PDA

View Full Version : BT Home hub broadband problem

mburns
18-08-2008, 03:51 PM
Hi i got the new bt home hub for my broadband.

It was working fine until today now my connection is so so slow

I have reset the hub etc, i checked the connection properties

I have full signal etc

This is what it says in the properties

IPv4 Conectivity: ITNERNET
IPv6 Conectivity: LIMITED ??? Is this the problem?
Media State: enabled
Speed: 54.0 Mbs

Please help as its annoying the life out of me lol

little_pob
18-08-2008, 04:31 PM
What option are you on? Options 1 and 2 have a limited bandwidth a month and, I think, are throttled back if you go over. Option 3 and the new anywhere package are unlimited but a fair use policy applies at 'peak times'. If you are on option 1 or 2 and don't download/download enough to have used all you band width make sure you've got WEP turned on.

How are you connecting to the hub? ethernet? wireless? From the speed of 54.0Mbs I'd say wireless, try ethernet see if its any quicker - yes the <8Mb/s is much slower than the 54Mb/s of 802.11g and 100Mb/s of ethernet, but wireless can be affected by cordless phones, microwaves etc.

Are you relying on speed tests sites or are is this a perceived drop in speed? Best test of a line I've heard is to download from newsgroups. BTs are hosted by giganews but they are throttled to approx 1.5Mb/s (priority given to giganews' paying customers), but there are a few free trials about at the moment.

How much rain have you seen? ADSL can be affected by storm water in the conduits the line run down.

mburns
18-08-2008, 05:15 PM
Im on the unlimited option, i was downloading from newsgroups, i was downloading the other day at 525kbs, then today i was only getting 15kbs

I am wireless on my laptop

little_pob
18-08-2008, 05:43 PM
Is it just newsgroups or are http downloads slow too?

If you're using a subscribed service, check on their website that they've not been having server or service issues.

Check the BT service page too: BT Yahoo! Help (http://help.btinternet.com/yahoo/help/servicestatus)

Try restarting your newsreader (grabit, newsbin pro etc).

Won't hurt to hard restart the home hub either. The last BT tech I spoke to said you need to unplug from the mains for at least 20 secs, don't just use the 'reset to defaults' button.

Can I ask which newsgroup service?
If thats from news.btinternet.com I only get ~174kBps from and I'm jealous ;)

mburns
18-08-2008, 11:31 PM
All downloads are slow for some reason

I get all my things from newzleech, i use altbinz for downloads, 5 unlimited connections :)

I have reset it, i have turned it off aswell, still no joy, its doing my head in now!

little_pob
19-08-2008, 09:13 AM
Daft question, you do have microfilters on every phone outlet and the home hub in the master socket don't you? NB with ADSL2+ the use of master socket is no longer the hard and fast rule, but it is best practice as far as I know.

It might be worth phoning BT to do a line test. Before doing this, unplug every extension and microfilter. Take the face plate off the master box, and use a corded handset in the test socket to listen for noise. Hopefully they just need to play with the line gain.

How old is your ADSL subscription with BT?

If the subscription is only a few weeks old I have a feeling that BT will put it down to the 'training period'. This is when you get ADSL at the max your line can handle, BT then throttle this back to just below the average speed 'for consitent connection speeds'.

BTW read on another forum that disconnecting the home hub for 30 mins should restart the line training, but theres no guaruntee of this.