PDA

View Full Version : Recording using sky?

moderngirl
11-08-2008, 01:36 PM
i have cancelled sky, can i still use my sky plus box to record? if so, i would appreiate any guidance.. thanx in advanced

krazylegz
11-08-2008, 04:32 PM
nope either need a valid sub or still pay them ?10 a month for the recording features

DavC
12-08-2008, 08:09 AM
might as well ebay it any buy a PVR with freeview or something

moderngirl
12-08-2008, 09:59 AM
ok, does that mean i can still record fta? using a normal arial connection?

DavC
12-08-2008, 10:19 AM
yep, it's just normal freeview with a hard drive built in.

just plug it into your normal aerial and watch/record/playback freeview channels.

couldn't recommend you any specific one, so I'll leave that to someone else.

other option would be to look at a hard drive interface for your dbox, or a dreambox with a built in hard drive.

moderngirl
12-08-2008, 10:25 AM
i have a dbox, and im not confident enuff to put a hard drive into it. :(

little_pob
12-08-2008, 10:30 AM
ok, does that mean i can still record fta? using a normal arial connection?
Not with the sky box. As stated the PVR function on a sky+ box needs a valid subscription to work - whether that is the minimum package or a ?10 a month 'top-up' to get PVR on Sky's ftv sat service.

Plus the sky box won't work at all with a terrestrial ariel connection as its a different type of tuner.

You might be able to use your Sky+ box as a Freesat FTA viewing box - I'm sure one of the freesat using members will be able to confirm - but you won't have PVR functionality.

If you have an HD/HD-ready TV you might want to look at the HD sat tuners with PVR abilities as it uses your old sky dish.

moderngirl
12-08-2008, 11:13 AM
ok i have a hd tv, and freesat, but no recorder :(

thelostone
12-08-2008, 06:03 PM
You could always get a dvd recorder with freeview, my panny upscales the pic to 1080i and it is a good pic on my plasma just a thought