51 PM
you should be fine if you know how to do dbox not that much differnet ,youll need the same cable, xover and null modem,get dreamup to flash unless your really clever and can telnet,image....well there`s quite a few,the one that bricks is an enigma but think its something like 4.1 dont be afraid as these boxs are just as easy to flash as a dbox and of course you allways get help here

Magnu420
22-08-2008, 09:30 PM
they piece of cake to do,at least you cant put it into kien system :roflmao:

i think gemini image you need to keep away from,cos they have been bricking clone 500's
the image im using now on both of me 600's are pli iolite modded by mr.dude been using it
now for about 10 months not had a problem

i hope this helps.....

DavC
23-08-2008, 07:15 PM
thanks very much guys. just thought i best ask before i start. anyway i'll have a good go at it when he gets it but if i get really stuck then i'm sure one of you nice lot will help us out! :p

turner123
23-08-2008, 08:46 PM
Here you go mate i found these guides for the dreambox, like its been said its all pretty straight forward like the dbox, only differance really is the dreambox is like the size of a weetabix and the remote would be more suited for The bBorrowers lol, apart from that good little box
http://www.world-of-digital.com/forums/f84/dreambox-guides-27375.html

DavC
25-08-2008, 09:07 PM
haha, thanks turner mate. i was just gonna say how come i didnt spot those guides before, but then i noticed the upload date. cheers fella :)

Hunter
26-08-2008, 10:51 AM
the only diference i notice on the dream to the dbox is the service files being diferent ie: bouquets as i couldnt manage to set my service files sorted so i had to do it manually

hope this helps

DavC
04-09-2008, 08:04 AM
well got it all sorted :)

had a few issues when it didnt flash properly the first time... but a null modem cable and a little program called dreamup sorted that one out :)

after only having experience of a dbox i was quite impressed with the dm500, for starters the box is absolutely tiny, the remote is better laid out. I was also slightly dubious of the quality with it being a clone (as they all are these days) but there was nothing to worry about there either)

all in all a cool little box, and if anything was to ever happen to the dbox, one of these would be getting ordered :)

olly
09-09-2008, 07:42 PM
Hi,new to dreambox,but have cable dbox,can you still use a clone dreambox,but have to make sure you get the right image for flashing,as i thought i read it kills the box...i think ive missed something with the clone and non-clone? cheers olly.

fergalsworld
09-09-2008, 07:47 PM
Stay away from gemini images the others are ok for clones.

DavC
10-09-2008, 07:54 AM
as above, say no to gemini.

also your not gonna get a genuine dm500c these days. the clones really arent bad though.

Sicilian
10-09-2008, 10:00 AM
When looking for a clone try to enquire if it has a philips tuner with F type connectors. They're normally the best ones.

olly
10-09-2008, 07:38 PM
Cheers all,i might be after a dreambox,not specific to a 500s,but was asking in general about them.Is it also poss to get the same sort of channels,as i would on a dbox[premium],and will a sly dish pick these up,as i though about a bigger non motorised dish,but the landlord probably would not allow anything to big?? thanks again

Sicilian
10-09-2008, 08:19 PM
A 500s should pick up fta channels on a sly dish.