PDA

View Full Version : Samsung or LG

BigDave99
21-06-2008, 10:46 AM
I'm down to the last two choices, I'd really appreciate a view, it's a big gig this, I'm low on cash so I can't afford a mistake.

LG 42" 6000 or Samsung Rose lE40A656?

I know one has a Philips and one has Sony panels, the LG sound is inferior, and LGs SD upscaling is not as good. But I still feel the LG is a good bet. My only output is a DBOX2, so no HD.

Not much in it pricewise, please help.

Thanks and regards,

BD

pande_monium
25-06-2008, 11:52 AM
LG 42LG6000 or Samsung Rose LE40A656

Points that may help you come to a decision.

Samsung has a far better contrast ratio of 50000:1 when compared to the LG's 15000:1 - Samsung

Samsung supply LCD panels to Sony. So, in effect, you're practically buying a Sony, but with a smaller price tag. - Samsung
Both have 4 HDMI, Scart, Composite & USB inputs - no clear winner here.
Looks - both have a reddish tinge to them... equally sexy. Some might prefer the LG's aperture & red rear panel (how many of us actually look at the rear panel?) and some might like the reddish tinge of the Samsung. I prefer the screen to go right up to the edge... so personally, the Samsung would win for me. But, I'm not buying. You are. - ??

The Samsung is 2" smaller than the LG. Personally you wouldn't miss them at all. But facts state that LG wins. - LGThese are figures on paper. At the end of the day, YOU have to watch the tv. So, your subjective decision is imperetive.

Personally, I'd go for the Samsung.

Buy the TV from John Lewis... they'll match the cheapest price you can find and will offer a 5 year warranty on the TV as well.

Gazer
25-06-2008, 03:06 PM
For me LG wins every time, only because iv got 2 of them (LG 50PG3000) and the all singing (LG 50PT85) with integrated 160GB hard drive to pause and rewind live TV which i got 3 weeks ago...........dont tell nao ;)

trueno
26-06-2008, 11:22 AM
Sound on Samsung is appalling too at 10x2W:
LE40A656 LCD - television SAMSUNG (To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. I have a Samsung Plasma PS42A456 and sound is ****e! Picture quality is great though - but perhaps is because it's plasma - not sure because I don't have an LCD TV.

Checkout Pixmania: Digital Cameras, Camcorders, IT products, MP3, Telephones, Home appliances - online High Tech shop UK (To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. my plasma there for ?572) - their prices are much lower than John Lewis which will be good for price matching when you go there (as pande mentioned).

BigDave99
26-06-2008, 07:50 PM
Oh for crying out loud! Thanks for the advice, I think.

I think the Samsung may edge it, I'll run the sound through my home theatre box.

Will John Lewis price match an online deal? Dixons.co.uk for example.

Seriously, thanks for the views.

BD

ScouseGit
30-06-2008, 04:22 PM
Hi Pal , I've an LG plasma in one room and LG LCD in the other Both are excellent units with the LCD probably just shading the picture quality but I got a friend with Samsung units and he ain't too impressed !
and that is from a completely un biased point of view .
Hope that's some help .

amara3
13-07-2008, 07:39 PM
Hi Ive got a Samsung LCD in the bedroom and Samsung Plasma downstairs. I think the SD picture on the LCD is rubbish.

Diablo13
14-07-2008, 05:53 AM
I've got a 42" LG plasma I bought a couple of years ago now, so may no longer be relevant, but it's ok. The sound is quite good, better through a 5.1 add on speaker system obviously. The picture is decent but it used to have a problem keeping up when there is a lot of transmitted action on the screen, though not with dvd through an HDMI socket.
Lcd displays have got bigger and better since I bought mine though. Bear in mind that a plasma gets very hot on the screen and they can also suffer from "screen burn" whereby a ghost image can be left if you left something in pause mode for a while, like a game or a dvd.
If i were going to replace it I would go with a Samsung as when I have looked at them in the shops the picture seems very vivid and almost 3d like.

One thing I will say is I would'nt touch Pixmania with a bargepole! Their prices are good, but hope nothing goes wrong with it as their customer service is a bag of ballcocks. I bought an hdmi dvd player from them which was faulty as soon as I got it. Trying to return it the next day was a nightmare of unanswered emails, phone calls and three weeks "needs to be returned to manufacturers in France" replies, before I got my refund. I did not get a refund on their warranty/discount card that I bought along with it? Never again. Also if you buy locally from whoever, you should save on postage, less chance of it getting damaged en route and somewhere to complain to if anything does go wrong with it.
Best advice is choose the one you like, at a price you can afford and enjoy it. There will always be something supposedly better at half the price next week, thats just the way it is with electronics in particular.