PDA

View Full Version : router

awol
05-07-2006, 03:14 PM
hi there,

which router can you recommened me?

i have cable connection for me internet.

thanks

awol

Kiefels
05-07-2006, 04:02 PM
If you have a cable broadband connection e.g NTL Then you will need a DSL router.

Which one you choose is dependant on what you require from your router.

The minimum that you should be looking at is a router with 802.11g capability which 5 times faster than 802.11b Although if you use older wireless cards in your network a router that works on both is your best option. Also owing to the widespread use of wireless connections and some unscrupulous characters using your network for themselves or even to steal from you I suggest you get one with WPA security and when you set it up make sure you use a strong key for it. MAC address connection is fast and reliable but MAC addresses can be cloned and can be bad news for you.
(If that went over your head I suggest you read up about it)

Another contributing factor in router choice is of course PRICE I use TRUST products and can honestly say they are GARBAGE but Netgear, Dlink and netsys are good makes.

Decision is yours. But whatever you do make security a foremost option and for this reason a router with a built in firewall in a good route to take.

Good luck and good hunting.

awol
05-07-2006, 04:11 PM
thanks m8!

seamouse
14-07-2006, 10:12 PM
i install telewest and always say linksys, pi%% easy to set up

decoy7
19-08-2006, 12:04 AM
"If you have a cable broadband connection e.g NTL Then you will need a DSL router."

may be wrong but i thought NTL Broadband used an ethernet lead out your cable box in which case you would need Broadband router, not a DSL router no?

Haladini
19-08-2006, 12:25 AM
"If you have a cable broadband connection e.g NTL Then you will need a DSL router."
may be wrong but i thought NTL Broadband used an ethernet lead out your cable box in which case you would need Broadband router, not a DSL router no?

Yes, you are correct. I have N*L broadband and have the ethernet port from the cable modem connected to a 3com OfficeConnect Wireless 11g Cable/DSL Router, which is a standard wireless router, no modem built in.

minty_type-r
07-01-2007, 10:46 PM
If your technical and have the money Cisco otherwise Linksys.

jake
12-01-2007, 06:56 PM
just a nice tip i have read on some other forum that if you are on 4/10 meg ntl/telewest you can ring customer service and receive free wireless router ;)

satman
16-01-2007, 12:08 AM
lynksys are ace

kryten77
16-01-2007, 09:39 AM
Cheap and cheerful one from Origo. I got one of these for ?20 and am amazed at the features on it. Built in firewall, simple port forwarding and a set up wizard covering every aspect of wireless networking.