PDA

View Full Version : How can I extract infornation out of a TV tuner card ?

foxclab01
16-08-2008, 02:56 PM
Hello to all.

I am creating a home theater with HVR3000. I would like to know 2 things :

1. The characteristics are :
CPU - Intel Celeron Dual Core E1200 1.6GHz S775
Memory - DDR2 2GHz / 667 / PC5400
Power - 450W
Video Card - Forsa GeForce 6600GT 512MB DDR2 PCIe w/DVI TV-Out
OS - XP pro sp2
Will I be ok for all the functions of HVR3000 or will I need something stronger?

2. I want to add an LCD screen in front of the htpc, that will display some information. Among that, I want to display the current channel of the receiver ( either by its code name or by its frequency is fine ). Is there a way to extract this info from HVR3000 ? ( either from the card itself or from the software ).

Thank you all in advance.

foxclab01
14-09-2008, 05:56 PM
Good evening everybody.

So I am back with some more questions :

1. Despite Hauppauge HVR3000, are there any other tuner cards that combine All-In-One signals ( Analog, Digital & Satellite altogether ) ? From those, if any, which ones do have alternative software ( Freeware, Linux etc ? ) Which ones are compatible with all the transmmiting systems? ( PAL, SECAM & NTSC )

2. Is there any freeware program for Video Comparison? What I want to do is to compare 2 Video Streams and to be able to understand whether they are the same video or not.

And some questions about a Video Server that I want to create :

3. Given the fact that the Server will be into my PC, which is the best way for me to avoid Hacking ??

4. Which processor is the quickest for the combination Apache Server, PHP and MySQL ? Core 2 Duo E8500, Core 2 Quad Q6600 or Core 2 Quad Q8200 ?

And a final a bit irrelevant question :

5. Is there a wireless USB ? That is to say, how can I make a device which has a USB cable for connection with a PC to communicate wirelessly with the PC without having to create a whole wireless LAN ? What I trully want is an adaptor to connect into the edge of the USB cable of the device, so the USB signal will be transmitted wirelessly to the PC where there will be another adaptor in some USB port to collect the wireless signal.

Thank you all very much.

foxclab01
01-11-2008, 07:07 PM
Good evening again to everybody. I completed my research about the Home Theater PC. The system is going to be this ( Note that most of the sites are in GREEK but this should be no problem as the components are ?International, and also there are PICTURES so that everybody can see what I mean  )

CPU : E-SHOP.GR: AMD ATHLON 64 X2 4200+ 2.20GZ AM2 TRAY (To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Mobo : E-SHOP.GR: ASROCK ALIVEXFIRE-ESATA2 R3.0 (To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. RAM : E-SHOP.GR: SUPERTALENT T800UB2GC5 2GB DDR2 PC6400 800MHZ (To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. HDD : E-SHOP.GR: WESTERN DIGITAL 40GB WD400JB 7200RPM ATA100 (To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Video Card : E-SHOP.GR: ASUS EAH3450/HTP 256MB PCI-E RETAIL (To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. TV Card : E-SHOP.GR: HAUPPAUGE WINTV HVR-3000 (To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. OS : E-SHOP.GR: MICROSOFT WINDOWS VISTA HOME BASIC ENGLISH OEM (To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. My questions are the above :

1. Is a 450W PSU enough ? Which is the best PSU in your opinion ?

2. Does the system have enough power for me to watch Full HD movies ? ( NOT to record, just to watch them ). If not, what should I change ?

3. What is your opinion about replacing the HDD drive of the HTPC with a Flash Memory unit ?
E-SHOP.GR: TRANSCEND TS4GCF133 4GB COMPACT FLASH 133X (To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. YES, it CAN be bootable through the IDE bus, as long as there is the proper adaptor !! ) :
Embedded Single Slot and Dual Slot IDE-CF Adapter from Addonics (To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. 4. Do you believe that the above kind of equipment generally helps the silence of the PC ? Do I need them for my HTPC ?
??? ??????? ?????????? [COOLTEK 733] - €12.90 : elektronik.gr, electronics (http://elektronik.gr/eshop/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=13790&zenid=df3474eb181afb539ba4d54e56e33c06)
E-SHOP.GR: SHARKOON SILENCER KIT (To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. 5. The Hauppauge TV card does not have any cooling mechanism. Does it need one ? If so, do these little coolers help ?
E-SHOP.GR: ENZOTECH BMR-C1 VGA RAMSINK (To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. 6. Despite the Hauppauge TV card, I only found two others
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. BlackGold (GDI) :: TV Tuner Products :: BGT3540 :: 6 in 1 :: Dual digital satellite, Dual digital terrestrial, Dual analogue terrestrial :: PCI express card (http://shop.blackgold.tv/product/3540.html)
that combine analog, digital AND satellite TV ( 3 to 1 ). Does anyone know which of the three ( or maybe even another one ) is the best ?

7. Are the above wireless routers good ? ( I want them for the basic stuff, nothing too ?heavy? )
E-SHOP.GR: TP-LINK TD-W8901G 54M WIRELESS ADSL2+ ROUTER OVER PSTN (To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. E-SHOP.GR: TP-LINK TD-W8920GB WIRELESS BROADBAND ADSL2+ ROUTER OVER ISDN (To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. E-SHOP.GR: TP-LINK TL-WN322G 54M WIRELESS USB ADAPTER (To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. 8. I have used a special device to read the codes of the Remote control of the Hauppauge TV card. Now I have these codes in my computer. I want to put them in a remote control that I will create myself. Does anybody knows how ? I do not want universal or learnable remotes, I prefer to create something my own, using a microcontroller. How am I going to put the codes inside the microcontroller ? Does anybody have a schematic ?

?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ??????

...And of course some things about the server I also want to make :

10. I want to connect a Usb fingerprint reading device to the Server, that works in VISTA and is reliable. Which of the above ( or maybe another one ) is the best ?
Dell : Dell Dell - Fingerprint Reader - External - USB - Kit : Security and Protection : Home & Home Office (http://accessories.euro.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=uk&cs=ukdhs1&l=en&s=dhs&sku=461-10047#Overview)
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Amazon.co.uk: TeckNet FMS200 Fingerprint Reader - Fingerprint reader - USB - Black: Electronics & Photo (To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Amazon.com: APC BIOPOD Biometric Password Manager (USB): Electronics (To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Amazon.com: Microsoft Fingerprint Reader: Electronics (To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Amazon.com: Eikon Digital Privacy Manager (USB fingerprint reader) - works with Firefox, Windows Vista, and now Mac: Electronics (To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. HP USB Biometric Fingerprint Reader CIS USB - NEW UK on eBay, also, Other Input Devices, Input Devices, Computing (end time 02-Nov-08 09:44:31 GMT) (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280273677580&ssPageName=MERCOSI_VI_ROSI_PR4_PCN_BIX_Stores&refitem=280275745128&itemcount=4&refwidgetloc=closed_view_item&refwidgettype=osi_widget&_trksid=p284.m185&_trkparms=algo%3DSI%26its%3DI%26itu%3DUCI%26otn%3D 4%26ps%3D41)
athena_101 (To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Live-scan Sliding Fingerprint Reader Biometric Reader Fingerprint Door Reader (To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. l)
FPR-620 Optical Fingerprint Reader (To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Fingerprint Reader (To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. USB Combo Fingerprint & Smart Card Reader (To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. U-Match Matchbook Fingerprint Scanner (To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Fingerprint Reader (To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. FPR-201B Capacitive Fingerprint Reader (To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. 11. I am going to have the above usb fingerprint reading device 10 meters away from the server, and I cannot use a usb wire. So I thought that, since there are some devices called wireless printer servers, which can connect a PC with a usb printer wirelessly, maybe there are some devices that can connect ANY Usb device wirelessly to the PC. So I found the MFP Servers ( Multi Function Print Servers ). Unfortunately, they support multi function jobs, but only for printers that are also scanners and photocopy machines and faxes all together. With them, they do support print, fax & scan, but I am not sure if they work with ANY usb device.
Does anybody know anything about this ?
The MFP Servers that I discovered are the above ( any other device is welcome of course !! ) :
AirLive WFP-101U Wireless Multi-function Print Server - Wireless - DealsDirect.com.au Australia (To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Topcom International - Wireless Print Server 1000g (To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. 2-USB-Port Wireless MFP Server | CENS.com | Supplier Site - KCODES CORPORATION (To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Buy and Save $33.45 MicroNet Wireless MFP Print Server, 1... (SP781W) (To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. heise online-Preisvergleich: Belkin Wireless MFP Printserver, 54Mbps, USB (F1UP0002) Preisvergleich bei Heise Preisvergleich / Deutschland (To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. LogiLink Wireless LAN MFP Server USB 2.0 Test und Preisvergleich (To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Printer Servers — AMPS240W (To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Network, misc - Micronet SP781W Wireless MFP Server (To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Taipei Trade Shows (To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. 4DHMGm09L9RqDntcKq28l6xPGZ0d6Qyy!-689049336?comno=30922431&showno=2008NSC1015&docno=63952)
ATELCO COMPUTER - Articledetail (To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Amazon.com: Wireless-G PrintServer with Multifunction Printer Support: Electronics (To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. D-Link DPR-1260 Wireless-G Multifunction Print Server (To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. LevelOne WUS-3200 Wireless-G USB Multi Function Print Server (To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. 12. Instead of putting case fans in the Server case, do you think that the above solution ( placed next to the Server, of course the case will be wide open ) is good ?
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. 13. What do you think about the above devices if I want to cool out a RAID set of hard disks ? Which is better ? ( even something else if you know something )
E-SHOP.GR: THERMALTAKE A2309 I-CAGE FOR 3 HDD'S + 12CM SILENT FAN (To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. E-SHOP.GR: AKASA AK-HD03-BK HARD DRIVE COOLING KIT (To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. 14. The Cat7 wires are compatible with the rest of the Ethernet devices ? Are they worth their price ? If a wire is small, gold plated and shielded, is it SO MUCH better that a usual one, so that I have to buy it ?
For example, I found the above wire :
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. 15. And something else about these wires :Do they make just the LAN go faster or they also make the Internet connection faster, if a PC connects to its router through a wire like this ?

16. Last question : 
Is this the best router in the world ? Do you know anyone better ( regardless the cost ) ?
E-SHOP.GR: CISCO 877-SEC-K9 DSL ROUTER PSTN (To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Thank you all in advance for your time. I apologize for my English and my long-long post.