PDA

View Full Version : Unlock - Jailbreak???

Albertz
08-08-2008, 09:51 PM
Can someone tell me if there is a difference between unlocking and jailbreak on the iphone and how long does it take to unlock one?

I asked in a shop and he told me it takes a full day to do, is that true?

pande_monium
09-08-2008, 05:52 PM
Can someone tell me if there is a difference between unlocking and jailbreak on the iphone and how long does it take to unlock one?

I asked in a shop and he told me it takes a full day to do, is that true?

Bollocks !! I'd show the 'bird' to the sales guy.

Unlock - An activity to enable the phone to accept non-original provider SIMM cards. Meaning, if you bought a phone via a contract with Orange (say) and unlocked it, then, you would be able to use a T-Mobile/O2/Vodafone/etc on the phone.

Jailbreak - An activity to remove the restriction on the iPhone to accept only the SIMM card that came with the iPhone. Meaning, you will be able to use O2 pay-as-you-go SIMM cards on the iPhone once you jailbreak it.

An iPhone 2G (the original one) can be jailbroken & unlocked, no matter what Firmware it is on (1.0.1 / 1.1.1 / 1.1.2 / 1.1.3 / 1.1.4 / 2.0 / 2.1) in about 15-20 min at max.. This would include downloading the relevant files/etc.

An iPhone 3G (the NEW one with the GPS) can ONLY be jailbroken. It cannot be unlocked at this moment in time. If you have the NEW iPhone, don't upgrade to 2.1 firmware using iTunes. Instead, create your own ispf firmware version of 2.1 and load it. It will enable you to rollback to 2.0 should things go funny with firmware 2.1.

Hope this helps.

Albertz
10-08-2008, 12:25 AM
I was in seeing the guy in the shop today and i asked him why it was taking so long, he told me it was to do with software on some of the iphone's. He told me that he has to get some patch direct from apple then load those files on then he can unlock it. My mate has an iphone and he said his only took about 30min's.

Thanks for the info mate, appreciate it.